1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

in a cold basement

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by bigdog626, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bigdog626

bigdog626 Regular member

i got a xbox 360 with rrod i just got it reflowed
    how would it affect it by being in a cold basement thats below room temp

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

The RROD normally isn't because of overheating, it is because of temperature difference. Due to the relatively poor quality of the lead-free solder and the temperature differences when in use (warm) and not in use (cold) this solder gets micro-cracks. And when there are too much of these micro-cracks the console gets a RROD. When doing a reflow (heatgun or towel) some of these micro-cracks close and the console works again, but nobody knows for how long. Mine survived two more weeks after a reflow and reflux. Won't reflow again, maybe I get a console with a dead drive, my drive is still good.

3. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Try it again dude, sometimes I have to give them a couple of go's, and theres loads still going after a couple of years!

Once you have fixed it, test it by playing a 1 player FPS and putting a rubber band on your remote so the character runs round in circles and leave over night. If its still working in the morning, its a good sign its a decent fix.

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Try to use some flux with your reflow, even if you're using a heatgun. The flux actually helps the solder asorb the heat better so it effectively lowers the melting temperature. I don't know about using w00ly's fix by flipping the board after you get it warm but you should have some sort of mount for the board to immobilize it when you are reflowing it. Immobilizing the motherboard is the difference between a successful reflow and a botched reflow with bridged solder points.

Here's the flux you need to use
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-CLEAN-LIQUID...915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b84b3c8b

Here's how to apply the flux under the chips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2R_NqF5wAc

Here's w00ly's heatgun tutorial
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/how_i_fix_rrod_360s_video-832706/

Good luck

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Keep in mind that a cold basement may very well also have high humidity levels. High moisture and electronics don't mix.

Just throwing that info out there.