1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Shrink too slow?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sean5775, Jan 5, 2005.

1. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Well that's good that playing ability is back. I don't know why Speed test doesn't work at this point. The link I posted was messed up. I just re-edited my post. If you haven't tried it, it's fixed now. But it sounds like you got it resolved anyway. If you mean your Nero burn software doesn't work, that could be reinstalled.... I wouldn't worry too much about getting Nero speed test to work because it's only an indication of the maximum speed your system can do, but won't prove how fast you can shrink something. And some people think it's fun to see the results. But if it's too frustrating, or doesn't work, you don't really need it anyway.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well that stuff didnt work still. I can't open dvd's with windows media player, because I don't have the DVD decoder and Im not interested in buying one from microsoft, unless maybe theres a free one somewhere. Otherwise is there another decent freeware DVD player that I might be able to try? I really want to run this test at least on my DVD ROM since I feel that might have some problems, it is old, and It always takes a while to open a dvd to play on it, where the burner is pretty much instant.

3. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

I've noticed that some systems with media player won't play anything, but if powerdvd is installed, sometimes windows media starts working after that point.... I'm not sure what versions cause this though. Also I have bad luck when I run media player first. When I pop in a DVD it asks me if I want to play the movie. Then it works. But I always skip because I can't stand media player anyway.. I like powerdvd. I don't know of another decent freeware player. I'd have to look in google. But still, powerdvd is all you needed to make sure nero speed test would run. If it doesn't run after loading the movie in powerdvd, then the problem is elsewhere in your software. Out of curiousity, could I ask what windows and version you are you running? If I think of any other way to get the test to run, I will also post it.

4. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

also, you should get an error that mentions a scrambled sector and not having authorization in Nero speed test. Then the things I said would probably work. If it's another error, then that is different and must be changed first.

5. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Im still messing around trying to find other software on my system that could be causing this. Im running windows XP which im not a big fan of, Im seriously thinking of trying a version of linux I have a few friends that swear by it now that they switched.

BTW I said it before but I really appreciate your help, and you have already helped out quite a bit.

6. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Yes, software can hard to get just right. XP can be great or be a curse. I have adjusted like 100 settings so it works good for me. On Linux, you might find you like some things better, but also find that many typical things you can do in XP are a pain to get to work under linux. The grass is always greener on the other side, LOL. My opinion is that it's not really any better...... Unless you really know what you want it for, then it's perfect for some. It all depends on how much and what you want to do with it I guess. I've done systems for many years, and it doesn't float my boat. I only see it as a typical tool good for some types of biz's. Also, you will encounter just as many problems like you did tonight under linux anyway. Not to mention some things you like to get on the market may not be compatible (hardware/software). Your friend will obviously show you it's best points. Only you can decide what's best of course. But again, it's only my opinion.. I'm glad you appreciated the help. I hope you get it all going.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Now my DVD seems to be playing DVD only sometimes, I did remove a fair amount of software some of which had to do with playing videos and alot of it I never heard of before either, but its getting stressful and Im just gonna worry about it tommorrow.

8. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well finally that NERO test is working for me. I don't know what I did to get it to work but as long as it works I guess.

DVD-RW start at 6.82X End at 14.98X

DVD ROM Start at 3.20X End at 6.79X

I should have wrote down more numbers, but either way the DVD ROM seems to be quite slow in comparason to the RW drive both of which are rated at 16X read speed. Is this a sign of a bad drive?

9. punx777

punx777 Regular member

man this thread got big fast, noone answered my question on the first or 2nd page yet and i have a feeling it aint gunna get answered

10. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Ok someone will answer it, You want to know what the difference between shrink and decrypter is? Well I don't know much about it but I only use decrypter when it is absolutely necessary to rip a movie, such as RE2 which is the only time I have ever used it. I use shrink and nero all the time. I know dvd decrypter is capable of burning a DVD and DVD Shrink is not by itself. But Im sure someone can give a better answer then I just gave.

11. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I finally remembered to check my memory usage while buring. Well It is all over the place which is probably not good anywhere from 6000K to 375000K of available memory, although it was at 375000 between tracks, maybe that is normal, but going down to 6000K thats don't sound good. Should I be getting more RAM?

12. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

New carpet is being installed in the next day or two which means the entire office is being emptied, including computers, LOL. So I've been slowed down, but anyway - Sounds like you got your problems resovled and even the Nero Speed test.. Yes, I do see the difference between your drives. It seems like your newer one does a lot better than the older one. That's another good use for the test.. comparing drives.

Since your memory dips down to 6000K (6MB) , I'd say get more ram if you prefer xp being smoother. I could not remember how 512MB responded before, but do now. It will sink down to zero as data goes over the bus. XP uses ram differently depending on how much you give it. I have 1GB, and it immediately grabs 300MB to 350MB leaving 650 to 700MB (roughly) available. But after that, the number never sinks to zero in most applications including burning. Almost everything I do it sits at nearly 700MB free, or 670 roughly. This is *great* because that means when it is done the XP memory cache is not blown. That memory cache holds info for XP, icons bits of graphics (everything) and tries to remember them for later. If it can remember what it loaded before, thing will seem to load very quickly as they are loaded from ram and not HD. If your memory goes down to zero, you will see that your system responds very slowly after burning for a minute or two. If you open a browser, it must be totally reloaded. Not the end of the world.. But I like it simply popping up fast. It also helps to multi-task when burning if programs stay in ram. I make it a point to not do anything much during a burn, but I can open a browser if I choose and it's smooth.

The reason is XP needs a certain amount of ram to funnel the movie data through. After that 300MB it doesn't seem to touch the rest when you have 1GB. I don't want to say this is true always, but I've watched mine and it sure seems to be like that with 1GB. When you have 512MB it works differently. XP grabs nearly all of it, then tries to make use of the swap file. You'd think it would grab 300 and leave 212, but it doesn't work like that. It's hard to explain exactly why because XP responds differently depending on what you give it. For example, XP grab as much ram as possible when it sees a 256MB system. Yet it will leave some. But with each program load it just ends up with all of it. It just balances XP and apps with swap files and that is slower. If all your XP is cached in 1GB it will stay smooth for most things. It's not a MUST to buy the ram if you are burning fine. I'd say get it if you like not running out and want XP staying smoother. It will make your windows more responsive after doing other large memory gobbling things too. With 512 you are seeing it run out a little. Someone with 256 would see this happen a lot faster and more. I don't see it at all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  13. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Hi, punx777 Decrypter was written before shrink. It's big use was to decrypt the key allowing the video to be backed up. Programs like Nero or Easy CD will not allow you to back up programs. Newer versions of Decrypter allowed more, like the ability to burn directly... But newer programs, like from 321 studios XCOPY and Shrink decrypted, backed up in a way that "seemed" easier for some people. Also Shrinks big feature is that it will *Recompress* a video on a 9GB layer 9 DVD down so it can fit on a store bought 4.3GB blank using special compression methods. Decrypter won't do this.... Unless a new version now can. At least that is how it started out. So they are very similiar but from different authors and with some different main features. Shrink also seems to be very intuitive allowing you to move sliders and delete sections of the DVD while keeping the struture the same.. Still, Decrypter has other advantages. And as Sean5775 pointed out Shrink needs to know that burning software is availble or it doesn't work.

Decrypter can allow reading in ISO mode and seems to be more of a technical tool, while Shrink seems to be more set up for simply backing up movies. With ISO mode in decrypter you could for example pretty much clone the older/smaller type DVD5's that are 4.3GB or under with decrypter in ISO mode rather than file mode. But the output of a large DVD won't fit on a small 4.3 from decrypter. When this all started 2 years back or so, people had to get special editing tools to make a large DVD fit on 2 smaller DVD's and they would split them. Not much fun. There's more but that is the very basic idea. One suggestion. If you find that people seem to ignore your question, it may not be on purpose. In a large thread, started by someone else, sometimes questions are accidently missed. If you start a brand new thread, it will usually get answered faster than burying it in a thread with a different topic. I actually didn't even see yours even though I thought I read it all. I'm not trying to be rude, just helpful. I'd bet that if you stated a new thread right now, you would get tons of answers with even more info. It also may already be answered someone in the forum, and search might help.

14. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well Im getting really stressed over all this. I bought a few new DVD's today and backed them up. Well the first one took 3 and a half hours, and the second one took 2 hours and 15 minutes and it did not require compression. Basically put, Im back to square one. I even tried yet another backup of Troy, which I did all my testing with and it was well over 3 hours. I did it in under 1 hour at one point. I even disabled all startup items and non Microsoft services and the time was not improved, although the Ram seemed to stay around 275000, which is does not do if I just do the backup with all the other regular processes etc running.

Before I rush out and buy some new RAM, I can remove the extra RAM out of my second computer which will boost this one to 1GB and see how that might change things.

I already checked the drives to make sure they are in DMA mode and other then that I'm fresh out of ideas as to what would have caused the dramatic slowdown of these backups. I did a defrag 2 days ago and tested with Troy right after that and it was under 1 hour. Then today its right back to how it was when I started this thread, about a week ago or so.

Will post back after I put the new RAM in, im gonna do that right away actually, somehow I have the feeling that this is not gonna make a big difference, hopefully I'm wrong. LOL

15. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

Sorry to hear that your burning is slow again. I guess there is something messing you up that you have not discovered yet. And I don't have any idea what it could be. I edited my suggestion about ram to actually add the fact that more ram will not speed up your burn anyway.. Only you had read it and wrote back before I got done editing it, lol.. I edit a lot sometimes. If you look at my edit time you will see we were writing at the same time. So you might want to re-read it. I suggest that it will make your XP really nice and smooth and you should try it if you want that to be the case. I doubt it will solve your burning problems. As for it staying at 275000 with services disabled, that means you hit the sweet spot where xp is funneling data without depleting cache memory. If you have too much happening, XP tends to just start drinking it until it's gone.. But try your 1GB, and you'll *most likely* find that it reaches a certain point and quits sinking in most cases. Again, it's not needed for burning. If you only had 128 or 256, I'd wonder, but not with 512... But yes, your problem is most likely not your ram, but something undiscovered so far. I suspect it too, because first you are quick, then you are slow.
    It might simply be that your other drive is somehow intermittently causing your read speed to be slow. This is just a guess, but maybe you should pull out your older drive and see if the problem clears up. Another idea, you could have cable going bad. I really really, hate to guess and cause people to do things that don't work, LOL..... But I'm tossing out ideas.

16. BlueLaser

BlueLaser Member

A few more random ideas. Some of these are annoying and time consuming, but I'll put them here. Your problem could be almost anything with hardware or software... but if you have another IDE cable, try it for the CDrom, and maybe the drive. Then you eliminate that possibility. I once had a 2nd drive's letter D: keep dissapearing in XP. I tried everything for days only to find out my IDE cable had bad wires in it, and a new one solved it. Try only the faster burner without dvd-rom for now. Make sure the HD and Burner are at the end of the IDE cables. If possible, get a hold of another burner and see how it responds. Like borrow one, or buy and return one from BB. Yes, that's pretty time consuming, but it's a last resort. Maybe back up your current windows (if possible), then install fresh. Then you can go back to it later if needed. May be hard if your C is huge and full. Mine is partitioned and I use drive image to backup and restore windows.

Also do a speed test with Nero while it's running slow and see if the score has dropped. I know! Maybe you could put the "good" burner into your other computer and see if it's time to do Troy beats your really bad time in the current problem machine. Even if it's a slower computer. Unless it's really slow.... You could also see if the time stays stable.... Just some ideas. You could even change the whole computer and burner, (only kidding)

17. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well you got some ideas there Im willing to try out. I did the RAM switch and it didnt help the backup, but I did notice a significant increase in the speed and smoothness of XP.

It might take me a few days to try out all those ideas, well I may not do them all but most. I will post back after I tried out all the ideas I can.

18. DjaizDude

DjaizDude Member

19. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I don't have service pack 2 and im not really interested in getting it, Im about as anti-microsoft as anyone can get. I figure that the service pack probably would do me more harm then good, possibly invade my privacy and other stuff won't get into it. But still theres some interesting info on that site. I am still trying some suggestions of bluelaser's and nothing so far is helping drastically.

20. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Well nothing is working. I guess I just need to accept the fact that until I get a new system im probably looking at 3 hour backups.