IMPORTANT TO AD STAFF: You seem to have a virus!

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by #afonic, Jan 28, 2004.

1. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Just to let you know, I just received a message from newsletter (at) afterdawn.com with the topic Status and text The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment.

The attachment was body.scr.

It's the W32.Novarg.A@mm virus.
    Have a look here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

It is considered a big threat and I suggest you inform all members of the newsletter the problem so that they do not open the email if they have not already done so.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We don't have a virus. The virus in question is works that it takes all your contact emails, sends email to everybody in your Outlook and Outlook Express contacts and randomly selects one of your contacts to be the sender of that email as well. So, you got the virus from some of your friend who has got emails from our system.

newsletter (a) afterdawn.com is a separate mailbox that is not used by any of our staff members, but ran through by a UNIX script to check for bounces and never opened in Windows anyway.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

yeah - also like to point out that, as long as u dont open the attatchment, no harm is done. You will most likely get them from all sorts of contacts, even the mail delivery systems telling you that they have failed and the reason is in the attachment. If only those people would put their minds to something more constructive, eh.

4. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Yeah, it seemed weird that a newsletter mail was infected to me too. I got another message from the same address as well so I think that there are a lot people that get the AD newsletter!

Sorry for bothering you, I believed that I should report it in case you had the virus.

PS. Sorry for writing the email!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]More than 25 guides about DVD, DivX, (S)VCD, miniDVD!
    Ripping, copying, shrinking, burning and authoring:
    http://www.afonic.tk[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

#afonic: No problem, its good that people are alert when something suspectible happens and bring it to our attention, even when it can be explained easily -- as these things are handled in public, it hopefully gets people more confident about our security, etc.

6. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Let's hope people will finally understand about viruses and stop opening attachments from people they don't know or even by people they know but write nothing (like Hi Joseph, how do you do, etc).

I got more than 40 emails containing the virus - believe it or not!

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Lucky you! :p On a good hour i get 40 emails period hehe (so you can imagine the hassle when i 'take a break' for the weekend or something).

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I tend to get around 15-30 a day on my website account, most are questions from users, and then loads on hotmail :-(