invisible laser radiation??

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by HylianGal, Oct 15, 2006.

1. HylianGal

HylianGal Member

hi,

i have a diamond vision dvd player, and it recently started to skip all of my dvds. i suspected a dirty lens/laser, so i took out all the screws and took off the cover, and cleaned the lens/laser...the problem is, INSIDE the dvd player there is a message saying "invisible laser radiation. do not come into contact with beam" or something like that. nice place to put it eh?? anyway, i DID look directly into the lens/laser thing, because i was cleaning it! i had no idea i couldnt go in there! the dvd player was UNPLUGGED. if it is unplugged, does it still have that radiation? im really freaking out!! please help! im new to the forum as well, so be kind ;) thanks!

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Then you are ok. The player has to be ON for the laser to function. It's a Class 1 laser emitting infrared radiation, meaning simply it's really not that powerful and you have to stare directly into the laser for a long time to damage your retina.

http://ehs.uky.edu/radiation/laser_fs.html

3. rocky999

rocky999 Member

When they are talking about radiation in this sense, they mean light being "radiated" or sent out. They do not mean radiation like xray or nuke bomb radiation.
    The only danger with this type of radiation is getting a laser in the eye, but since the power was off (unplugged) you have nothing to worry about.

4. HylianGal

HylianGal Member

thanks a lot you two! you really eased my mind a lot. thanks so much :)