is my drive on the way out

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by foodex, Nov 13, 2005.

1. foodex

foodex Member

hi there
    just looking for some handy information that people might be holding on to about the good old thomson drive. i have one of the as people like to say the first xbox's to come out (preordered) and just recently put a mod chip in (duox 2) and all my origanal games seem to work fine but here's the catch half of my back-ups run slow/jerkey or i get the dirty disc error on some of the games.

does this mean the drive is on the way out? also i have checked the games on other machines and they worked on them.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If the origanal games work fine then more then likly it is DVD Backup media issue. Make sure you use good media. Your drive seems to be having trouble reading the disc. What DVD media you using? DVD-R or DVD+R and what brand? Try diffrent media and +R -R disc etc etc. Try to find somthing your Xbox likes and can play well then stick with it.

I have my Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 modded and they all 3 take diffrent media. Just shows how much of a diffrence media can be. Media I use on my Xbox dosent work well with my PS2 or Gamecube. Vice-versa with the media I use on the other systems.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  3. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

This might be a given,but always burn your back-ups slow,like 4x. I agree with larrylje about your media,as I have Thompson drives in two seperate xbox consoles and one will play any type of media,DVD+R, -R ,CD-R and +RW while the other only plays +R. Media sounds to be the culprit,but burning speed can play a part too. Good luck

4. foodex

foodex Member

i usually burn all of the games on princo dvd-r @ 2x, and what would you call good media.
    I also chiped a friends xbox and his drive (pillips) it would not read anything burnt, but when i placed the drive in my brothers it played everything.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

SO yours and your friends Xbox wont play the disc but your brothers will? If thats the case then you need diffrent media. Your Xbox drive dosent like that media.

6. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

Taiyo Yuden,Verbatum,Fuji are some of the better media available. Check the forums for more details,there are plenty of threads available to help you out :]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  7. foodex

foodex Member

thanks for all your help i'll have a look around

8. Metosky

Metosky Member

All my Games give me dirty disc screen. new games too.
    the lens is clean , Is there something I do to help the xbox laser from going out? Is there a mod to fix anything?

9. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

Try realigning the dvd tray,a tutorial is here:http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thompson_dvd_tray.htm

And,did you clean the mirror when you cleaned the lens? I was also getting the dirty disk error with everything I put in my Xbox and jsut cleaning the leans did not fix my problem. Once I cleaned the mirror,the error went away. Lens cleaning tutorial here:http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/cleaning_your_dvd_drive.htm

10. Metosky

Metosky Member

Ps. It is at any time in the game.
    I can play the same game for 5 min.-60min before it happens
    could this still mean its dirty?

11. dikdimond

dikdimond Regular member

Or,the laser is going bad. IMO if cleaning or realigning doesn't have an effect then the laser is going bad.