I want to buy a new hhd Camcorder but there's a problem..

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by steven01, Sep 29, 2007.

1. steven01

steven01 Member

The problem is that I haven't found any that record on Dv format. I can't edit it in adobe premiere because of this. Does anyone know of a solution to my problem?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I think it is because they are mpeg2 files on the hard drive camcorders. I don't know if Adobe can edit, or even bring in, mpeg files.

On the other hand, camcorders that use MiniDV tapes can have the video captured as DV-AVI files when captured via firewire, and the quality is superior to hard drive camcorders and MiniDVD camcorders.

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

It is correct: no HDD camcorder records on DV (unfortunately).
    Most of them record in MPEG-2 and a few in MPEG-4.
    You can import MPEG-2 in Adobe Premiere, but it will be completely re-encoded weh you export it. And it will also work incredibly slow because of all the rendering taht takes place while editing. There is a solution which is using a plug-in made by Mainconcept, but I have tested it very thorougly and I never could get it to "smart-render".
    On their site they introduced a newer version but IMHO it is very expensive: http://www.mainconcept.com/site/consumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/information-7862.html

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Ah, just another reason that back in January, when I purchased a new camcorder, I purchased a MiniDV Sony HandyCam. It has surpassed my expectations.