1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got bit! Got a email from ISP about a torrent!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by smiffff, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

PG2 is, in simple terms, a firewall that uses IP rules to block connections.

Even though a company can see your IP because it's connected to the swarm, that does NOT PROVE that you are transferring data. They must physically connect to you and receive data FROM you to know that you are trafficking the content, make sense?

So, PG2 is a huge (and I mean HUGE) list of ranges of IP's that are suspect for some reason or another. BayTSP (the biggest, most famous anti-piracy private company) has IP's all over the world, but the fellas who update the lists at phoenixlabs/bluetack are all over them like white on rice, updating those IP's. Lots of universities, government agencies, and companies are blocked as well by default, but you can *unblock* them within the preferences of the program, but I wouldn't.

Basically, they can see you, but can't connect to you, so they can't prove you're doing anything, so they leave you alone. However, there pretty much have to be IP addresses that haven't yet been identified, so you can STILL get caught.

Like I said in a previous post, security in p2p is mostly an illusion. However, pg2 does a nice job of adding an extra layer of protection. If you need more, check out i2p, but it's slooooooooooooooooow.

2. DatPSPGuy

DatPSPGuy Guest

you know what u should do....u could go out and buy what ever u were downloading so u can say that u have a legal copy of the material which prevents u from getting in further trouble...its not illegal to make backups or have copied material if u own it lol

hey, ask around, this might get u outa hot water

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

lol, nice job repeating what TomMelee said

4. jziman

jziman Guest

Yes this looks like a legit letter. And yes they do send them out. Contact your ISP. All they want is not to go to court. Just delete the file and let them know and you are golden. Yes this has happened to me. As long as you get rid of the file they wont do anything. The difference is that for me they mailed the letter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2006
  5. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

If they sued him, wouldn't he be the first one?

I don't think there's been any bittorrent users sued; only bittorrent site operators.

I'm not saying he can't be the first one, but if it never happened before, it throws some doubt into the situation, for me.

6. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

7. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

That links about peer-to-peer.

I'm talking about bittorrent, specifically.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  8. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Dunno, but last time I checked, torrents are p2p...and with torrents representing 50%+ of all internet traffic worldwide, I'd assume they're part of the crackdown.

9. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Show me some evidence, Tom. Show me an average bittorrent user getting sued by anyone, the RIAA or MPAA.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  10. mybulldog

mybulldog Guest

I received a similar letter from my ISP stating "they were notified that (by a big production companies anti piracy dept) my IP address was sharing files? It seemed to be more of a warning letter, but needless to say I have stopped everything and want soooooooo bad to get back into it. I didnt call them I just stipped everything i was doing.

If any can help or give me some guidance it would be greatly appreciated>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So there is not way to block your IP all together.

melee thank you for your direction. very help full. thanx

11. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

just wondereing, do all internet providers take this kind of actioin?
    i am with Tiscali they are not going to be coming around knocking on my door are they?
    i sometimes use a private tracker, but mostly public.

i know i am safe with private trackers as they try and safe gaurd there users, i say this after reading their disclaimers.
    there is a part where it says you may not do anything blah blah to the families/individuals who use this site, is this the same for public trackers?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  12. Evenstar

Evenstar Member

I got this letter too, only it was for an episode of "My Name Is Earl". Anyways, my question is basically how can you tell which trackers are secure and what ones aren't. I use Azureus and I'm somewhat new to it. (Used to use WinMX back in the day but they started charging so I just stopped downloading stuff until a few weeks ago so I am still learning.)

Any knowledge you could pass on to me would be great, thanks!

13. celticfc1

celticfc1 Regular member

ROFL ROFL ROFL

dude you dont have a clue rly do you ? Go learn about torrents , go learn about encryption dude go learn full stop

Paranoid fool roflroflrofl

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  14. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

celtic, bite your tongue, TomMelee knows a great deal about P2P, and has helped a large amount of people out. Do not disrespect him like that.

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

Flames :S

I'm outta here..........

16. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

use peer gaurdian from now on ok!.

17. hyprspeed

hyprspeed Member

there have been a lot that have actually defaulted by not replying to their respected court appointments. but in reply to Celtic ..... i think you need to learn a lot before spouting off at the mouth.
    I personally have not heard or read about any court dates due to sharing from bit torrent clients. The letters sent out to isp's are sent out because they have deep pockets. In order for their to be proof that someone was sharing something through bit clients, the entire torrent would have to be extracted from each computer. I believe thats why they send out the letters to the ISPs in the first place, because the ISP does not want to go to court for NOT doing something to stop it. If proving anything was as easy as "they" say it is, then we would be getting more letters and [bold]ACTUAL[/bold] court dates instead of run around letters to ISPs because they have hundreds of millions of dollars possibly at stake.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  18. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

you know what!!!
    the best way to stay safe is to not use p2p software at all.

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

[bold]KNOCK IT OFF!!!![bold]

20. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Actually, for the person who wanted me to link to the MPAA suing someone for torrent downloads...I ran across an article the other day about a millionaire who got pegged by the MPAA and refused the settlement offer, so he's taking them to court.

I don't have the link, but I'm sure if you "dugg" it or googled it, you could find it. They can and do sue.

And celtic, bud, I hope I'm around to see you gasping for breath the day that the oxygen runs out in that tiny little bubble you call reality. :)

And svt, thanks for havin my back bro. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.