I am setting up a small network and need some guidance!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by cdneger, Nov 20, 2003.

1. cdneger

cdneger Member

I have a PIV and an AMD 2400+. Both running XP.

I need to set up a network consisting of these two machines. How should I go about this? I asked in a shop and the guy told me that I could either buy a router, so that I can share my ADSL as well, or I could use a network cable to connect my networkcards without a router or hub.
    I am trying the latter, and I don't seem to get any results...

I have set the TCP/IP on the PIV to 192.168.0.1 and on the AMD to 192.168.0.2 like the guy told me, I have created a workgroup, I have run the wizard on both pc's but neither 'sees' the other!

What am I missing? Keep in mind I am a COMPLETE n00b when it comes to networking, this being my very first attempt and all.........

2. Matador

Matador Regular member

Don't worrie it took me a couple of months to do that same thing when I was a n00b.I was such a noob I didn't deserve the double 00's.lol

But this was when Windows 98SE and 2000 were out.

*RJ45 Cross-Over Cable
    *1 NIC on both PC's
    Thats all you need if you went tru the Wizard all ready.With that you won't need a hub/router_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Intel D875PBZ - P4 w/HT 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB Cache - 2GB DDR PC3200 - 760GBs [1x500GB - 1x160GB -1 x60GB +x40GB] - GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB[/small]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  3. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, I would still prefer a wireless router especially they are pretty cheap now. Setup is also very simple by connecting router to network card using a cross cable, go ti Internet explorer and key in default IP and you will get control pannel. the rest of your PCs with wireless card attached will be auto detacted and just follow WinXP instruction to do the rest. ASDL & printer can be link to router and share with the rest without switching on the master PC all the time.

4. cdneger

cdneger Member

I have been through networking hell but have finally managed to get it all working beautifully with the help of a router/modem/switch/hub all-in-one miracle box. I can now share drives, printers and the like as well as access the internet on both pc's. I'm loving it! Only thing: is there a way to test the network speed? It's said to be a 100Mbps network, and I was wondering how I can test to see if it really is so.

5. onestop

onestop Regular member

Hello, 100mps is more like direct link with network cable. My 820.11b wireless card is doing only 11Mbps and the new 802.11g will be much faster but apparently still not very popular due to lack of software support. If I'm not wrong the connecting signal and speed is reflected when you click on the blinking network icon below the screen.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003