ip trouble

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by snoogy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. snoogy

snoogy Guest

hi wheni google what is my ip it comes up with a ip but not mine? what does this mean? last night i done CMD>IPCONFIG>IPCONFIG/RELEASE> and wheni woke up today i done >IPCONFIG/RENEW but it still the same why do i have this problem and how do i fix it?? thanks

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Unless your computer is directly connected to the Internet, you're most likely getting your IP address from a router. This will usually be 192.168.x.x. The IP address that the Internet (http://whatismyip.com/) sees is the address that your ISP is providing to you. In order to see this address, you would need to look at your modem, not your computer.

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Even if you are Googling a public IP address, as opposed to a private address (specifically, 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, etc.) it usually doesn't mean anything. Most IP addresses are dynamic or semi-dynamic, meaning they can be reassigned, Semi-dynamic IPs usually mean the IP is assigned based on the hardware address of the device attached to your modem (the router's hardware address if you use one, or your PC's hardware address if you don't.) The point is, someone likely had your public IP address previously. It's nothing to worry about unless you are being blacklisted, in which case, you'd probably better find another ISP anyway.

4. snoogy

snoogy Guest

1st of all thanks you for your replys, i luv you guys, and you are right i am using a router, but the problem i have is i am banned from a site i like and i would love to be able to use this site again is there anyway i can change my ip address?? thanks again

5. silk42

silk42 Regular member

It depends how your ISP is handing out IP addresses. You can go into your router and release and renew your IP, but most likely you'll get the same address. You can disconnect your modem from your ISP for awhile and you may get a new address when you reconnect it. It will usually depend on how long they have set the time for your IP address to expire. It's possible that you would have to keep it disconnected for a few days. Finally, you can call your ISP and ask if they can force a new IP address on your modem. I'm not sure how willing they'll be to help with this though.