Is DiVX = XViD ?????

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jafer, Dec 13, 2006.

1. jafer

jafer Member

I am searching for a DVD player.......And, I normally seem to notice that DiVX is always labeled on the product's ad/description. I am more interested in XViD b/c I mostly download material in XViD format. I do know that both DiVX & XViD derive from MPEG-4, but, are they interchangable?....meaning can they both play each other's format? Due to the fact that I rarely see XVid mentioned in the description, I assumed DiVX can play XViD movies. Is this True? Can MPEG-4 (MP4) play both since DIVX and XVID come from that family? If it can, I'll then settle for this ......

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

AFAIK, all players which support divx will also support xvid. In the case of ESS Vibratto-based players, like the Philips DVP-642, which I own, xvid seems to actually work better than divx. Maybe it's just that the xvids I have don't use custom matrices or qpel, but they seem to have fewer problems. xvid and divx are extremely closely related though divx is more developed and extensible. More modern, Mediatek-based players also have no problem with xvid.