internet cable for tv use

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tubacuba, Jun 29, 2006.

1. tubacuba

tubacuba Regular member

CAN ANYONE REPLY TO THIS AND TELL ME IF ITS POSSIBLE?!?!?i have optimum online cable internet and i want to know if its possible to use that same cable to watch cable tv. i plugged the internet cable directly to the back of my tv and i can see some picture but its not clear and its snowy..IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN WATCH CABLE TV CLEARLY USING HE INTERNET WIRE?!?!?please reply..ive been asking for help for too long
    thank you

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

might have to use a splitter so 1 line to computer & 2nd to tv. also might need a filter or power booster on the tv line. did that on ours tho using rogers cable. ps, KNOCK OFF the caps as is shouting, against forum rules above.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  3. ireland

ireland Active member

this is what a tv cable splitter looks like

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

4. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

took me 3 times to figure out how to word this.... ummm
    correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the television signal a one way path... whereas the internet is a coming and going? Well no that wouldnt make sense or they would have to have a separate line for each house right? Hmm... never really thought about it. I would test it but I'm a paying cable customer so of course my line has television activity... Tell me how that works out for you...

p.s. sounds a lil fishy

another thing I forgot to mention... all mine comes in on the same line... but thats only after he worked his magic up on the pole...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  5. ireland

ireland Active member

look at the bottom pix it will split the tv signal to two tv sets

the top one will split the signal to 3 tv sets..
    cheers

6. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

lmao.... yeah I know that... I was meaning in context to his question. (using his high speed line to get a tv signal) wasnt sure if that was possible, although I have heared you can... I'm a bit skeptical. Just wanted to know if it worked.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

on my comcast cable tv and internet are on the same line,of course ye need a moden to get the internet signal..

i have cable in every room in my house..and bath rooms whick are 4...and my computer room i have four internet connections..

i have a amp at the head in to boost tbe signal to up the juice for all those cable connections..
    cheers

8. tubacuba

tubacuba Regular member

"might have to use a splitter so 1 line to computer & 2nd to tv. also might need a filter or power booster on the tv line. did that on ours tho using rogers cable. ps, KNOCK OFF the caps as is shouting, against forum rules above."

sorry about the caps..how do i use a filter or power booster and where can i get it? also will i have to go to the pole?i have a splitter but im not going to split it yet because when i plug the internet wire directly to the back of the tv the pictures not clear..i think some sort of filter will work but i dont know what i need..please help me
    thank you

9. ddp

don't need to go up the pole. in my situation, i have 1 line to the house that is split into 2. 1 for computer & 2nd to tv. on the tv line i hooked up a powered booster/spliter that uses power from wall plug to connect 4 tvs because without that booster/spliter the tv screens will be snowy. got booster/spliter from radio shack.

10. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

but my question is this: are you paying for cable television? and if you are of course yours works... What I was wanting to know is if he's planning on just splitting his internet connection w/o paying for television service if that would actually work but I think the context of that question is altogether wrong so please dont answer that and please dont take me for Arkansas, I'm not looking for ways to break the law... just trying to further my education on the subject.. thats all..

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

tubacuba, if your just paying for internet you [bold]CAN'T [/bold] just split it off a get cable TV also. theres a filter they put on the line (at the pole) that [bold]BLOCKS[/bold] the TV signal. so the only choice you have is to pay for cable TV or climb the pole and remove the filter if you do that watch the power lines, if its worth dieing trying to get cable TV free then be my guess LMAO!!!!

12. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

thats what I was thinking, thanks aabbccdd

13. tubacuba

tubacuba Regular member

thanks aabbccdd, i thought thers something stopping it from coming because the internet cable wire has a tv signal but its not clear at all..do you think there is any way i can call the internet company and give them an excuse to remove the filter?? if i can get the filter off that would be awesome
    thank you

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

it will not work calling them and saying that ,the filter doesnt affect your internet connection at all so your only choice is to pay for the cable TV and have them remove the filter or climb the pole or climb a ladder and remove the filter. it twists off with a pair of vice grips is all and then you reconnect it to the line instead of the filter

15. ddp

& get fried in the process by electricity!

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah thats possibly ddp lol!! i think i would pay for the cable or have someone do it knows wha tthe heck there doing

17. tubacuba

tubacuba Regular member

As i've said..when i plugged in the coaxial cable that usually goes to the cable modem into the TV i could see programs but they were very snowy and unclear but it gave me hope since its better than nothing..Can i use that same (high-speed) cable with a booster and plug it into the tv to watch cable tv? b/c im thinking the booster will strenghten the cable signal and make the picture clear
    ARe you a paying customer for cable TV? if not than i want to do the same thing you're doing..which cable booster are you using..i was planning on buying the motorola signal booster