1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to: "Swap Discs" on an Unmodified PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jjax, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jjax

jjax Guest

So you've found out a way to load a backup disc on a non-modified PS2 (no "Chip" needed!) but it says you need to "Swap Discs"! - This means you need to let the PS2 think it's still got the original PS2 disc in the disc tray, but u've actually swapped it for your cdr or dvdr. To do this, you can't just press the eject tray, that way the PS2 re-checks the disc everytime. You need to get a way of manually removing the disc and placing your disc there instead! - There's two main ways of doing this:

1. Flip Top (buy a new cover for your ps2 off the net which allows you to lift the lid on your ps2 and watch the disc spinning, lift it out, and place your cdr/dvdr there instead)

2. Slide Tool Method (They sometimes call this the knife trick) - i recommend this method because it doesn't cost you anything and you can do it all from home! Read below:

a.) First, make your slide card/tool - One of the moderators, Oner, posted a good pic of the dimensions you should roughly work towards - just cut it out of a plastic card - doesn't need to be exact. Here's the pic:

[​IMG]

b.) Next, remove the front cover off your disc tray (sounds dangerous, but you just clip off two pins either side - easily clipped back in place if you're careful when taking it off!). There's a good guide of how to do this here:

http://www.console.com/_playstation_2/slidecard/ps2_slidecard_2.jpg

c.) Now, and finally, you use your slide tool to move the white cog under the disc tray (now visible because you've removed the cover off the disc tray) - you grab the white cog and pull it to the right to open it - the tray will move forward a little, grab it and pull it the rest of the way - swap the disc in there with your backup disc and push the tray closed - pull the white cog back to the left and you've successfully swapped the discs! There's some good images of these here:

[​IMG] – posted by Oner

AND

http://www.console.com/_playstation_2/slidecard/ps2_slidecard_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  2. bhee

bhee Regular member

i cant see the pin i can only see a big white circle at the top of my ps2.

3. bhee

bhee Regular member

n wen i made my own it made a funny sound wen i put it in

4. bhee

bhee Regular member

n r does measure right

5. jjax

jjax Guest

It shouldn't make a big noise when you put your slide tool in (provided you put it where the instructions say) - you should only pull the white cog to the right as indicated when you have a swap program like cdloader or cogswaploader or swapmagic loaded - these stop the disc spinning so when you slide the cog to the right, the laser wont get damaged (if the disc hasn't stopped spinning, you'll get a harsh noise coming from the disc tray when you try and slide the white cog - this wont happen with any of those programs loaded!)

6. kaler

kaler Guest

how to do this with slim ps2
    can u show me the card and some pictures please.

7. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

The procedure for slims is completely different. The slim, unlike the fat, has no disc tray. Instead, it has a lid. The way this works is that instead of having an Eject button that tells the PlayStation 2 that the tray is out, the slim, when the lid is opened with the Open
    button, the lid will pop up and the PlayStation 2 gets a signal that the lid is open. To get a swap disc to work, you need to block 2 lid sensors and move a disc break at the back of the lid area. Here are some pictures from the TwistTool web site showing what needs to be blocked:

For Version 12:

Sensor 1(located over On/Reset button):[​IMG]

Disc Break(located to the right of the laser at the back):[​IMG]

Sensor 2(located inside the console. Piece to activate the sensor needs to be placed in the gap next to the hinge):[​IMG]

For Version 13/14:

Sensor 1(located over On/Reset button): [​IMG]

Disc Break(located to the right of the laser at the back):
    [​IMG]

Sensor 2(located inside the console. Piece to activate the sensor needs to be fitted on the left side of the metal plate):[​IMG]

I have a free method to MOD slims, not for the Version 12, though. It's my Cardboard and Straw MOD. The link is in my signature. I presume you have a slim, kaler? Tell me your version first. You can identify your version by looking under the PlayStation 2 for a big tag. On the tag, look for the model number(SCPH- followed by 5 numbers). These numbers identify your version:

Version 12: American console: SCPH-70012
    Canadian console: SCPH-70011
    Japanese console: SCPH-70000
    British console: SCPH-70003
    Australian console: SCPH-70002
    Other European consoles: SCPH-70004

Version 13: American/Canadian console: SCPH-70001
    European consoles: SCPH-70004(no phone line at the back)

Version 14: American/Canadian console: SCPH-75001
    European consoles: SCPH-75004
    Australian console: SCPH-75003
    Israelian console: SCPH-75002

Hope this helps identify what you need for your slim to make your backups work with Swap Magic or any other boot disc.

8. kaler

kaler Guest

its a British console: SCPH-70003.
    :)

9. kaler

kaler Guest

its nearly 2 years i bought it.
    is it still have warrenty or its finished.
    where can i buy tools & Disk for this to play backups.

10. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

You have a Version 12. Before doing anything, I would recommend you solder a laser fix in your PlayStation 2. The Version 12's laser is a ticking time bomb, which could burn out at any moment.
    To the boot disc and modification tools required. I have what you need(it's free). I have 2 guides in my signature, one for MODing slims(not for the Version 12 unfortunately, but I think it can be done. Tip: when you reach to the straw part, instead of flattening the straw, try to squeeze the straw to the point where it will go in the gap shown in the picture for Version 12's second sensor). Post what happens when you're done with that on the thread of the guide. I also have a guide to exploiting slims(compatible with every slim), which the best(I think) alternative to Swap Magic. Both links are in my signature. Here's what each MOD is:
    Cardboard and Straw MOD: make your own tools to block the sensors.
    Triple-method way to exploiting slim PlayStation 2s: make your own boot disc, and get it working using Action Replay MAX and CD Loader.
    Try them out, post how everything went(here and on the thread of the two guides).

11. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

Yeah, I use a swap disk and slide card. Bassicly, just take the front off of teh drive adn put in swap magic. When it says to swap games, slide the card, left to right to open the drive, anc right to left to clost it and tehn push x.

12. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Arnt slide cards one of the worst methods when using Swap Magic? I have heard that the disk tray motor give out in a hurry after incorrect use of the card. Any truth to this?

13. Goonerz

Goonerz Member

Dont need to cover disc brake on slim ps2, i just taped sensors down and it works. Get swap magic 3.8 coder if ur gunna buy it, its great!

14. diddaking

diddaking Member

may be a stupid question but can u swap with different games? to give an example can I put in an original copy of Pro evo 5 and swap it with a backed-up copy of hitman blood money?

15. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

I highly doubt it diddaking. SM works becuase it doesnt direclty load like a game does. Once u boot up a game, i dont see how u can swap in a backup of another game. This is an interesting question, any1 have a better response than my weak attempt??

16. kaler

kaler Guest

17. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

That product will work perfectly for ur slimline, although i prefer the flip top. It will allow u to play backups, and no, it will not harm ur ps2 in any way, although if u use bad media to backup ur games, that will KILL ur laser, so take caution.

18. kaler

kaler Guest

what is good media to backup games.

19. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

taiyo yuden or verbatim 8X dvd-rs:)

20. dabundan

dabundan Regular member

i dont see the white pin that i have to move ot the right when i tak eout the covering. i have a v 4 ps2 if that has anything to do with it