Just bought a dual layer burner, will it work?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Nihilist2, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Just ordered an NEC DL DVD burner, for the occasional game that is too big to fit on a standard DVD. So, I am wondering if there is anything special that I will need to do to make the DL DVDs work on my Xbox. Or, should everything work just like normal?

Thanks.

2. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

It may work alright, I don't have any 1st hand experience with it but others have had problems at times with their xbox's reading there burned DL discs. All dvd drives by default will play DL but DL burning is relatively new and I think there are some kinks to be worked out with the drives and the software. To me it's not worth the price of the disc and the uncertainty of whether I just made an expensive coaster.

3. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

Well, DL burners and media have been around for over a year now, so I would think most of the kinks would be worked out, but I hear what you are saying. I'll still use my standard burner for the majority of my stuff, but the DL will be nice for the occassional game/movie.

I would have waited, except I got the burner for like $38 shipped, so figured it was worth a try. Media is still about $2 per disk or so, but if it works, might be worth it.

Thanks.

4. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Yah, you would think so, I'm thinking that there's just so much more of a chance that a disc will produce errors when you burn 1 layer and then refocus the laser to burn the second. With the factory discs it's actually 2 layers pressed together.

Oh yah, I totally agree, DL drives have been extremely cheap right from the beginning. My next drive will be DL and I'll give it a try also. Hopefully the discs will continue to drop in price.

5. Nihilist2

Nihilist2 Member

I plan on testing the DL out on Jade Empire here soon, I'll let you know if it worked...