1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid partition table booting W10 from USB

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Louiss97, May 12, 2020.

1. Louiss97

Louiss97 Member

Hello. My grandfather gave me his old XP computer to get it repaired. The Windows XP is stuck in a bootloop so I decided I should try and install W10 on it. I plugged my USB made with Media Creation Tool and when I boot from it I get ”Invalid partition table”. After watching some tutorials I found that is something related to the UEFI or Legacy settings, but it doesn't seem the BIOS has these kind of settings. What can I do?

Also, this computer has a CD-ROM drive, so I tried replacing it vith a DVD-RW to try and boot from a DVD, but the drive is not recognised in the BIOS.

Someone suggested to try and scan the HDD for problems, so I burned Hutil on a CD but I again get "Invalid partition table". \The HDD is an IDE Samsung.

Thank you in advance for your help. I always had trouble with this older tech.
    download ringtones free at: https://phoneringtones.info/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In all likelihood, Win 10 won't work in that computer but one never knows.

Can you get into safe mode?

If so, go to Accessories and right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator."

Type in the following- bootrec /fixmbr

After it finishes, reboot. Did that work?

If not- repeat the step except this time type in- bootrec /fixboot

Reboot after it completes.