1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"IOS Downgrader" - needed or not?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by UafN, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UafN

UafN Guest

I'm going to software hack my Wii and I'm using this guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/735325

I'm not sure if I need the fix-guide, but my firmware is 3.3u and the Wii is new so I thought that it might need it.

It links to this fix-guide and says to follow the first 3 parts, but it says that "you do not have to downgrade the system". What does it mean? Because in the fix-guide's 3rd part ("Wii Fix Guide") the 5th step says:

Using the ‘Homebrew Channel’, open ‘IOS Downgrader’. Just follow the instructions on the screen and wait until it finishes installing the necessary IOSs.

What does it mean? Is this part unneeded or that it's something different than "system downgrade"?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

No, its not needed. Once you get IOS16 installed you're done with that guide and can return to the one by larrylje on this site.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. UafN

UafN Guest

So I need to follow the guide until I reach "Wii Fix Guide"/Step 4?

And after that's finished simply to follow the original tutorial?

And by the way - aren't there upgrades of all of these custom firmwares? Aren't those files old? Or that you can update when needed? (without doing the whole hack again).

And is it eligible to upgrade the Wii's own firmware or that the "modding" won't work afterwards?

4. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

You dont really need to 'follow' the wii fix guide at all. All you need to know is that you need to install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad. Thats it. Just the one file.

And as for upgrading the custom IOS's, there are different versions and whatnot. You can install new ones or remove installed cIOS's with the wad manager. But as the expression goes: If it ain't broke, dont mess with it.

5. Nels419

Nels419 Member

I would definately downgrade to 3.2x so that you can install starfall and block updates and brock protection/recovery. You will prob have to upgrade eventually, but for now, that is the holy grail of firmwares.

Downgrading is SIMPLE to do and has many benefits.

6. UafN

UafN Guest

But when is it "installed"?

I don't really know what this "IOS" is so I can't tell, but the first part is the file download and the second seems to install the Hombrew-Channel. After the Hombrew-Channel is installed that IOS is also installed?

But is it even sure that I need it? Because my firmware says 3.3u, and the first guide tells you that you need to follow the other one (I'm not even sure what's the difference between them. It uses a different channel?) if you have the "October 23rd" firmware.

Is it a specific firmware version or that it might be the case with several different ones?

7. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Ok, I'll break this down real simple

1) Install homebrew channel via the guide

2) Install the cIOS with the cIOS installer, both are included with the file you downloaded from the guide

3) If you cant install the cIOS then you have the oct 23rd firmware 3.3 update and you need to install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad
    I cant give you a direct link to it because its copyrighted but if you google "IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad" you should be able to find it fairly easily. You only need to install this one file. The one titled cIOS_Fix.wad is not needed.

4) Once IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad is installed, install the cIOS with the cIOS installer.

5) Play your backup games with wiigator.

8. UafN

UafN Guest

The cIOS that might not work is the one that's cited in the "WiiGator" section?

And if I need the fix IOS - how can you install it? Because you said that the fix guide is full of stuff that you don't really need, and I can't find a direct explanation for that IOS fix.

And if WiiGator (as far as I understand) is the backup loader, then what is this "Gamma Boot Loader"?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  9. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Yes... That is EXACTLY what I just told you rephrased in the form of a question. I'm not sure what answer you're expecting, since all I can do is tell you the same thing again.

If you mean IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad then you install it with the wad manager. The right version of the wad manager should come with the download when you find it. If you mean cIOS_Fix.wad then please read better because I said you do not need it. Even in the wii fix guide it says that if you're installing the backup launcher then you dont need cIOS_Fix.wad.

Seriously dude, there's a fine line between newbie and just plain helpless, and you're crossing it. If you were to read... I dunno, just about ANYTHING on the backup launcher, you'd see that wiigator is the name of it, and gamma is the version. Hell, right in the title of the thread you're using as a guide it says "WiiGator Gamma BootLoader"

10. UafN2

UafN2 Guest

Your patience amount is amazing, that wasn't exactly what you told me and it's not that obvious that "Gamma" is a type of a "WiiGator" (because there isn't such a thing as "WiiGator". If it was simply called something like "Backup Loader" it was obvious).

And I don't really know what "WAD" means.
    You say that you're installing the WAD but the software itself is still needed to be installed through this WAD.

A guess - "Installing" the WAD means to transfer a channel files into the storage and the real installation happens through the channel?

And I don't know what this cIOS_Fix.wad is, but it wasn't told in the Fix-Guide that you don't need it if you're installing the loader.

11. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Yes, yes it was exactly what I told you. To be specific, I said:
    Its called the "WiiGator Gamma BootLoader." Gamma, as in the version that comes after a beta. I would understand confusing the terms if they weren't used together, but both wiigator and gamma are together right there in the thread title.

About once a month we get someone on here asking what a wad file is. I tell them, it is either a self-contained channel (virtual console, wiiware, homebrew, exc) or a firmware patch. Wads with IOS in the name are generally firmware patches, they dont appear as channels. You install them with the wad manager, and then thats it. You install them, and they're installed. If there were more steps I would have said so.

I really cant comprehend what your problem is at this point. Just follow the steps. If you cant do that for some reason head to youtube and look up 'wiigator installation' or something and you should be able to find a video walkthrough.

And if you're still confused then do what you were told in the other thread you started before you were banned and find someone else to do the installation for you.

12. UafN2

UafN2 Guest

Inside the guide they were called in seperate words, and almost no-one knows that gamma is a part of a software stage (and by the way - if it's really meant as a development stage - it should be somthing like WiiGator Bootloader Gamma, it makes more sense. You won't say, for example, "World of Gamma Warcraft").

You said that they were included. It's obvious, but because I didn't really know what this cIOS is, and it was just briefly mentioned in the WiiGator section, I asked if that was the thing.

And this "WAD installer", is it something built-in in the hombrew channel or that you need to get it seperatly?

13. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

No, its the wiigator gamma bootloader because thats the way that makes sense. Wiigator is the name of the bootloader. Wiigator gamma is the version of the bootloader. Putting it together, we get wiigator gamma bootloader.

Your example is stupid as well, since world of warcraft is the name of the game, like wiigator is the name of the loader. World of warcraft is a game and wiigator is a bootloader. So if world of warcraft were still in development it would be 'world of warcraft gamma the computer game'

And it doesn't matter if you understand what the cIOS is. It was included with the wiigator guide. The guide says to install it. Everyone here has said to install it. So therefore you should probably install it. It really doesn't take any more understanding than that. The guide does not really go into great detail about the cIOS because its quite simple. In fact, you're the only person on this forum who has ever had a problem with that comprehending that. And we've had some really stupid members with really stupid problems before.

And finally: PLEASE. LEARN. TO. READ.
    I'm done helping you. You've been given all the information MULTIPLE TIMES and yet you still refuse to read it. Having read your earlier work I doubt anyone else here will help you either.

14. UafN2

UafN2 Guest

You know, many times people that act "smart" are actually the stupid one, while they're simply being arrogant.

You don't need to make your stupid replies if you don't want to answer, there are tons of other threads to spread your nonsense at.

You even pretend saying one thing after you've already made a comment that doesn't match it.

And you can keep with your stupid strike-back asnwers, but it still doesn't make much sense.

A game backup is not a boot file, and calling it a bootloader isn't correct.

But I guess that you can answer that with something stupid like "it only operates the boot sequence of the ISO and it doesn't play the game itself" or I don't know what.
    Actually I don't even care what.

And another small thing - no one calls "World of Warcraft" - "World of Warcraft the Computer Game", and there's no need to add "bootloader" of it's not the name of the software.

If it's being consistently used as a counterpart to "WiiGator" then it's a part of the name.

15. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

No one calls it "World of Warcraft the Computer Game" because when you say "World of Warcraft" everyone knows what you're talking about. Just saying "wiigator" isnt quite as obvious what it is. Thus the 'bootloader' part. But its kind of long typing out 'wiigator gamma bootloader' all the time so when people like those on here type out long and detailed guides for newbies it often gets shortened to just wiigator.

Most people have at least half a brain and can figure out that if you see 'wiigator gamma bootloader' somewhere, and then just 'wiigator' a few lines later then they're probably talking about the same thing. Its much like when world of warcraft players abbreviate the name down to WoW. Nobody flips out and says "WTF IS WOW SUPPOSED TO MEAN! YOU PEOPLE ARE ELITIST BASTARDS BECAUSE I CANT BE BOTHERED TO SPEND 30 SECONDS FIGURING OUT WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!"

And BTW, I'm not contradicting my previous statement about being done with you because I said that I was done helping you. I said nothing about being done pointing out your rampant stupidity. Though I fear that to make it any clearer than I already have I may need a flowchart...

16. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@UafN2

It is simple.

If you don't like the way the guide is phrased then hit the road. No one is forcing you to use it. What makes no sense to me is why you have to argue with someone that is only trying to help you out. If anyone is being arrogant it is you. Rabbling on about WoW and Bootloader at the end of WiiGator Gamma. Since you simply think you know more then all of us feel free to make your own guide and phrase it how you think it should be phrased.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  17. UafN2

UafN2 Guest

Again, I know that you're trying to look smart, but every comment just makes you seem even dumber.

None of your statements has a basis and by looking how fanatic, stupid and antipathetic you are, I would be surprised if you even got a single friend.

And "larrylje", seriously, please read the comments first and look who's arrogant and forcibly started this "argument".

I didn't start slandering, complaining or anything, just that this (sound like) *bleep* nerd tries to inject other people with his stupid Wii-"knowledge".

You don't want to answer? You can *bleep* leave, no one asked you to make a comment here.

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As for your first question.

When it says you do not have to downgrade the system, it means the firmware of the Wii.

I added firmware in the guide to make it more clear.

To determine what version of 3.3 you have follow the WiiGator guide and if you get an error when installing the cIOS then you more then likely have the OCT 23rd update. If it installs with no error then you should be good to go.

If you need to perform the fix do to the OCT 23rd firmware update then follow the first 3 parts of the linked fix guide.

Hope that is clear enough for you.

19. penguin98

penguin98 Regular member

Ok, UafN2. I've been beyond patient with you. Now you're saying 'no one asked larrylje to answer.' Well let me turn that back around on you. Not only were you not asked to join this forum, but you were told to leave and not return. Its been obvious who you were since your second post, but even though a moderator has said you are no longer welcome on this forum I decided to give you another chance to act mature and take a shot at answering your questions. That was a stupid mistake on my part.

Let me begin by saying that we have had some rather stupid members on this forum over the years, but generally even the slowest ones have managed to figure out the simple guides they were presented with. Never before has someone been too stupid to understand the even further simplified explanations of said guides. Truly, this is a first. You should be honored.

The fact that you resort to childish name calling and complaining over every possible little detail is just icing on the cake. Normally I'd feel bad for not being able to help you. Thankfully your constant abuse has killed any pity I may once have felt for you.

I would suggest that you find another forum to terrorize, something more fitting of your level of childishness. If I were you I'd start with 4chan, but I'm afraid that even they may be too mature to deal with someone like you.

Before you go though, can you please tell me that you dont drive? Because the idea of sharing the roads with someone like you is just frightening.

And larrylje, I already told him that earlier. He either refuses to read it or just enjoys being an ass. I honestly cant be bothered to figure out which it is at this point.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. UafN2

UafN2 Guest

Wow, you really are stupid.

Did I say "larrylje" who told you to answer?
    No, idiot, it was directed to you.

You're so good at determining "Gamma" and "WiiGator" but you fail at this?

And you probably suffer from Asperger syndrome because you seriously lack any social skill, or brain skills. Stupid. And hypocritic. Check again who started to act like a *bleep*.

And by the way, I don't need you to analayze my intelligence.
    I had enough IQ tests and believe me that I worth much more than you would've ever managed to with your *bleep* Wii-Brain.

And "4chan"? What the hell is that?
    Probably one of your gay websites, I can guess.

Find some real stuff to do than compensating over the lack of social interactions in your life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.