1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG Nano 796E sound problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wilson Martin, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Wilson Martin

Wilson Martin Newbie

I have connected the above tv to my blu ray player via optical out to take advantage of its 5.1 surround sound but when i switch the blu ray player on i immediately lose digital tv signal. i cannot for the life of me find any setting or either the tv or the blu ray player to resolve this, does anyone have any ideas?

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I think the optical out is intended for use with a soundbar and is controlled by the magic remote. I'd have to look in the manual for my LG to check that. You shouldn't need to connect the optical out to the blu-ray player to hear 5.1 if you have a sound bar with that capability. I don't know if your TV has 5.1 speakers built in.

It sounds to me like the TV is automatically detecting the blu-ray player which, without a disc being played, will result in nothing on the TV screen. It doesn't work like that with my TV and a DVD player connected. On the other hand, I've never tried to connect the optical cable to the DVD-Player.

If you use the magic remote and select device connection and then select the set top box (I assume you have cable and it's connected), and then select the TV connection (usually HDMI 1), do you get it back?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  3. Wilson Martin

Wilson Martin Newbie

I watch tv usually through my built in Live TV option , i can also watch through my satellite box(hdmi1), firestick(hdmi2) and blu ray player(hdmi3). My 5.1 surround works on all with the exception of my built in Live TV

I have no soundbar just an optical out from the tv into my blu ray player 5.1 surround sound

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I'm confused by what you get by plugging into the blu-ray player since it doesn't have any speakers. The Sound options in the TV Sound menu allows a selection to use any sound configuration.

Did you try posting here-

https://lgcommunity.us.com/