1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT NOTICE - BAD MEDIA - UK

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by HomerJ, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jase

jase Guest

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  2. jase

jase Guest

The problem with the stance Dave22 takes on the Ridisc media is that some resellers have stated that the Ridisc is a Ritek brandname. Now that is a matter between the customer and the reseller, obviously, but the same resellers have told me in person that they tend to duplicate descriptions *directly* from distributors' advertising copy.

Rivision/Ridisc are e-net brand-names. "Grade A Media" (the orange overprints) is an e-net brand name. These points need to be emphasised. The discs themselves may be the finest quality in the world for all I know, I've avoided them personally, but to reference Ridisc as being a Ritek brand is naughty.

I don't like to name names of suppliers as it isn't fair really, but Digital Promo are one of those suppliers still claiming that "RiDisc is Ritek Corp's own brand." Check it out for yourself...

3. StinHambo

StinHambo Guest

Absolutely correct Jase.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah that sounds about right. You're right to avoid anything you're unsure about, jase. You're by no means the only one in this situation!

5. brobear

brobear Guest

info@ridisc.com

Ridisc sales and marketing Manager, Tim Smith has announced that the whole Ridisc Portfolio will now be available in Europe.

[bold]A name to go with the company and finally a completed website.[/bold]

For the African or Middle Eastern markets please contact our MIDDLE EAST distributor: E-net Dubai. [bold]No denial of selling merchandise through eNet in Dubai.[/bold]

Conrexx stays quite on their Mtn-Stream sales in competition with eNet for the crap market. In fact Ritek makes denials and claims of mistakes. Thanks for the info Flash.

Well it seems that RiDisc still claims to have their discs made by Ritek. They claim better quality than the Mountain-Stream sold by Conrexx and eNet on the UK market. Their Global link still connects to Ritek Taiwan. Ritek might want to say something to them if there is a problem there. Obviously the poor press they're receiving on the forums hasn't spilled into the mainstream media enough to damage their hopes of a successful venture into the European market. Once again the consumer needs to be aware and make their own decisions. Don't let forums do all your thinking for you. Forums are good to point things out as HomerJ did in starting this thread. However there has been a lot of slagging off going on for quite a while.

I make some general statements on this material. I make no claim to being an expert. I do like to point out some things of interest. One thing you will note is that I haven't taken any sides in the slag fest. I only wanted to point out some of the shady appearing things that have been going on.

My warnings are just a heads up to the consumers and asking them to be wary of the vendors advertising without license on the forum. I'm sure all of you are starting to get a picture of what's going on. I don't need to get into any personal attacks to prove certain practices stink.

If someone made a mistake of listing RiDisc wrongly, then that small aspect has very little to do with the overall picture. That appears to be something Londor has a particular interest in. He, his letter from Ritek and MediaWatch can hash that one out. It really isn't of that much interest. One label of the many that are being sold and some of them a lot worse than RiDisc. Again the best case in point is the Mtn-Stream sold by Conrexx. In fact some of the members have reported good experiences with RiDisc.

Fault can be found with most involved in media sales. The process is too secretive, keeping the consumer in the dark, and too much poor quality media is being dumped on the unsuspecting consumer. So in the end, it comes back to the same advice: [bold]Deal with a vendor you can trust and make sure the merchandise has a good guarantee and a good track record. In other words, use your own brain and be a smart consumer.[/bold] I hope that isn't too bad for advice about this confusing subject.

6. StinHambo

StinHambo Guest

Amen.

Can we close this thread now?

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Very GOOD advice brobear, which is why i use meritline which has a great return policy to go along with great prices and dependable media.

stinhambo, there is an unsubscribe alternative. ;>)

8. Dave22

Dave22 Guest

jase

I agree with you

I don't think anyone should be conned and the company you mention. Will one day come a cropper this is not the first time they have done it and it won't be the last. I think as a retailer you can still sell a disk that is made by Ritek even though it is not one of that Ritek's brands.

At the end of the day if you buy a Traxdata disk at £0.45 per disk and a grade A at £0.26 and you get the same performance what the issue.

9. StinHambo

StinHambo Guest

bigorange,

I only asked because I don't see any more value in this thread anymore...

That button is becoming quite tempting though!!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"Fault can be found with most involved in media sales. The process is too secretive, keeping the consumer in the dark, and too much poor quality media is being dumped on the unsuspecting consumer. So in the end, it comes back to the same advice: Deal with a vendor you can trust and make sure the merchandise has a good guarantee and a good track record. In other words, use your own brain and be a smart consumer. I hope that isn't too bad for advice about this confusing subject."

it's great advice, the market of recordable media has got to be one of the most dark and secretive of all the computer-related industries. Well the DVD one is anyway. I've never had any problem with CD-Rs, but with DVDs it seems its a whole different picture.

Everyone needs to be aware of the scams going on at present, but how to inform them? Not evrryone uses the AD forum (though perhaps the webmasters wouldn't want that anyway!!!) and so we need to get a message out!!!!!

I suppose best advice is to stick to a high quality brand name. You'll pay more, but uless you write more than 1000 discs per year, the cost difference won't seem that great, and you're paying that little extra for reliability. I know what i would do in this situation, but other people? That's up to them!!

Edit: i also do agree that this thread isn't really going anywhere anymore!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]My pc's crap, yours?[/small]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  11. totos

totos Guest

Hi Brobear. Thanks for your "hello", but I dont know Londor either. What makes you believe this?

Nephilm what made you so upset to give me warnings? The word "Brobear fantasies" ? I really dont understand the reason you are threatening me for, since I have never insulted anyone here...

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sheeeez! Does the term "quit while you're ahead" or "just let it drop" mean anything? Do you think telling a mod "don't tell me to drop it" is gonna put you on his good side?

How about just "let sleeping dogs lie"?

[bold]sammorris,[/bold] You're right in what you say, I think the easiest and safest route to take is:

A) use a reputable, dependable retailer, with a good refund policy,(2 excellent choices-newegg and meritline)

B) always buy "branded" media, and

C) get yourself a copy of dvdinfopro,(the free version is all you need)an excellent analysis tool that among other things will tell you what media you're actually using.

I keep mine on my desktop and it's used all the time. ;>)

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Excellent advise all the way around BigO. Good advice on consumership and to those wanting to kick the mods on the shins. It's not nice to tell the mods what they can and can't do. They're the ones who make the forum livable for the rest of us.

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Your inability to figure out when to shut your trap.

I warned you, I didn't threaten you.

With your last post you not only insulted my intelligence but everyone else's.

I gave you more than enough chances genius, now you're gone.

15. qetuo

qetuo Member

If moderators job is to ban whoever they disagree with, then why dont they make a private forum to chat with their buddies?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That'#s stony ground, qetuo, i don't agree with Nephilim's decision on that, but i DO NOT dispute it. Moderators may seem a bit harsh sometimes but if you don't stay on their good side you'll follow in totos' footsteps.

And anyway, is this thread really going anywhere anymore? It seems these mod disputes are all that keep this thread alive. I have no more to say on the subject...

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]If moderators job is to ban whoever they disagree with[/bold]

[bold]but if you don't stay on their good side you'll follow in totos' footsteps.[/bold]

???????what in the world? The mod's job is to moniter and facilitate the threads(of which there are many)and to ensure proper decorum is used, along with preventing the discussion of piracy in order to protect the forum and ensure it's longevity.

They do an excellent job here, btw, and that's all that was done here. Making sure the thread stayed on track and not degenerate into a flame war between members.

The offending member was given PLENTY of chances and refused to "let it drop" even after a final warning.

Theirs is a thankless job in many cases, they don't get paid, and they devote an inordinate amount of time to the forum and they assist with many problems and questions.(just check out nephilim's track record, he's helped out an enormous amt. of people) All they ask is we follow the rules and make their job a little easier.

to qetuo:
    I hope you stay with AD and if you have problems, just ask, you'll see what I mean. :>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  18. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I think it would be more useful to have a thread where people could report specific bad media they've received. You could post the media you bought (or what it was sold as at least), where you bought it from, what the media was (based on the manufacturer's code), any obvious problems with the discs (defects, poor packing, etc,...), and what the merchant did about it. Come to think of it, that would make a good sticky thread.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

vurbal, I think that's an excellent idea, why don't you do that and we'll follow. :>)

20. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.