1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't install CD-DVD-ROM Generator

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by johnr283, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I deleted my original post.

When i try to run the setup.exe, it says it can't find installation languages (I didn't show the path) but the file it needs is setup.lid which isn't in the specified path.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I downloaded it but I didn't install it because it contained a copy of imgburn and my security application took it out right away. There was a time when I used Imgburn almost exclusively but it now comes bundled with opencandy adware/malware. You have the option of not installing opencandy but the very thought of it being bundled with Imgburn was enough to turn me off.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I see an .exe for setting up imgburn but there's no indication that it would run when trying to install the Generator. Strange thing is that it's looking for a language file but I'm running it from the English folder. I suppose the file is in one of the .cab files but didn't look.

At one time, Nero was also using open candy for installation and a lot of people thought it was adding malware but that wasn't the case. Nero discontinued using it a couple of versions later.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What is or isn't malware is sometimes open to debate. Opencandy has some negative effects that can harm a system and in my book that makes it malware.

This is from Malwarebytes
    When you failed to install the set of applications and it failed, did you check your virus scan to see if it removed some of the files and place them in quarantine? Some antivirus will do that without notifying you.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I never had any ill effect from open candy on two different systems either when or after installing the Nero products. I've had to re-install a couple of them more than once because of hard drive failures.

I checked the quarantine list for Norton Security and nothing related to this generator software is listed. If it had a problem with the installation files, it would have given me a pop-up. note that i can install some of the programs in the .zip file, just not v1.5 or v2.0 of the Generator.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then try this. Disable Norton's and then download a fresh copy and install it. I have no doubt whatsoever that I could download it and easily install it. I realize that Opencandy is addware, but it behaves like a lot of Malware, such as changing your homepage and tracking you. If Malwarebytes sees Opencandy as malware then that's good enough for me. By the way Norton's also flags Opencandy.

Attached Files:

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I'm not sure when Malwarebytes would see Opencandy. It doesn't flag anything when I run the setup file for the generator.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

As I've previously stated, I have no problem opening CDGenerator. The only issues are with Imgburn and Discpatcher.

Attached Files:

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I can open CDgenps2 v3 but I can't open the other generator files v1.5 or 2.0.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For the 2.0 file copy a text file into the same folder as the setup.exe file.

To do this create a notepad.txt on your desktop. Copy the below into a text file. Save it as a setup.lid file or save it and rename it to setup.lid. Then place the file in the same folder as the 2.0 file and try installing again.

[Languages]
    key0=0009
    Default=0009
    count=1

14. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I did what you said and I no longer get the error message when I run the .exe. Instead, it says it's going to run the install shield and lead me through the rest of the process but it simply disappears. Nothing appears in the Task Manager.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think you need to run cdvdgen_15 and cdvdgen_20 at all, because They're just older versions of CDGenPS2 v3.0 (.15 is from 2002, and .20, 2004) made to run on earlier versions of windows. That would make them dated and redundant on Win 10. They're meant to be used by older operating systems that won't run v3.0.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I just realized that my results were the same as the original author. I don't know anything about these programs so I didn't know that v3 is the same program as the other two older ones. As said, I can readily install v3 so I'd say that's the answer to his problem.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No worries. I was also trying to install them until I took a better look at them, and realized that versions 1.5 and 2.o were older versions and didn't serve a purpose unless you were using an older operating system. I even tried editing the initialization files to force an install.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  18. PS2

PS2 Newbie

Unpacked 1.00 1.20 1.50 and 2.00
    mediafire.com/file/mk7y3w7ahe8u45e