1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing VC games to SD card

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by rich360, Aug 1, 2009.

1. rich360

rich360 Member

Ok new the Wii scene & notice Im able to download loads of VC games via the net,Although I have'nt grabbed any yet just trying to get more knowledge.
    My wii is chipped with the wiikey 2 & have done some searching on here for any info But I cannot find to much only some threads whih are quite old,Im assuming I dont just download the files transfer them to the SD card & then the wii reads them,I found something about a wad installer would you use this to transfer the dowloaded VC game to the SD card will then the Wii then run the VC games?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

First off you need to be on 4.0 or 4.1 firmware.

Then you will need to softmod the system so the instillation of WAD files can be done (HERE is a softmod guide).

You will use WAD manager to install the VC/WiiWare game wad files.

Then you will need to go to Wii settings, data management, channels and MOVE (do not copy) the VC/ WiiWare games to the SD Card.

Keep in mind the Wii doesn't have much internal memory so you will probably only be able to install 3 to 4 games at a time (depending on the size of the VC/WiiWare game) then you will need to MOVE them to the SD card before installing more (Just keep an eye on the blocks you have left).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  3. abowlof1

abowlof1 Member

For channel games (WADs, WiiWare, Virtual Console, VC, whatever else they are called) you will need to softmod. Basically you need to pick one of the multiple ways to get the Homebrew Channel installed.

There is a good softmod tutorial thread here you can search for.

Wiikey has nothing to do with this part of modding your wii.

From there you need the SD card (formatted at FAT32). Create a APPS folder and a WAD folder and put it on the SD card. Download that WAD Manager (version 1.5 is the newest i think) and put it in the APPS folder. rename the file to boot.dol and have it in a folder called WAD manager. The folder name is what you will see when you load it thru Homebrew Channel. Your WAD files will go in the WAD folder. You don't have to rename those. You will load WAD manager thru homebrew channel and then pick the WAD u want to install from there.

once its done it becomes a channel on your wii menu. and like the other guy said... you go into menu options> data management and it tells you how much system memory (blocks) you have left. if you goto channels from the options you can pick the game you want to move to the SD card in a fashion much like working with saved files off an PS2 memory card.

Hope that helps... been learning all this myself lately and your right- information is out dated usually.

4. rich360

rich360 Member

thanks for the info

5. dacore84

dacore84 Member

So there are no possibility at all to install the games directly to the SD-card? I have to install them to the Wiis NAND and then move them back to the SD-card?

The Wii aint like Windows, the more shit you install the slower/more bad it works? If I install something on the Wii I can move EVERYTHING from that installation to the SD-card and it doesn´t affect the Wii at all?

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

DOn;t you think if there was a way to dorectly place it on the SD card I would have given those directions?

As for issue no there is no issue. Just install to the NAND then move to the SD card.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. dacore84

dacore84 Member

Yeah probably =)

But much can happen in 5 weeks right? :p

8. Oldman111

Oldman111 Member

OK I've done all this but oddly my WAD files fail to load from the SD card unless there also on the Wii internal memory at the same time.

If I copy from Wii to SD card then the WAD file will load OK from the SD card as long as the WAD file is in the Wii internal memory but if I move the file and try to launch from SD card it merely says failed to launch.

I've got fw 4.0 and like I say the games wil load from SD only if they're in the Wii internal memory at the same time.

Any ideas?

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Install IOS60Patched.wad that you can find in my softmod guide in my sig.

Also make sure your MOVING not copying the channel to the SD card.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. Oldman111

Oldman111 Member

thanks, works perfectly now.

One point though is it possible to play NTSC WADS on my PAL machine, most appear not to work, they load then I get the message "This channel can't be used"

thanks in advance for any help.

11. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

No it is not possible. However, you can use an application such as freethewads to make them playable.

12. FatalFlow

FatalFlow Member

It is indeed possible to play NTSC WADs on a UK Wii with >=4.0 FW. Just use Startpatch and you can patch the Wii to allow any region channels to run, among other things. Here's the URL:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/StartPatch

You'll find versions for all firmwares and regions here. Please remember to read the instructions, and be careful! Good luck!

Now, onto my problem. I, too, am having trouble moving and playing WADs from my SD card, same as Oldman111 above. I am currently on 4.2, having updated using the Safe 4.2 Updater available here:

http://gwht.wikidot.com/upgrade

with HBC and Larrylje's patched IOS60 installed. Once I had all that done, I used Startpatch to enable region-free channels and GC games, as well as the recovery menu via GC pad (I left the rest of the patches alone). Since then, every NTSC/"acquired" WAD I install to the Wii system memory works fine, but if I move the channels to the SD card and then try to play them from the card or copy/move them back, it refuses to allow it. I should point out at this point that all my Shop Channel-bought VC games still work as they're supposed to, including moving and launching from SD, so I can only conclude that it's a new anti-piracy protection in the firmware itself.

My question: I'm thinking of reverting back to 4.1, since I had no problems at all using that firmware. What would be the best way of going about that? Should I go the long route of downgrading to 3.2 via AnyRegion Changer, then upgrading to 4.1 and updating everything else via WiiSCU? Or is there an easier way? I have a full NAND dump of my machine from before I first installed HBC for the first time, so I'm covered at least if the worst happens, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

27/10 EDIT: Hah, I really AM a noob. I discovered that the 4.2 system menu uses IOS70 rather than 4.0/4,1's IOS60, so figured that that must be the problem. So here's what I did:

I downloaded the latest DOP-IOS (v8) from here - http://dl.qj.net/Dop-IOS-v8-Wii-Homebrew/pg/12/fid/27743/catid/526.

Then I put the folder called "hbc_dopios_v8" into the "apps" folder on my SD card, inserted that into my Wii and entered the HBC.

I started up the app, and reinstalled IOS53 and IOS55 with no sig hash check patches applied.

Then, I installed IOS70 through the network, with the patch applied.

After that, voila! All my WADs work through the SD card now, even the NTSC ones!

Either way, I hope that this at least helps oldman111. It was a frustrating few days of searching for such a simple solution, let me tell you.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009