1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iso and cso - basics for newbies & troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by wasted420, Mar 31, 2008.

1. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

iso and cso the basics for newbies

this is a post for newbies since i see at least a dozen iso and cso related questions so this will be for quick reference.

part I.)
    1.) the iso i will be referring to are direct rips of a psp umd not a ps1 game if you are trying to play a ps1 iso you have a long way to go. cso is a compressed version of an iso they work the same a cso will save space on you mem stick (note iso's and cso's go in the same folder root\iso do not create a cso folder !!)

2.)you can only play backed up psp games if you have custom firmware if you do not have custom firmware go here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/708959 to get started and come back when you have 3.71m33 or higher yes previous firmwares work but you will be the one asking why stuff doesn't work.

part II.) now that you have 3.71m33 or better you need to get the iso files i recommend doing this by ripping the game your self so you know the iso is good you can download them as well but you must find the links yourself. to rip your own umd:

1.) put umd in psp
    2.) press select button change usb device to umd
    3.) connect your psp to a pc open a window to view the psp
    4.) in the window there should be an iso file copy that to your pc
    5.) place that iso in the iso folder in the root of your memory stick
    6.) in the xmb select game and memory stick the iso should be there.

part III.) conversion you may want to save space on you memory stick so you can convert any iso to a cso for that puropse also you may obtain a game in cso format that doesn't work properly in that case you would want to convert it to an iso here is an very easy to use program :

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/900

part IV.) want to stream iso files to your psp ok this part is assuming you are on 3.90m33-2 if you are on an older version most every thing is the same except you will need older versions of the programs.

1.) download and setup irshell 3.90 link: www.irshell.org
    2.) download nethostfs v1.7 link: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1294
    3.) make sure you have wirless access point set up in the xmb
    4.) open port 7513 on your router this procdure varies from router to router if you are not sure how to google search it with the model of your router
    5.) get your computers ip address (open a command window and type ipconfig)
    6.)open irshell in the 3.xx kernal and launch the config menu
    7.)change the following settings:
    umd mode: sony np9660 Noumd mode
    default cpu speed:333
    no-ms media access: enable
    redirect app view to host:enable
    nethost tp/name (ap): change to the pc ip address
    nethost port: 7513
    nethost/umd compatibility: maximum
    save settings
    8.) on your windows desktop create a folder (recommend psp)
    inside that create an iso folder copy all of your iso's and cso's there.
    9.) start nethostfs 1.7 on your pc

10.) in irshell select toggle nethost

11.)if every thing was done correctly a red icon will appear on the bottom of the screen go to directory view select"..." untill nethost: is an option select that then select the psp folder and then the iso folder select any iso and confirm with x the gameshould start

12.) if you want to stream emulators create a game folder in the psp folder on you pc put your emulator and rom folder there and then toggle nethost on psp then select toggle nethost redirection on psp then navigate to nethost:\psp\game\ and start your emulator!!!

part V.)
    iso/cos trouble shooting
    1.) if you downloaded it and it dosen't work it is probably a bad rip but if it is in cso convert it to iso and give it a shot
    2.) make sure umd driver is set to umd mode: sony np9660 Noumd mode and the default cpu speed:333

3.) reformat memory stick and recopy the iso

4.) make sure you have a magic gate supported memory stick

5.) make sure you didn't download a psx iso lol

6.) re name the file if it has a long name or lots of symbols e.g. final_fantasy_7_crisis_core_build2.iso change it to finalfantasycc.iso
    or something shorter like that

7.) if the game wasn't ripped by you it may be fake or bad posting questions about it generally wont help try ripping the game yourself or download from another site, older firmware may help or if you are using old firmware try a later one

8.) not all games work with nethostfs try putting it on the memory stick before assuming its a bad rip !!

9.) if you are having trouble loading or saving games with nethostfs toggle nethost redirection on or /off this will change where the psp saves the games and loads games if it is off all game saves are on psp mem stick is on all game saves and roms load from nethostfs

if any one has any additions,suggestions,or comments please post

add on
    guide to full reformat your psp memory card in fat
    (for both phat and slim psp) try this if your isos do not appear or you are having problems loading them.

1. Backup ALL the contents of your Memory Stick (e.g. Games, Music, Videos).
    2. Format your Memory Stick using your PSP. That would be (System Settings > Format Memory Stick).
    3. Connect your PSP to your PC using USB.
    4. Go to the Command Prompt. (Start > Run > Type "cmd" > Ok)
    5. Type the command "format x: /FS:fat" where x is the drive letter of your PSP.
    6. When you are asked about 64kb block size, just choose yes.
    7. Copy ALL the original contents back into the Memory Stick.
    8. And, you're done. You now have a faster PSP formatted into a FAT16 file system.

Added - Guide for what to do with a game downloaded in different parts with rar or r01 etc extensions - link

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. waytohigh

waytohigh Guest

nice, finally!!!!!

3. Ex_hoc

Ex_hoc Guest

Haha goo job, i've been meaning to do this. but i wont now!

4. rickem

rickem Regular member

Great job wasted!!!

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Add about the file name for troubleshooting - like if it's Final_Fantasy_VII_Crisis_Core_With_English_Menu_Patch change it to something short like Final Fantasy VII.

Maybe add the iso's & cso's both go in the iso folder - obvious yes - but hey :)

6. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

thank you binkie7 for the suggestions they have been added

7. waytohigh

waytohigh Guest

can you stream video (umd iso, or mp4) through irshell?

8. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

sorry way to high irshell dosen't play videos to stream movies you will need a ps3 or a location free player or use PiMPStreamer

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  9. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

Decided to try that nethost on wifi. Just some few questions. For the irshell, is there anything i can delete. The irshell cost quite a memory, so i was wondering, if i can delete some files to make it smaller. Thx. Also, Good work on the guide wasted. :)

10. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

yes you can delete the patch folder after you installed the patch x:\irshell\patch if you have a slim you can delete the 1.5 eboot x:\psp\game1.5\ and if it installed ir codes remove those as well

11. cybernet1

cybernet1 Member

hey wasted

nice tutorial

it easy wen u no how lol

wen u sed it will be a long way off to play iso ps1 games on a psp ya dont need to do it as an iso just use popstation gui put ur ps1 game into ur pc drive and popstation converts it to eboot file

i done all my ps1 games about 100 odd of em most of them work but some of them dont u need to download ultimate pops loadeder which has all the firmware loaders to play the ps1 games

340 popsloader firmware works on most of them im using cfw 3.71 m33-4 all works fine

just thought i wud let people no

1 question i dont no if it is possible but i have customised my xmb on psp ne one no if there is a way to put xmb onto a pc or laptop this may be a while off aswell wasted lol

12. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

1st part i have many psx games as well i stated tha in an effort to make sure any one who comes across this guidedosn't attempt to use it for psx games there is a great tutorial on this site about popsloader

2nd part if you wan to view you psp on your pc yes there is go here :

http://www.irshell.org/wikishell/index.php?title=Downloads

and download USBHostFS v1.7b (Windows)

this will only work for irshell and games ran through irshell
    on you pc:
    open and extract .rar you just downloaded
    open usbhostfs.exe leave open
    open joymap.exe leaveopen
    open remotejoy.exe leave open

on your psp: enter irshell config
    enable redirect view to usbhost
    enable redirect controlsto: usbhost

plug in usb cable
    in irshell on main screen toggle usbhost
    on pc press f4 your psp should now display on you pc readthe readme file for more info such as joysticks etc

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  13. cybernet1

cybernet1 Member

hey thanks for reply pops loader is a pain sumtimes cos u av to choose which 1 to load ya game with and sometimes it dont work lol

i no u can do that what u described i didnt mean that

what i mean was instead of having all your icons on ur pc such as my computer recycle bin and other programs that you may have

instead of the icons been in in horizontal and vertical rows is there a program out there to make ur desktop look like the xmb on a psp ie with 1 line icons horizontal and 1 vertical row of icons and u can use the arrow keys to go left and right and up and down just like using the d-pad on a psp

example @ represents icons
    @
    @
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    @
    @
    @

just a thought wondered if there is a program out there to do this as u can customise the prx for the icons on ur psp

cheers

14. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

windows media center lol closest thing really

15. bhs0432

bhs0432 Member

I know how to play ISO and CSO files but wasnt too sure why certain games, after the PSP load screen, it just goes blank and then shuts off. I am guessing that it might be a corrupt file. Or is there another possible reason?

16. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

there are lots of bad rips out there!! if you tried all of the steps above in the trouble shooting section including the full reformat and uncompressing csos then it is probably a bad rip check the size the look at a couple different sites before you download see if they match

17. bhs0432

bhs0432 Member

I have checked around and the size i have is 1.6GB and some others have been less than that.

18. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

what game? and is it iso or cso? and whats its country of origin?

19. bhs0432

bhs0432 Member

final fantasy cc ISO USA

20. wasted420

wasted420 Regular member

my working ff7cc us iso 1.49 gig jp iso 1.62 gig