I'm Having a Network Problem!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Shad, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Shad

Shad Regular member

I have a toshiba pcx1100u cable modem that i recieved from the road runner technitian. i want to use the internet on 2 computers in my home. i connect the first computer by connecting a usb cable to the usb port in the modem then the other end of the usb cable into the computer. i connect the second computer by connecting an ethernet cable into the ethernet port of the modem and the other end of the ethernet cable into the second computer's ethernet port. my big problem is that the internet wont work on the second computer unless the first computer is shut down. what should i do?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  2. Xian

Xian Regular member

First, it is very hard to read your message when it is typed in all CAPS.

The easiest solution is to get a router, Linksys or something similar. Alternatively, you can install a 2nd network card on the first computer and use either internet connection sharing or a proxy server on it. That is a bit more difficult to set up, so I would say you need to look at getting a router.

Just plugging into the ethernet and usb ports on both computers will not work. Your ISP's DHCP server is assigning an IP address to only one computer at a time off of your modem. The only reason both ports are on the modem are to use either way to connect it to the pc, they aren't meant to be used at the same time.

3. thkalam

thkalam Guest

I think you have to try dialup sharing.What operating systems you are using?

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Problem solved. :p

If its DSL you dont even need a router... you can get by with a switch/hub hehe.