1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT NOTICE - BAD MEDIA - UK

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by HomerJ, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

I have been posted the following statement from my DVD media supplier :-

A large batch of B Grade 4x DVD-R Media has been sold into the UK Market via a media distributor in Edinburgh. They are well known for their business practices and previous activities with DVD Media which contained an illegal x2 speed rating code copied fromTDK without permission - these discs are still available under the Datasafe, Bulkpaq and Datawrite branding.

This B Grade product originated in the Far East and was supposed to be destroyed, it did not make it to the incinerator and was intercepted without Ritek's permission. Unfortunately this product may be sold as an A Grade product and is understood that it may be available at a price of between £0.60 and£0.85p.

As a B graded product there will be an extremely large reject rate (up to60%). Unlike CDR Media the gamble of B graded media is one that is not worth
    taking, B Grade DVD-R is media which has failed during production, it is NOT media that has randomly failed post-production testing (like CD-R).

Keep your eyes open people.

HomerJ

2. dap

dap Guest

thx homer for the lookout

3. ash101

ash101 Member

Is there any easy way of detecting these discs before purchase.

4. kr0nos

kr0nos Guest

I heard this about a month ago from my supplier too. Since then, it has been discovered that it was nothing but a rumor started by some disgruntled competitor's junior salesperson. Lawsuits were threatened and the company in question reputedly sacked the employee and apologized publicly.

5. ultima

ultima Member

Nope have inside informaton from a friend working for Ritek in australia... there IS A GRADE AND B GRADE MEDIA... manufacturer run quality controll... and all those that didn't pass the quality controll is purchased by some distributor to sell as B grade cheaper media to make loads of profit...

6. stu__

stu__ Member

I bought a batch at a fair at Evertons ground in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago aload of utter rubbish 75% defects under the name of data paq.

7. beintot

beintot Member

personally i believe there is truth in homers comments,i live very near the only shop in edinburgh which stocks large amounts of dvd blank discs,recently i bought dvd discs from there with "not for resale" printed in the inner edge of the writing surface,i buy regularly from the shop,the majority of the time the discs are fine which i buy,but there has been a high percentage of bad quality discs over the months.They however are not the only company selling discs with false tdk id codes,you can find the same discs in england too quite easily in reputable places.

8. Jamesio

Jamesio Guest

Bulk paq Generation 4 2xspeed DVD-R, from Novatech, has a 70% failure rate, In my opinion RUBBISH. Beware.

9. dipu

dipu Member

Thanks to Simpson. I am a Spanish retailer of the DVD-R and CD-R discs. I have very well connection of trade with a distributor of Edinbourgh. If you are true I can guess my dirstributor is the one what u have been mentioned in your message. I am not noticed by the distributor that the disc i sale in Spain is B grade 4x dvd-R media. I personnally try some 4x with my 105 berner and White top princo dye is taking 30 min for a 4'7 gb movie(!). My customers complained me many times I thought customer has probs with the firmware. Now I see what is going on the Media market. thanks again Homer J. Simpson. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]dipu[/small]

Last edited: May 29, 2003
  10. potex

potex Guest

Is there someone can advise whom have experienced bought Ritek DVD-R 4x garde A, but it is grade B in UK.
    Thanks!

11. MrYang

MrYang Guest

Ok here we go.... official line from Ritek, Only grade A Ritek can be bought through their distributors in the UK - they are:

CD Network
    http://www.DVD-and-Media.com
    http://www.all4mats.com
    Status Group

Anyone else importing Ritek products most likely doesn't have Grade A Ritek media, there is also a great deal of FAKE Ritek manufactured in China - very similar to the FAKE Traxdata that is also on the market!

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

13. MrYang

MrYang Guest

I'm not gonna start a massive arguement with you but ONLY the suppliers mentioned supply Grade A Ritek, unless you are going to tell me bigpockets and blankdiscshop are buying their discs from one of those distributors - I don't think so!

The list of genuine Ritek partners is at http://www.conrexx.com/about_conrexx/where_to_buy_UK.htm

There is a shortage of Ritek in the market - certain companies buy in a small amount of Grade A and then back it up with loads of B grade - needless to say no official distributor would ever ever compromise their quality! Anyone reading this - try buying from non official companies and get ready to make plenty of coasters at some point!

14. raymondo

raymondo Guest

I buy DVD discs from Computer Fairs, and have used Traxdata, Datawrite (numerous colours), Verbatim, Bulkpaq, etc, etc. I have written about 300 DVDs at single speed and at double speed and have had less than 10 discs produced with any errors on whatsoever. What is the paranoia all about???

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

16. hcw

hcw Member

TCWN Limited is the company that based in UK has its own production line in Taiwan.
    We are a fast growing blank DVD discs distributor in UK.
    We only distribute Grade A Blank DVD discs from those well-known manufactures from Taiwan. I.e. Ritek, Princo, Octoplus, Infodisc and Octoplus.

We bought them directly from factories, and we give you 100% guarantee.
    Every single disc has 1 to 1 manufacture guarantee from us. Please take look our company web site. www.tcwnmedia.com

Our own brand TCWN unbranded DVD-R 4x has great compatibility, and 100% grade A. We produce them we have faith in them.
    Please do contact me if you are interested in any of the disc types from our web-site.

Thank you

17. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

It would help if there was a price list of some kind...

18. MrYang

MrYang Guest

Some more information for you guys ...

I was just offered two lots of discs at very very cheap prices 300K and 800K to ship into the UK. Problem is they are fakes and will doubtless find their way into the UK market even if I dont buy them someone will.

The two products are as follows - and I include the text from the emails that offered me the stock;

"DVD-R 2x, Sony original, printed with whatever logo you want your logo or manufacturer logo, $xxx per unit packed with 25's cake box, Doo to Door the UK limited 300k allocation every month" ..... so on this one look out for sony media which doesn't look right.

"We are able to offer bulk DVD-R 2X in 25 cellawrap made by Princo but with a Maxell Code they arrive in 2 weeks and the price is xxx or branded xxx there are 800.000 available and it needs to be for very large orders to get this price." .... Hmmm Princo media with Maxell code that should be interesting!

19. nofish

nofish Guest

I think im fucked,
    I bought Datawrite 4X DVD-R Red (100 pices) farly cheap becuse I used them before with no problem and it relly sucks, 85-95 % bad writing
    newer i try these cheap fu, brands no more

20. MrYang

MrYang Guest

Well enough said about the DataS**te ... the quality really does go up and down with those, basically cheapest manufacturer of the day!

By the way, announcement in CTO this week saying the ONLY authourised distributors in the UK for RITEK, ARITA, RIDATA, and TRAXDATA are www.dvd-and-media.com all4mats and status. Riteks partners warn Ritek product bought from other companies than these is not gauranteed to be A Grade or even to be genuine Ritek made. See CTO for proof and confirmation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.