Is there any way I can remove the system tray icon, but still have the program running?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by farahm2, Feb 11, 2010.

1. farahm2

farahm2 Member

Is there any program that will let me remove the system tray icon (and I mean actually remove it from the system tray, and not just hiding it behind that arrow) but still have the process running at the same time? Or is there any windows hack that will allow me to do this? Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Do you mean the Quick Launch items on the left of the Taskbar, the Open Programs tabs in the centre or the System Tray on the right (the ones around the clock)?

The Quick Launch thingie on the left has an arrow and can be removed by right clicking on an empty area of the Taskbar then from the menu select 'Toolbars' and uncheck 'Quick Launch'.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You don't mention what OS you're running.
    Here's how you can do it in Vista:
    Right Click on the Task Bar, and under "Icons", choose "Customize" and "Hide" the one you want:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. farahm2

farahm2 Member

@attar, no I'm talking about the system tray on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (near the clock), not the quick launch.

@cyprusrom, I'm running vista. I have already done what you suggested, but like I said before, I want the icon to be completely gone. What you suggested only makes the icon hidden behind the arrow and when you click the arrow, the icon reappears. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the icon completely disappear from the system tray, but still have the process running.

I guess there isn't a way to do that then.

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Here's some info on a program called "WatchCat". It does not hide the icons that are in sys tray, but it can hide any active window, so I guess all you have to do is open the program you want to hide, and don't minimize it to tray, just hide it. I think it can be password protected.

Scroll down to the Answer 15, he says it works with Vista:

http://blog.excastle.com/2004/10/26/watchcat/#comment-4715