1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Valid, May 13, 2005.

1. Valid

Valid Member

So is this thing backwards compatible cause i couln't find the TWO [bold]Black[/bold] or [bold]White[/bold] buttons on the controller and you think you are able to use the Xbox controllers?

THANKS for anyhelp

-Valid-

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I don't think it is.

3. kenzlee

kenzlee Member

from what i've heard said to have been confirmed, no it will not be backwards compatible.

4. sumdude

sumdude Member

5. sumdude

sumdude Member

6. sumdude

sumdude Member

7. sumdude

sumdude Member

srry my internet is really slow and messed up, i did not mean to post that 3 timese srry

8. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

WOW triple post. No worries though. Actually, M$ is trying to do it but hasnt been acomplished yet. Here is the problem, the old xbox was made with a NVidia video card and the 360 will have an ATI card, so in order to do this they not only have to find a way to convert the games to ATI, but they will most likely have to give NVidia some type of royality.

The screenshots that were shown on ourcolony.net vid were actually from a Mac G5 not from the 360 (funny M$ is using macs for development), BUT Allard did say people can play live against people with either system, so that implies their will be backwards compatability.

The Black and White buttons have been moved to front, on top of the trigger buttons, they are calling them sholder buttons.

9. sumdude

sumdude Member

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22839... this talks about them saying that the xbox will play games on xbox live with the xbox 360. http://videogames1.mtv.com/pages/news/story.php?id=6124365... this says that they have xbox 360 backwards compatible because they have pics of halo2 and fable, also next to the fable icon is a catagorey that says (xbox1zone) so thats what that says. http://www.ourcolony.net... this video will acually show proof that they are playing halo 2, atv vs. mtx and the whole xbox 1 zone, so i think they will upgrade the xbox live to make it compatible wit the xbox 360. Tell me your thoughts.

10. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

I don't think so because I heard that it will support HD-Dvd but I could be wrong especially since the Consortium of Blu-ray and HD-Dvd will try and squash any future compatibility issues. So who knows. I really doubt it because also Xbox plans to still release Xbox games until 2007

11. Strazza

Strazza Guest

i just heard on the xbox 360 press conference that "it will be backwards compatible with the top rating xbox games".

12. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yeah ive just read that too

13. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

this is info i could find, sorry its long :)

"Microsoft's pre-E3 conference has revealed a number of new details about the Xbox 360 console, including the fact that the system will be backwards compatible and the arrival of Square Enix' first product for a Microsoft console.

The news that the console will be backwards compatible was announced by chief Xbox officer Robbie Bach at the event, and ends months of speculation over whether it would be technically - and legally - possible for Microsoft to implement this feature.

However, the phrasing of the backwards compatability announcement is notable; Microsoft has only pledged that the "best selling" Xbox titles will be compatible, suggesting that not all Xbox games will play nicely with the hardware in Xbox 360.

What's more interesting is the range of Xbox 360 native software which the company is touting - with over 160 titles claimed to be in development for the console, 25 to 40 of which will be available within three months of the system's launch in late 2005.

One of the biggest announcements of the event was that Square Enix' Final Fantasy XI massively multiplayer game is coming to Xbox 360, marking the first time that the Japanese publisher has given its support to a Microsoft console.

The game is one of the most popular massively multiplayer games in the world, and is already available on PlayStation 2 and PC. In fact, players of the Xbox 360 version will be playing against their peers on PS2 and PC.

The announcement that FFXI will come to Xbox 360 is significant largely because of the softening in Square Enix' attitude to Xbox it represents, with the two companies describing it as being just the beginning of their collaboration.

Other software titles which have been confirmed at the event include a significant line-up from Electronic Arts (including Madden NFL 06, Need For Speed Most Wanted and The Godfather), Capcom's new zombie title Dead Rising, and perhaps unsurprisingly, Tecmo's Dead or Alive 4.

The company has yet to pin an exact release date on Xbox 360, but it has pledged that the device will launch simultaneously in North America, Europe and Japan. Interestingly, it has also made a commitment to continue selling games for the first Xbox after the launch of Xbox 360."

14. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

it IS backwards compatable.

15. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

Yes it is backwards compatable but like the people up top said only with the top rated games witch means it may not be fully backwards compatable with all games... Also the balck and white buttons are on top of the controller shoulders there is a middle button where the old xbox logo was before it's now a button w/ the new xbox logo so when you press it it brings up a 4split screen for you to costomize music and everything go to www.xbox360.com and turn the controller so you can see the top and you'll see the black and white buttons both white though.

16. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

i read this story this morning, was put online really early in the morning, im the UK so its really early for me lol!

17. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

I wish it wasnt
    when are people going to realize, when you make a console backward compatible, you have to make sacrifices to the technology.

I say, plug in your old one, and your new "not fridge looking" xbox 360 :)

btw, who are nintendo again?

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  18. FATX

FATX Guest

I just got this from xbox-scene.com

Xbox360 Backward Compatibility: No Recompiling
    >> Unlike what several news-sources reported earlier, Major Nelson (alias Larry Hryb, the Xbox Live Director of Programming) posted on his blog Xbox top-titles will work directly on Xbox360 (emulated) - no recompiling needed:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2005