I remember buying records when they were vinyl.; i just had to post this..

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ireland, Dec 26, 2005.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

I remember buying records when they were vinyl. I loved nothing better than to set it up and listen to it on a good stereo and plow through the artwork. There was something magical in that sense of it belonged to you. I would take off the wrapping, carefully slide it out of the wrapper, lay it on the turntable, clean it, and then carefully adjust the controls while it started playing and then lay back with that artwork and just enjoy the magic.

That's no longer part of the listening experience. The magic is gone. So is the artwork. With the mp3, the ambience isn't there and I can't hear the stick hit the cymbol before it rings. Nor can I hear the guitar pick hit the string the moment before the string rings. Whats worse, the price for this junk has gone up and I can't legally put it on the reel to reel to enjoy as a long playing tape that doesn't need to be fooled with for a long time. Mp3's don't do it for that sort of equipment. You always hear what is missing and notice it missing. That's not quality. Nor is it worth a dollar for that sort of subpar product, even if the artists were as good as they were then (and their not for the most part).

I see nothing desirable in the music today. Not from the subject range, not from the artists, not from the quality. Worse, the majority of the music I see today that I might be interested in, I already have. I don't need to buy Greatest Hits because I have the originals. Those originals are not hampered with any sort of anticopy. If I want a cassette, ok, if I want a cd, that's ok too. No hassles and no issues in how I want to use them.

Someone in the cartels have forgotten that how the buyer wants to use the music is everything. Without that, there isn't much need in buying a rental limited edition that isn't worth the money to begin with. But lets really make it good and give out free rootkits and spyware that you can't cancel or refuse. Yeap, sounds like a real bargain to me.

At this rate, I'll pass on the next 20 years of what is called music by the cartels as I see nothing worth spending the money on.
    http://p2pnet.net/index.php?page=comment&story=7414&comment=26951

2. ireland

ireland Active member

that is the truest statement i heard in a long time..
    mp3 do not have the good quality of the old records.
    and i do have a ton of records i put on tape..
    and the best part i did not have to use a computer or worry about copy protection...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Ah, ha but do you rember records BEFORE they were vinyl?? Unfortunately I do, the old 78's, drop them and most times they'd break...no stereo then, nor yelling nor swearing. Sorry didnt see the picture of the old phonogram..a.bugger changing the needles.