i know this sounds stupid

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by baldy_06, Oct 19, 2005.

1. baldy_06

baldy_06 Guest

ive been trying to ftp my computer w/xbox but cant. im starting to think is my method of connecting them. i have them connected with the ETHERNET cable that comes with ure dsl modem. i heard something about a connection with an ethernet cable but wasnt sure if thats how is physically done. do u only use the ethernet cable port ? or do u use the whole cable ? If not what is the name of the exact cable i need to connect xbox and computer

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

there are a cuple ways

XBOX--->crosswired cable--->PC

OR

XBOX--->CAT5--->hub/router--->CAT5--->PC

So you will either need a crosswired cable (crossover cable as sometimes named) or you can use two normal CAT5 cables and have a router or hub in between the two. Then all you have to do is set up your conections. There are lots of examples on this forum about how to setup your conection....either static or DHCP or even wireless....main thing is get the right gear and then use a good tutorial until you get the hang of it. Once you do it once it's rather easy actually....hope this helps.

3. baldy_06

baldy_06 Guest

where do u get or buy a crossover cable ? i went to radio shack n they didny have it. i went to eb games and the lady said "what are u trying to do" i told her and she said thas illegal and we dont sell that for such purposes. i laughed at her of course :) also... where is the nic card located / and how do u connect to it

4. baldy_06

baldy_06 Guest

on a windows xp home edition

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Get a crossover cbale at BestBuy or try Wal-Mart. Why cant your radio shack order the crossover cable for you? They have them on the website.

And the NIC card is an ethernet card that you plug the crossover cable into and then conect to your Xbox.

To get to the settings for your ethernet card you need to go to your network conections and choose the ethernet conection that is to the card thats conected to the crossover cable and go into the properties and then the Internet TCP/IP settings and set it up there.

below is a more detailed guide for you to FTP to your Xbox

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/228294

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

funniest thing ever,since xbox makes one called the system link cable for linnking machines together for gameplay.

7. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

the only think that would be illegal about it would be if you were using it to copy illegal or pirated files.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

None of it is illegal UNTILL YOU GET COUGHT!

9. Obiwan145

Obiwan145 Member

Guys just wondering is this the right one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Obiwan145

What are you wanting to use the cable for?

That is a cable to link 2 Xboxes togtehr. I dont know if you can link your Xbox to your Computer with that cable. Unless somone else can shed some light on if the cable would work I would sugest bringing it back and getting a crossover cable in the computer section at best buy, walmart, or radio shack. some place like that.

11. Obiwan145

Obiwan145 Member

cause I have no idea what this cable looks like I Wanna make sure that its the right one before I buy it.

Guys could you post a pic of the crossover cable

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

A croosover cable looks just like a reguler networking cable but has 2 wires switched in it. So go to a computer store and ask do you have a crossover cable. I got mine at the local computer store here. They actully made it for me. I made it a little long cause my computer and Xbox are a ways away from each other. But like i said before it looks like a regular cable. So try a computer store or try wallmart or radio shack if your lucky they will have 1 and it will say CROSSOVER cable on it.

13. punqewe

punqewe Active member

If that cable says that it'll link two boxes together,then it is pretty much going to do the same job as a crossover/crosswired cable. It would probably be the same thing,if not it could be 2 cat5's and a switch in the middle of the lot. Either way,if it'll connect two xbox's together then it should connect a pc and an xbox together.

If you can find an actual corsswired/crossover cable then that would be the way to go,no doubt about that. If you were to get one made,try to keep it under 15-18 feet...you don't want any dead spots in the cable.

14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The words "Crossover Cable" are usually on the package of any crossover cable you get.

Radio Shack has them for $9.99: http://tinyurl.com/agzm7

15. Obiwan145

Obiwan145 Member

what about the one that comes with your dsl modem would that work

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Obiwan145

No it wont work thats a normal Network Cable