I get error on camcorder when finalizing disc !!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lavet, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lavet

lavet Guest

My brother in-law gave me his camcorder disc to copy to a regular dvd and when he went to finalize the disc it shows "disc error" what does this mean? Does this mean all the video on the disc is lost? If so . is there a way to get it back?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have him read the owner's manual. And if it still doesn't work, have him check the manufacturer's website to see if a possible solution is posted.

If none of that works, copy the files, from that miniDVD, to the computer hard drive, then burn to another miniDVD disc, and try to finalize it, in his video camera.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. lavet

lavet Guest

Well I have the disc and the drive won't recognize it. So I can't copy to the hard drive. I tried isobuster and it recognizes it, but I can't figure out what all of the stuff that shows up means. I am not very good with all that software stuff. It shows the guide for isobuster, but what shows up on my screen when i use it, it is totally different.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

IsoBuster may be able to recover the files so that they can be burned to another disc.

The bad disc wouldn't happen to be an RW disc, would it?

5. lavet

lavet Guest

It is a DVD-R. I have tried isobuster, but I am not good with software that I don't understand. And isobuster reads the disc, but the files that pop up I don't understand. It shows 2 VOB files but what happens next , I extract them and it opens up with windows media player and nothing plays. I follow the isobuster guide, but it shows me different stuff on my window than it does in the guide.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There should be VOB files on the disc, but there should be other files, too. Are the VOB files all that IsoBuster found?

One other thing to try is to change the file extension of the .VOB files to .mpg, and see if they play in Windows Media Player. Make sure that you save a copy of the .VOB files, to another folder, first.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. lavet

lavet Guest

There were other files found, but I forget what they were. I just shut the program. I managed to get to watch the concert, but there are parts missing. The files are VOB and there is 2 of them. But just looking at the KB's there is some missing. I am going to find out where a seen some tips on how to correct the finalizing on the camcorder with the disc in, but I forget where I seen it, Thanks !!!

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you can recover those other files, then you should do so, then copy all of the files to a miniDVD. Then try to finalize it in the video camera.

9. lavet

lavet Guest

Well there are missing files, because my sister said he filmed the whole concert, but when I used isobuster I got 2 VOB files and I know how much the files should be, and I am not getting all the files. I guess I can't complain, atleast isobuster worked for what I got, because I was told I was lucky I got anything at all. But it would be nice to get the missing files. Thanks for everything !!!