just bought a sony hc46

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by jackals, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jackals

jackals Member

i am now trying to feed some video into the computer. i got it in using the supplied software, but the quality is kinda crappy. and the size is absolutely tiny. i have the quality setting set at the highest level. i also tried studio 9 but the program will not recognize the camera for some reason. is this a decent camera? what esle can i try? any help will be appreciated. thanks

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

3. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Jackals - Ive just bought a Sony HC35 , and my first footage is rubbish as well. I have used Windows Movie Maker to get it form the camera , via a USB supplied cable.
    May just be a setting (I hope). Please see my thread that is titled 'Analogue-in camcorders'

4. jackals

jackals Member

i am using a usb connection to stream in to the computer. i thought firewire would be a better choice for that. i'll pick one up today. i just transferred all of my old camcorder tapes into my laptop in the last couple weeks using studio 9. they came out pretty good. better than what i am getting now with a digital camera. there must be a way

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

As stated in the other thread: definitely use Firewire for the tranfer from a miniDV camcorder.
    I'll explain:
    Using a Firewire connection the transfer is a true digital data transfer, i.e. the bits and bytes are read from your tape and transferred exactly as the same bits and bytes to your PC and stored in a file.
    If you use USB the video is tranformed by the camera to streaming video data in VGA (the way a webcam works), usually even with a smaller frame size. It is then transferred to your PC where it is transformed to video data using the codec of your choice (if the software allows you to make a choice) before it is stored in a file.

BTW: this is all tru for miniDV camcorders, not necessarily for DVD camcorders.

6. jackals

jackals Member

bought one today and tried it out. much better. the studio 9 software was able to recognize the camera. the quality was full size and of a much better quality. thanks for the help.

7. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

I was going too fast....
    When I got home I soon realised I was trying the usb cable that came with the camera , rather than the firewire one I already had.
    Pictures are now much improved !