1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Shrink too slow?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sean5775, Jan 5, 2005.

1. chumpi

chumpi Guest

I am runing XP Pro, P4 3.0800mghz, 1 gig memory
    80 gig HD Nero 6.0. I analised the dvd in just under one minute, decoding it in under 30 minutes, and burning it as fast as 7 minutes, but always under 20 minutes, and i do multitasking while burning.

2. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

mdnap... Back to 2 hours? hmm. Maybe a crucial settings in windows (DMA) or related got set back? Windows can be frustrating for anyone. XP is mostly great, but it will always be MS Windows, lol (i.e not completely trustable) I actually backup up my windows partition and restore sometimes. But your drives haven't moved back to how they were, so it's most likely software, unless your hardware has glitches. Maybe DDP has an idea. All you can do is start trying things all over again because no one will know what changed. That stinks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

put dvd rom as slave to hd & keep dvd burner as master on secondary

4. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

mdnap - one possible thing is that your fast burn you did was a DVD5 and the one you did that was back to 2 hours was a DVD9. You should let us know if thats the case or not. Its something that can easily be overlooked. In case you don't know a DVD 5 is single side single layer and does not require compression, and a DVD9 is dual layer and usually requires compression depending on what you keep and what you remove.

5. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I tried the NERO speed test on my drives and well I don't know quite how to interpret this. It seemed to show my DVD rom speed at 6.2X, or maybe im not doing the right tests. I read the manual on it and didnt seem to get many answers, I ran most of the tests that it can do. Maybe if someone is familier with how this operators and how I should be doing it, I would really appreciate that.

6. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I also checked the times without the DVD ROM drive installed and did not notice any difference. If there was any difference it was very small and insignificant

7. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

I would look at the green graph first which shows how fast it copies as it goes. Reading accelerates, so you should see a smooth, rising almost parabolic curve with few spikes. Kind of like a hill going up. With a layer 5 (3.29GB used of 4.3), mine started with 6.80x and ended at 14.62x. Then you can look at other figures if you feel like it. I haven't tested many dvd's yet with this new machine. So 6.2X is your ending speed?

Here's how it went: 6.80x start, It reached 12X after copying 2GB, 12.8X copying 3GB, 14.62X by end of dvd. More stats: Elapsed time 3:59, Random Seek 114 ms, 1/3 seek 140 ms, full seek 217ms, 11.19avergage, CPU usage at 1X 13%, 2x 13%, 4x 26%, 8x n/a... So at 4x it was eating 26% of my cpu. That's something to look at but, what speed your burner will speed up to will show how fast you can read. A 16X spec for reading only means 16X MAX. So the ending speed should approach that. Mine didn't get 16, but 14.62 (almost 15, hmm) Then you can look at more involved scores afterwards... It's good that your dvd-rom isn't slowing anything. One more down, 3 to go, lol.

8. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok I basically played around with it a bit and I think I had figured it all out on my own, at least your advise made me more certain that I did it right LOL

anyways yes the DVD ROM drive at 6.4 the next time I did it, and the DVD-R drive ended at 15.8 so it seems that the DVD ROM is slow. I didnt write down the CPU usage because i wasnt really looking for that.

But the funny thing is that no matter which drive I put the original in, it still takes the same amount of time. That still makes me believe I might have done something wrong. Exactly which test is it that I should be doing to get these results?

9. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Oops, I hadn't posted my 2nd test for DVD9 yet.. Hope I didn't throw you off with the first. Layer 5 will act different than layer 9. Also 5, will get different endings depending on how full it is. Mine wasn't quite full. -- So anyway, I just finished the test with a larger DVD-9 movie, using 7.8GB. Curve will be different from a layer 5. The curve should go up and peak near 4GB (center) and come back down, like a hill with a downside. Start 3.44X, 1GB copied 5.2X, 2GB 6.42X, 3GB 7.4X, 4GB 8.11X (peak), 5GB 7.15X, 6GB 6.01X, 7GB 4.81X, 8GB 3.43GB - Total time 17 mins 17 seconds. END 8.20X - The main Result. As you can see, my peak is much lower on this DVD-9. Also, I listed speeds after each GB copied to show the true nature of the curve since some drives speed up differently. I use the test in Nero speed version 3.12 inside of NeroSmart (Nero 6). You don't have to have the exact same program/version.

10. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

well I have nero speed version 1.00 with my NERO 6 Ultra edition. It seems so complicated and well dumb. I think maybe I should find an updated version because it seems to not support most discs I put in for the test. It says Disc support error or something like that, I had problems getting a disc to use for these tests. Or else I will look for that program you forgot the name of, Im sure with a few google searches I might be able to find it.

11. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Here is a link to 3.61.. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_cd_speed.cfm

This will act like my program does and is even newer. I will try to remember the name of the other one I had too. I also got a scrambled sector error myself. I had to run PowerDVD load the movie, then shut down PowerDVD.. Then run Nero Speed test to avoid the protection thing.

12. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

What kind of discs are using for the tests? Originals, Backups, and blanks were all giving me those errors, I tried a CD that worked, and I found an old DVD that had some instructions for something on it and that worked for the test that I did, other then that nothing else that I own probably would have worked at all.

13. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

The 1st was layer5 NASA (25 years) non-encrypted original. The 2nd was Star Wars - Phantom Menace, layer9 original - encrypted. I found that Nero speed test will NOT work on Star Wars unless I load it into my power dvd player first. That realeases the protection. Crazy huh? NASA was never protected to begin with..

I just tried the test on a backup done with shrink.. So the DVD is totally full. It got a start of 3.39X, an End of 8.14X and an average of 6.09.. I forgot to list my average scores in the notes above, but my average appears to be inbetween my start and end anyway. The NASA movie that was an old layer 5 got the top score and was misleading. They are all printed differently, so that seems to make the difference. What is your error? Did you try the 3.61 version?

14. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Im gonna get the 3.61 version and try that since what I had seems pretty much useless, I even tried opening the DVD's in powerdvd and that didnt work either, hopefully the newer version will. Will post back after I try it out.

15. vans12

vans12 Regular member

i have a 2.8 ghz with 512 and dvdshrink takes about 45min for me then about 15min to burn with clonedvd2. do you have it set to compress realy realy small.

16. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I have it set to compress to 4300 MB

17. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

vans12, the compression setting won't really help you reduce the 45 mins.. Well not much. Compressing it more would actually take longer (coming in), but not very noticable. As Sean mentions use 4300. Also you want to try and let it fill the DVD so the quality is best. You might like Shrink 3.2. It automatically adjusts to the size of dvd, plus you can still adjust manual if you like. It's here if you are interested.. http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/software.php?file=dvdshrink

But again, it's mostly system dependent. Some software will do it faster than others, but shrink is pretty good.

18. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok I upgraded to the newer version, now the problem is even worse, I now get copyright errors, failed sector errors and a couple of others. Plus I can no longer play a DVD in either drive, yet they still read DVD's for backing up and the burner still works, but I really need to be able to play DVD's on the computer, that is a must for me.

When I try to play DVD's now it says 'Playback Failed due to a problem with the video subsystem' I use powerdvd daily and have never had a problem.

19. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

That's odd. Are you using windows XP? But Nero speed test is backwards compatible anyway. I don't get a copyright message here on mine. It actually it says scrambled sector, then I load in power dvd, and it works. I'm sorry that happened with your system, but But Nero's problem doesn't effect powerdvd in ANY way. And I AM sure on that. It doesn't install anything, that is how I know. It only runs.

-- The 'Playback Failed due to a problem with the video subsystem' may be caused because you might have installed that junk, InterActual Player. See add/remove programs. Some DVD's will load amneu to bring up software to install when you first pop them in. Then people think they have to install it to play the DVD but they don't. I'm not saying you did this, but maybe you did. Here, see: http://player.interactual.com/help/support/articles/0111.asp Also the Nero Speed test link I gave you is only a zip file with one executable in it. It doesn't install anything else, or change copy protection, or video subsystems. It also doesn't upgrade your Nero or system. You'll notice there is not setup part to it. And you can still run your old one.. It only runs and that's it. The protection I mentioned is because Nero can't get authorization to run until you run your DVD in another player. Windows media player would have worked too.. Maybe you can reboot. IF that doesn't work, you could maybe try going back with system restore. But I'd take it slow and see if you aren't missing something somewhere. You might want to uninstall the interactual player that you don't need if all else fails.

20. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok I somehow must have installed that interactual player because it was on my system. I don't know why they put that crap on DVD's. I uninstalled that and the DVD playback is fine now, but still can't get anything in nero. But I got a few other ideas Im going to try out first.