I want to access my pc and share files from anywhere

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xfactor09, Mar 11, 2008.

1. xfactor09

xfactor09 Member

I have pretty much got the hang of home networking. Now I want to take my knowledge to the next level and need help.

I want to be able to access my home pc and its contents (files, media, etc..) from any pc. I know that software such as LogMeIn will allow me to do this however for file sharing etc.. there is a cost.

I would very much like to know what I need to do to setup my own server which would allow me to do what I want, however I'm not sure of all that I need, I know I would need a static IP which I'm not sure how to get, and I'm just not sure on everything else I would need. Can someone point me in the right direction!!!

Thanks

2. bandit008

bandit008 Regular member

Im not exactly sure but you could probably set up a FTP connection.(File Transfer Protocol) First you have to know your computer's IP. Then the computer your going to use has to have a FTP program. Once you launch the program, all you got to do is type the IP of your computer and you connect. My theory only though. Ive never done it myself.

3. Grimstar

Grimstar Member

bandit is correct. If you scan download.com for a FTP server you should be able to find a few free ones. As long as you have some PC knowledge it's not very difficult to set up at all.

4. xfactor09

xfactor09 Member

Thanks guys I'll try that!!! Have you guys ever heard of TightVNC, I read that may help me in this senario as well?

5. discboy

discboy Guest

I use a Free Program called "gigatribe" Located at www.gigatribe.com. You can set what you want to share between two or more computers. Basically a private FTP . I use it both between my desktop and laptop and also between family and friends. If you descide to use it there is a nice manual on how to set it up and as always you can just pvt me and I can help also.