I want a miniDV camcorder with at least 15x zoom and memory card

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by phrolica, Aug 17, 2007.

1. phrolica

phrolica Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a digital camcorder with the following specs:
    1. MiniDV format
    2. memory card or memory stick as I think this would make backing up my recordings easier.
    3. Optical zoom of at least 15x
    4. Good quality night shot.

At the moment I'm considering the Sony DCR HC48 or the 47. But since I know very little about camcorders I'd appreciate any input anyone can give me.

I'd like to spend around £300 (that's about 600 USD) but am willing to pay more if the camera's features warrant it.

Can anybody suggest anything I should look at. And anything I should definitely avoid?

Thanks,
    Agi

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have the Sony DCR-HC96 camcorder, and the quality of everything, including night shots, is great.

3. phrolica

phrolica Member

Thanks... It is a bit more expensive than I initially wanted to spend, but I suppose it's always like that :)

It looks like a really great camcorder though.

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

One question: Why would having a memory card/stick make backing up your recordings easier? If it's a miniDV camcorder, then all the card/stick is going to do is store image files.

Secondly, if you're looking for standard def camcorders, then get one with high megapixel or 3 CCD. The Sony DCR-H4x is no different (spec wise) to the DCR-H2x. The Sony DCR-H9x is the best in their line and not a bad camcorder overall but a bit pricey.

As an alternate, I suggest the Panasonic PV-GS320, which is also one of the best and within your price range.

cnet.com has some reviews or you can try to google.

FYI: As you probably know, the market is moving away from miniDV because the DVD/HDD format is getting to be much more popular. A shame, really, for those of us concerned about quality over convenience.