1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question I wanna Buy a New Desktop, or laptop?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by zenarrrow, Jan 1, 2018.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

A few years back I bought a MAC and have regretted it ever since.

I thought about buying a laptop but I have always loved a desktop just think they are more workable and upgradeable. Last PC I had it only could run a max 1GB of ram. I kind of want a nice one any recommendations any one can offer? Thanks, Zen

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is your budget?

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I am thinking around $1500 US

4. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I still have my old flat screen monitor and my altec lansing speakers, which are really nice actually. So I could for go those 2 items and upgrade my screen when necessary.

5. ddp

what are you going to use the computer for? what do you regret about the mac & I presume you are still using it?

6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

To tell the truth, when I had my PC, I was on this forum, learned h ow to decrypt movies, burn them, also, learned about FLAC and lossless audio. Was able to use a hub and download live recordings of shows. I was getting quite good on my PC, the problem was I had upgraded my pc to the max and it was still rather lagging behind.

I thought I would like an all in one system like the imac, but I could never catch on. I am back in the stone age in terms of my abilities. I do not know how to download a program per se and open a new folder to place it in and name it, let alone in the future would I know how to find where it is located.

I had the hardest time, forgive me, learning how to use spell check, learning how to copy and paste on the imac. I was so used to the windows way of life.

I do still use it, as it was quite expensive, but I have never been comfortable with it. Somewhere along the way I forgot how to download and install updates, and so I am running snow Leopard I believe, I can't update my iTunes account. Because for one, I do not know how to log into my apple account, so no updates whatsoever, for anything, adobe flash os updates etc. As no apple ID info = no access.

ITunes was never my fav and I used other media players in the past but find it extremely hard to try and download software and then be able to retrieve it and open it up and use it. All that is lost with my decision to switch to imac.

So now I mainly use it for Internet browsing shopping etc. I would like to be able to download music album art for my live shows downloaded. And other stuff I may be interested in learning.

I am not so much a gamer but with that being said I don't want to lack anything interms of RAM video cards or performance. But I guess I don't need top of the line either as I won't be playing VR games or multiple player games. I just miss whatever I wanted to learn I was comfortable with my old dell. Comfortable enough to think a switch to the imac would not be an issue.

I learned a whole lot on this here forum, back when I was first starting out. Had to have knee surgery on both knees, I wanted to learn how to rip and burn mowies, which I did and so much more here. I was glad to see my user account was still active. I remember the good old days here. Haha. Now I am positive I can learn a lot more from the pros here as well.
    I guess I should have resourced this forum with the imac as well.
    Thanks, Joe

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Just for clarification, I am not and will not be using my system to pirate movies or music.

I looked closely at the alienware and a new Dell desktop. The one thing that struck me was the desktop had open space and heavy duty fans. I can't help, though I don't understand albeit, but think the desktop will be a wiser choice in terms of reliability and overall durability, just how they seem to be made.

8. ddp

what you use your computer for is your choice not ours. I prefer a desktop as it is easier to repair & upgrade compared to that of a laptop. I have a customer who has or had now an imac that was dual boot with mac os & xp. I deleted both operating systems & just put win7 on. the only driver I couldn't find was the webcam which the customer didn't mind as he never used it.

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I don't really have plans of switching to a Windows based mac. I have thought about it and decided I want to go back to a dell.

Do you think the new inspirion with the 16 gb of RAM with a TB of HD would suffice what I have lined out as my expectations? I just don't like the Mac in anyway honestly. I may take it up to our summer home or something but just as a backup unit .

10. ddp

which inspirion?

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Uhmmmm, that's why I came to you, for some sound advice......;)

12. ddp

I would like to see what the specs are like for it.

13. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK, 1 question, which OS do you recommend?

14. ddp

I prefer win7 but have had both of my towers registered for win 10 for future use then put original win7 drives back in.

15. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Cool, I will remember this. And I will heed this advice. I will pick out some features and send a link. Tomorrow, though as I have to work in the morning. Thank you very much for your help, time, and advice. Talk to you soon.
    Joe

16. ddp

no problem.

17. cactikid

cactikid Active member

18. ddp

I wouldn't worry about unless you are using cloud according to that link.
    "Companies which offer large cloud-computing products such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft may be heavily affected.

Amazon and Google were not immediately able to offer comment.

Microsoft and Apple told Sky News they had no comment to offer.

Intel said in a statement that the flaw was not unique to Intel products and said it does not have the potential to "corrupt, modify or delete data".

It added: "Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time."

19. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i will have to check about cloud as never used it before this pc,cloud was mentioned in starting pc?
    i ran the detection scan and yes i got a yes possibilty.last pc died because in lack of work,no change in this one,cheers ddp.

20. ddp

no problem.