1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might be completely screwed now....(WBFS related)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Aceman82, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Aceman82

Aceman82 Member

This might be a little complicated so I'm gonna do my best to explain my situation:

So...I used the tutorial to mod my Wii and install Homebrew channel and that good stuff...

Once that was done, I then proceeded to Step 8 to use the WBFS Manager to prepare my hard drive for use on the Wii. It would not work, and repeatedly gave me errors no matter how many times I retried Step 8.

I had posted a thread here asking for help on how to fix that problem, then one the posters(I forget the name) told me that the USB Loader will format the hard drive for me also...

It took me a while but I finally figured out that the USB Loader will only format my drive if its in a "raw" format. So I did that and it worked. Finally. I then followed through with backing up my Wii games to my hard drive.

THE PROBLEM that I'm having, is that I cannot put any downloaded Wii game ISO's on my hard drive now because STILL, the WBFS Manager wont detect the drive. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that program is the ONLY way that I can put a downloaded ISO on that hard drive right? Aside from the disc backup option of course.

I click on 'Load' in the WBFS Manager to bring up my drive, but it says: "Error occured while loading drive. Make sure the drive is not in use or open and that it has been formated to WBFS format."

Now I'm worried because I can't access my hard drive through my computer at all. All I can do now is add games through disc backup.
    If I formatted my drive with the USB Loader shouldn't it already be in WBFS format? Or at least something compatible? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gray626

Gray626 Regular member

Try right clicking on the wbfs manager icon that u use and use the option to "run as adminstrator". That is what i had to do to get the drive read in the wbfs manager on my pc. I use wbfs manager 3.0 or 3.1 something like that.

3. Gray626

Gray626 Regular member

Also make sure that you know what letter ur drive is assigned and that no nothing else on ur pc is is assigned the same letter.

4. Aceman82

Aceman82 Member

Thanks or the help. I'm using version 2.2.2. When I right click on the icon, it doesnt give me any Run as Administrator option at all.(All my other programs however, do have that option, which I find strange)

5. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

To see your hard drive in your computer, trying going to start->control panel->administrative tools->computer management->choose "disk management" option and see if your hard drive shows up.

Keep in mind that wii and WBFS manager are very sensitive to USB drives and might not be compatible with everything. I had the opposite problem that you have, my wii would not detect my USB drive (showed 0.00gb/0.00gb even when i said format) but WBFS manager had no problem formatting it. Only way I can add games is WBFS manager now. But I tried my friends hard drive on my wii and it worked fine. I think there is a compatability list somewhere.

6. Aceman82

Aceman82 Member

I just tried the disk management thing, and I can see it just like before, but I cant do anything with it besides format it, which would destroy my backed up games.

I'm guessing there's no way that I can format it or at least "alter" it, so that it can be picked up by WBFS manager AND allow me to keep my backups.

I right clicked and saw an option for "Mark partition as active". Would that be of any help somehow?

7. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I don't think marking the partition would do anything for a WBFS drive. You can try it if you want I'm pretty sure it won't kill the drive.

I would try out another USB device and see if it works, just incase it's some weird incompatability w/ your drive.

Just get an 8GB thumb drive from best buy (one that is confirmed working) for testing, see if it works. If it does then it's your drive that's causing problems. Regardless, format the best buy drive to FAT32 and return it within 30 days. Alternately just borrow one from a friend or maybe u even have one yourself.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. whacker

whacker Member

YES, your partition needs to be ACTIVE!
    Also, you'll need a PRIMARY partition, not a logical one! Watch this as some vendors make special recovery and utility partitions on their drives. These might be logical, as I've encountered.
    Try to get a decent partition program. As you don't have any games on it, the easiest way is to remove the partitions on your drive, create a new, PRIMARY, NTFS partition. When this is done, mark it as active.
    Then connect the drive to your Wii and let it format the disk. (That way you're sure that your Wii recognizes the disk!)
    Connect to your PC and all will be good.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  9. dhrubio

dhrubio Member

Did you ever figure this out?

I'm having the same problem. I had my external drive working fine for months. Using WBFS manager to put games on, play them on the Wii. One day WBFS manager stopped reading the drive. I had two partitions on the drive, one NTFS, and the WBFS. I made a new partition to try aagain and at first it wouldn't read either but eventually it worked. I formatted the third partition to WBFS and put a game on it. But I'm not sure if it works on the Wii since the first WBFS partition comes up automatically in USB loader. I have no idea why my first WBFS drive doesn't work correctly on my PC now out of nowhere. With WBFS manager not open, the three partitions show up fine, but when I open the program, it seems that the drives become inaccessible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. keif_dawg

keif_dawg Member

I was having the same problem. Check if you are using WBFS manager 2.5. If so, upgrade to 3.0. Once I switched to 3.0 my HD works fine and WBFS can access the iso's. Worked for me, this thread is a little old though.