In an argument with ISP...what do YOU think?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by howy_2005, Mar 18, 2010.

1. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

OKay, so my ISP (Charter) and I have being going head to head on their tech support line these past few days about my internet service. I refuse to pay $9.95 every month for one of their modems...so when I first signed up for internet about two years ago I had made the decision to buy my own. Nothing fancy...a Linksys CM100. Well, the problem that I have been having with Charter is that from time to time...at random...my internet will stop working and when it goes out the "Online" light on my modem is no longer lit. This is the light for the coax cable. Anyway, reseting the router never helps...and when this happens sometime the internet doesn't work for 5-10 minutes or 5-10 hours. This has been going on for the entire duration that I have lived in my new home (about 11 months)

Every time I try to call Charter to get it straightened out they try to blame it on the router...even though it had worked for me flawlessly for the entire year before. Just to prove a point, I had even replaced the router with a brand new one...still the same result. I was able to get them to send a guy out once...but of course when I made the appointment my internet was working and because it happened to be working he "saw no problem with my internet service."

Well, today they tried telling me that the reason I have been having so much trouble is because at the beginning of this month they switched from the DOCSIS 2.0 system to the 3.0. Now, if I'm correct...the only way this would effect my internet at all would be speed...and since I am not planning on getting anything more than my 15 meg...my router should still work just fine. The folks at my ISP say that my problem will go away if a purchase a modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 capable (even though I have had this problem for months) but I am telling them that it has to be trouble with the RF signal. What do you guys think?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

as long as 2 totally different modem/routers & still having a problem then the problem is on their end. can you switch modems with a friend using same provider to confirm problem is with provider?

3. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

Actually...I just bought a Motorola Surfboard Modem...the SB5120. I had done this a few hours after my initial post and like I mentioned before...the problem comes and goes...so I'll monitor the performance and hope it goes out before I run out of time to get my money back for this modem that I know that I don't need. I did happen to notice, however, last night my internet was dow n due to "maintenance" and since then my speed is unreliable. Sometimes it's 10meg...sometimes it's 4meg...but never higher than 12 when I am paying for 15meg. As a matter of fact...it barely ever hits 11 when
    I've tested it in the past.