How would you build a digital home from the ground up?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jojo78, Feb 8, 2008.

1. jojo78

jojo78 Member

If you were going to start with no pre-existing hardware or software and wanted to build a complete digital home system what types of hardware and software would you use. Here is a list of requirements how would you meet them all?

1. A wired and wireless home network consisting of 3-4 desktop computers.

2. A home server running some type of raid (ie raid 5 or 6) with a large amount of storage, say 4TB or more with room for expansion.

3. Wireless access in the home with security (ie WEP, WAP).

4. Access from outside the network via laptop with an aircard with security (ie VPN)

What i am looking for is a buisness solution for the home, i would rather not use prebuilt items such as WD Mybook or other pre-built store bought NAS.

What type of router would you suggest?
    What type of raid controller card?
    Please even expand upon my requirements and add some of your own input. How would you do it?

2. seb32

seb32 Regular member

It all depends on your budget ;-)

Are you actually planning to do this, or is this for some kind of project? (If you don't mind me asking)

For router, it depends on how big the house is. You could use a single wireless router at one end of the house, and a repeater at the other end, and have a wired router as well. If you had a router powerful enough, I guess one could be enough for the wireless. You could also combine the wireless and wired routers, but one router = less performance.

For raid, if you want raid 5 or 6, I'd suggest something like this: http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp
    Google works fine for raid info.

When you say "complete digital home", were you thinking of adding stuff other than computers? There are some pretty cool house-type electronic management devices, check out X10: http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm