Hub vs Router?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DarkmanX, May 9, 2004.

1. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I have a 4 port D-link router now and I've been happy with it. My ? is that the router is placed between my computer and the modem in my upstairs offcie and I was going to have one port go from the router into a modem jack I hardwired to my basement where I have another modem jack for my X-box and a Playstation 2. Can I set up a hub in the basement to plug in both the systems or will I have to get another router. Before anyone says it, I know I should've went wireless, but hindsight...

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

You can use a hub there. All you need to do is make sure than each device has a separate IP address. It's similar to the setup I have - a PC and PS2 connected to 2 of the ports and a single wire going from one of the other ports to a hub that connects the kid's PCs.

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

How many ports it the router you have? if more then one, just use it like a hub. I have found that it is actually harder to find hubs these days. Router may actually be cheaper with no IP issues.

4. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

I have 4 ports. The problem is that the router is upstairs and the game consoles will be in the basement. I was hoping that I could run a cat 5 cable into the second port and plug that into a high speed jack I installed and is directly wired to a jack in the basement. Then I would plug a cat 5 cable from that jack into a hub and split the signal into 2 or 3 (if Gamecube goes online) consoles with a hub.

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

That will work, thats how I have my kids PCs hooked up now. Just a single wire going from the router to a hub in the other room where their pcs are located and splitting off there to each computer.

6. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Do I have to have separate IP addresses for the consoles?

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

Yes, both will need separate IPs or only use one at a time. I manually assign my IPs for the inside network instead of using dhcp so I have plenty to choose from.

8. DarkmanX

DarkmanX Regular member

Any guide as to how to manually set the IP network addresses? If not, I can live with only being on one console at a time. I was looking around and I can't find any hubs at any decent rates, but I did find another D-link (604) for $19 at Tiger Direct. Can I have two routers hooked to each other? One will send the signal from one port to the other in the basement for the 2 consoles.

9. vans12

vans12 Regular member

you should be able to just plug and play.