1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I/O device error with DVD/CD writable drive

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by General_B, Jun 19, 2006.

1. General_B

General_B Member

I have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S (type: DVD/CD-ROM drives) inside a Toshiba Satellite P25 series laptop. It just stopped working two days ago when I bumped the door. Under properties, it says "Location: Location 0 (0)" and "Device Status: This device is working properly."

I have researched other threads, particularly :\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device er -- and followed advice without results. I've gone to recommended links, downloaded from Microsoft, pulled drive out, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, put it back in ... even tried to open it thinking what do I have to lose if I have to go buy a new one anyway. It still doesn't work.

Error message I get: "D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I've called Toshiba (I'm out of warranty) and they did not know what to do. They referred me to a service center who said they'd have to configure some stuff probably but it would take three weeks before they'd get to me. I'm in the middle of a project so can't be w/o laptop for 3 weeks. I tried setting up an appointment in three weeks, but they wouldn't bit.

I emailed Panasonic, but they said they are one of several OEM providers for Toshiba's internal dvd drive.

I researched Microsoft ... ect.

It seems there are configurations that need to be done to the drive itself and supposedly, per Toshiba, I can't do them ... only an authorized dealer.

I noticed that an unusal amount of people seem to have experienced my same problem. Anyone ever get a resolve on their own ... or should I just stop the research and take it to a dealer some months from now when I am able to be w/o my computer?

Thanks much for any help on this one.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

General_B,
    Is this happening when you try to play a movie or is this happening w/ cd's also. If this is happening w/ everything then I would take the computer to a Mom and Pop local computer store and have them replace the drive w/ anything but Matshita. If this is only happening w/ DVD movies then the lens could be out of alignment or worse. The local shop should be able to fix it and it should take about 1-2 days.

3. General_B

General_B Member

It's happening with everything ... CD's, DVDs, Blanks. It "ejects" via the software eject button just fine, as well as manually. If I put in a music CD and go to Windows Media Player "Burn" area, it sees there's a cd inside, but says it is in use. But when I go to "Now Playing" side, it doesn't see the CD. Meanwhile, system says all is working well.

I spoke to one guy who sounded like there is a fix, but I'd have to be an authorized Toshiba tech to do it, and the one I called is 3 weeks out.

I will look into local Mom&Pop shop, but I was hoping to fix this ...

Thanks much.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. Bravo181

Bravo181 Member

I have a Toshiba satellite P25-s607 with the same issue. This problem is defineatly a popular one. Everyone seems to believe getting a new drive will solve the issue. I've gone through 3 drives over the course of a year, trying to solve this problem, all of which worked fine after testing on another Satellite. I believe it is an issue with the connection between the motherboard and the drive. 'PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K16' is a drive that fits and is not a Matshita drive which could also be the issue. I haven't got the skill or the patience to try to take the motherboard out and try to clean the connectors, but I think this is what I might have to do. For now though I have been content with using an external USB drive.

5. Mulder0x

Mulder0x Guest

hi!

i have the some problem with my girlfriend's [bold]Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S[/bold].
    it just stopped working four days ago, the problem was :
    -
    [bold]D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error[/bold]
    -
    i installed the drivers again, i allready turn off and turn on back (deactive and active) the dvd-ram, but guess what? some problem. but this time i can read dvd's. one dvd program or dvd movie works fine but a cd program, he cannot read it.

with this problem now, is this a hardware or a software problem?
    if i call toshiba, the laptop will be there for more than a month and i need the laptop.

thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
  6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Mulder0x,
    See if the the burner is in PIO Mode. If it is reset to DMA.

Article here is from Microsoft about your error:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891894

It could also be a cable or a problem w/ the MOBO but try the first idea and see if it helps

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  7. Mulder0x

Mulder0x Guest

Car.Mike

i allready changed the PIO mode to DMA and DMA to PIO and the burner remain reading only DVD's and no CD's... :(
    how can be a cable problem if it reads DVD? and i'm sorry but what is MOBO?

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Mulder0x,
    MOBO= Motherboard. Try cleaning the laser or gently blow air up into the burner to see if there is something causing the laser not to recog the CD. You can also try a registry cleaner and clean out the registry of any conflicts. If part of the cable is frayed then that be the part that goes to the CD laser but it does not affect the DVD laser. It also might be the burner is going south and maybe Toshiba will just send you another and you can send the bad one back when the new one arrives.

9. ASAS19AS

ASAS19AS Member

I have had this problem for a while with the Toshiba laptop with Matshita cdrom. I had a look in the Control Panal and found a program called Toshiba CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer. I found that this had been set to 'Quiet' mode, and after I changed it to 'Normal' mode, the drive worked straigth away.