1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by keebles, Nov 3, 2023.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

I have a computer that I built in 2009, it's running windows 10 at the moment. I had upgraded the CPU to something like a xeon x3366( have to check for the actual model). Dual graphics cards crossfired, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD, 2 2tb hard drives, Intel motherboard, blu ray burner, HD DVD drive.
    Trying to figure out if it's possible to install windows 11 on it. I know it doesn't support tpm at all. And it definitely doesn't support UEFI. I know that M$ doesn't really approve installing windows 11 on unsupported hardware. I'm wondering if I can and would it work? Would I be able to get updates even though M$ says it's not guaranteed.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. keebles

keebles Regular member

How do you think it would hold up? I've read many different forms saying that they do get updates, while others say no. Some say they have to reinstall in order to update, some say they didn't have to. I just trying to find out if it will update or not with windows update.

4. ddp

aldan likes this.
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I would stick with Windows 10, at least until it is no longer being supported which is in 2025, and even that isn't a good reason to get rid of it because it will still be viable for some time after that. I have a laptop with Windows 11 on it and if I could I would gladly downgrade it to Windows 10. With Windows 10 you can reconfigure it to function a lot more like Windows 7, and that right there is a big plus.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

You know how to beat them at their antitrust game dontcha?.. Go pay £100 or so on an old 10 core xeon server/desktop thing..Install the garbage in a VM on something like Proxmox where you can add a tpm spoof device.. license key?.. whats one of those??? just tell it "no internet/work network when installing and .. well.. you know my feelings on anything those parasite data thieves and spies "make"

I run fully activated crapdoze 10 (server 2k19 datacenter) in a vm with gpu passthrough (tesla k20 headless) for those few games that don't run well on linux. I didn't pay M$ for that load of crap either..

7. keebles

keebles Regular member

Installed windows 11 using Rufus USB tool. Works great without any issues so far. No watermark showing up saying unsupported CPU.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

i used rufus to install win11 on an fx6300 that i built in 2016 or so.works very well.

9. ddp

watch the updates.

10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Didn't seem to cause any issues.. if they do in the future I'll just blitz it and start over anyway.. Just pull the full image from my backup NAS as a container. It's not like I paid for it in the first place.. Yarrrrrr!!!!

11. Charlettmak

Charlettmak Newbie

Thanks for the insights everyone! It seems there's no definitive answer regarding emulator updates on unsupported Windows 11 hardware. While ddp and Sophocles raise valid concerns, it's encouraging to hear positive experiences from keebles and aldan using Rufus.

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I have been watching others having issues. I keep coming across various updates and new trickery in youtube videos. There seems to be some kind of hack with adding some sort of TPM "fake it" file to the EFI partition yourself. I wouldn't know anything about that as the latest I have "installed" on anything has been 10 late 2022 updated.