1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little eMule Tutorial - Back Online!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dela, Jan 28, 2003.

1. luvshisex

luvshisex Member

Hey dorgam,

I had this wonderful insightful reply answering all(most) of your questions just about finished and went to my favorites list to copy a web address and accidentally clicked on it and went to the site! I hit my back button but lost it. [bold]GRRR!!!!![/bold]

That's the last time I use one of these web-based boxes to reply to a forum message! I am going to start using notepad to do my messaging and copy/paste into the "box."

But right now I simply don't have time as I have to run out. I'll try to get a reply to this thread with my ideas but it could be as late as tommorow evening.

Sorry, but I am a walking example of the classic military phrase, "FUBAR." Also, "SNAFU."

Anyway, I was just going to cancel, but wanted to let you know that help is on the way. Hopefully Dela will read my eventual reply and if he(she? I dunno which no disrespect intended, I will use the gender indeterminate pronoun "es") likes what I have written perhaps es will be so kind as to edit it for wordiness and add it to es' faq.

Later and once again, sorry,
    LuvsHisEx

2. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

fubar, lol. For those of you who don't know what fubar is, fubar = F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition. Imagine my suprise when I got a notification email about this thread so I could read a post about the post that never was. I'm looking forward to the real one now!

3. luvshisex

luvshisex Member

Well, that helps. I assume as others turn off your queue shortens. Assuming this b/c when I occasionally reboot (from 100% computer usage s l o w d o w n that I get from eMule) my uploads start immediately but my d/l's take a bit... I guess I lost my place!

Sucks doesn't it? I've got a 2048/128 connection. Means I can d/l a meg every 5 seconds from a fast site but can only upload 14-16 k/sec. So when doing eMule xfers I can't keep up my ratios. So four people get 3.6 to .9 k/sec. P'raps you are one of those four and that is why your d/l's are slow?

9.2 k/sec sucks. I see that sometimes. Usually in the 20's which sucks. Occasionally I get everything right and my "currently downloading from" sources all have real connections (ie, NOT 128kbit/sec upload) and I get in the 80's. Like when I originally tried to reply to your message. In the 80's for an hour then slowly dropping over four hours or so to about 35k/sec.

Razorback2 seems to have the most files available but is probbably the busiest around. Make sure you have the latest eMule version (.42d right now. I think I liked .42(b?) better but haven't had d long enough to fully test). Make sure you have the options set to "take somewhat longer to connect to server but cut down on false low id connects" or something like that.

You've probbably figured this out by now by reading in these forums or simply pressing F1 in eMule and reading the help files (it is in the faq also I think), but in case you missed it, you _can't_ see YOUR credits. Every time you upload to a user, your credit goes up - with _that_ user. Therefore your credit for that user is stored on es computer, not yours.

Umm... Your life sucks almost as badly as mine? (JUST KIDDING!!! Besides, it couldn't be that bad!)
    Seriously, read the tuts on this board, and the faqs and help files at the main emule site again. That will put you in the frame of mind to better understand this. I have come up with a short list:

1. The people you are downloading from have crappy 128kbit/sec upload speed so you are only getting .9 - 3.6 kbit/sec from them. Lobby for REAL broadband everywhere you can like I do. Probbably won't help but I like to b**ch and it relieves stress.

2. You are only actively downloading from a few sources at the same time.

Pretty short list, huh? Ok, now to clarify things a little... Maybe...

So you (like me) want to get a certain file. Well, you might want a file that only has a few sources. Maybe one to five of them. Even if you are the only person trying to download it (and you aren't, trust me) you aren't going to get a speed faster than those sources (when it is your turn) can send it to you.

Sometimes I see a file downloading almost constantly but very slow. This is "few sources but I'm the only one downloading it" I think.

Hopefully you have enough of the file that it shows up in your shared files screen... Then you can set the priority to "Release" which is max. That will give the other sources (if they don't have the whole file and are downloading chunks of it) a better chance to get the chunks that you have from you. That raises your credit with them, giving you a better place in their queue (simplified, there are other modifiers, see the faq) which means you will be downloading the chunks you need sooner (not faster, per se, but it works out to the same thing over time).

Also hopefully(!) when you have gotten the whole file, since it only had a few sources you will keep it available for sharing and continue to be a source for it for all of the other people like you and me out there that are trying to get it.

Ok, so next you try to get a file that has many sources (it is popular). Being popular, it also has many people queued to get it. Ok, so even if the sources have good upload speed, it seems to come slowly b/c you only occasionally get to download.

IOW, sometimes I have a file that goes like a scalded dog... then waits... then goes like a bat out of hell... then waits... then goes like a Buick Grand National... then waits... I call this "downloading from lots of people; along with everyone else on the internet."

So we have covered a file that few have & few want, one that lots have & lots want. What would work best is a file that lots have & few want.

IOW, a file that has been shared for a while, but is still good enough that people keep it for sharing... Even though the biggest slice of people that want it already have it. Then you have lots of sources but little competition.

Alas, you also have not a lot to offer those sources for the file.

That is of course if you only are downloading the one file, and only sharing the one file.

Realistically you want to have a list of files that you are downloading. Then of course your speed (all that I mentioned above) tends to go up from simple numbers. You also want to share a lot to make it more likely that the persons you are d/ling from are d/ling from you. Making your credit higher than otherwise. Giving you better shot at a good spot in their queue.

You should make sure to set priorities in both the transfer screen and the shared files screen with a bit of thought.

I like to set a file on release that I really want. Giving others a better chance to "swap chunks" with me. I also like to set a file on release that I have completed but has a lot of people trying to get. I figure I'm trying to do my part here, once more people have it it will make the jam up less.

I dunno if I did or not. I had this nicely worded message I wrote in reply to this thread with information and clickable links to various other places with info and lost it. Then all hell broke lose here and it has been a while since I could even set down in front of my computer. So I realized I needed to keep my promise and reply. Not as good as I would have hoped, but there you go. Hope it helps.

One other thing: Visit many bandwidth test sites and get a feel for your up and download speeds. Then be sure to set your upload speed to 80-85% of max but no more. I noticed when I did this instead of unlimited upload speed my download speed increased. Then I realized an unlimited upload speed left no room for the handshaking that goes along with any download meaning my downloads kept waiting for acks and such, slowing them down.

L8R

4. dunnyrumy

dunnyrumy Guest

Im on the tail end of the "Little eMule Tutorial" thread.
    I got throught he IPFiltering part and adding servers but I cant find the rest of it. Could someone redirect me to the rest of "Little eMule Tutorial"? TIA!

5. Gui

Gui Member

Dela,

Ever since I installed emule I have enconuntered various problems, it's like i shut one hole and suddenly another opens.

I am not satisfied with my speeds yet. I have been using emule for a couple of weeks and have a cummulative upload of 3.6 GB. Unfortunately I have only downloads 1.23 GB in these weeks. My DJ/UL ratio is 2.92/1.

I have noticed that although i connect with a HIGH ID I still use OTHER ports to transfer data much more than the DEFAULT port:

eMule v0.42d [MorphXT v2.1] Statistics [Gui]
    Transfer
    Session UL:DL Ratio: 11.58 : 1
    Session UL:DL ratio (friends UL excluded): 11.58 : 1
    Cumulative UL:DL Ratio: 2.92 : 1
    Uploads
    Session
    Uploaded Data: 222.22 MB
    Clients
    Port
    Default: 31.89 MB (14.4%)
    Other: 190.33 MB (85.6%)
    Data Source
    Uploaded data to friend slots (Session): 0 Bytes
    Focused Uploads/Needed To Fill Bandwidth: 2
    Total number of uploads: 2
    Waiting Uploads: 106
    Upload Sessions: 1601
    Total successful upload sessions: 1246 (77.83%)
    Total failed upload sessions: 355 (22.17%)
    Average Uploaded Per Session: 183 KB
    Average upload time: 1:28 Minutes
    Total Overhead (Packets): 5.46 MB (97K)
    Cumulative
    Uploaded Data: 3.60 GB
    Upload Sessions: 15405
    Total Overhead (Packets): 417.26 MB (7.54M)

Time Statistics
    Time Since Last Reset: 13 days 23:37 Hours

Is there anything disproportionate in this data?
    Is there anything wrong that is inhibiting me to reach faster speeds or is it still a credit problem?

Thank you for time Dela.

-Gui

6. Crusherr

Crusherr Member

Hi Dela or anyone who can help me :D

I´m noob in the emule, and my downloads just come too slowly, my conection its a ADSL 128 kb/s, the ursers who is uploading the same file from me get a speed of under 8 kb/s, and my downloads keep on waiting and when they start stay in 1 kb/s, you know wath I can do for my speed increase or something.
    Thank you.

7. spideymac

spideymac Guest

[bold]Dela[/bold]:

I know double posting is a bane but I haven't a response inafew days. So, I thought I better drop the Post here also. Response or no, I won't do it again.

Gotta router? LOWID in eMule:

23 March 2004 01:55 L-Burna:

My router is a Linksys BEFSR41 and I followed Dela's tutorial guide to the letter and my eMule Internet world arrows turned to green immediately and my downloads increased from a usual 9kb - 20kb to a whopping 60kb!!. Not all that world shattering mind you but a max 3-fold increase! Depending on size of download, quite a few of them are ranged in hrs instead of days as was previous.

Dela: thanx loads man! One query though...one of my servers sent me a "warning" re: that I was using a 4662 port and that I should change to a "random" port designation because many of the users implement filtering of the 4662 port. This somehow would slow my downloads. I distinctly input the port triggering as instructed, i.e. "4660 - 4712". Where did they get the 4662 from and how do I implement the "random" ports? By the way, I re-installed per your guide just in case, and things are going pretty good. I'll wait and see if I get any more "warnings".

The older I get the better I know how to utilize my time.
    This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 23 March 2004 02:05

8. LordZuul

LordZuul Guest

Okay, I know that I am going to get flamed for taking the soft/stupid approach to using P2P, and real-geeks don't use pretty GUI interfaces, but for a set and forget approach to eMule, I downloaded and run eMulePlus - http://emuleplus.sourceforge.net/. Its pretty, it has a built in webserver (so you can check the progress of your downloads from the office) and well it works...

9. LordZuul

LordZuul Guest

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this when using eMule. I completed downloading a very popular file a while back. Now, the upload queues are completely jammed with the requests for this file... I play nice and I leave the file there for more than 72 hours... Meanwhile, my other downloads are beginning to crawl and even stall completely. Desk space was running a little tight so I decide that after the third day, I have done my fair share, and I remove the file from the share and burn it off to a CD. So I unshare the file, do the burn, when I get back, the requests for that file are of course gone from my queue, and the other files, are being downloaded for a lot more sources... Has anyone else seen this?

10. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Evening Everyone :)

eMule has been updated quite extensively since my last tutorial! I will have a newer one written soon but a lot of the problems people where are facing may be due to the fact that it has changed a bit. This new tutorial will have a new part that previous tutorials didnt, and thats a section on dealing with firewalls and router problems. Please hang on while i complete the tutorial.

I have been offline for a long time and off Afterdawn for even longer so as u can see ive missed loads of questions that were directed at me, however i should be back here more often very soon so I'll do the best I can to answer your questions.

Some of your questions may be answered using Private Messages instead of this thread to make sure u get the answer properly!

Sorry for the inconvenience

11. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

No problem to me Dela, I mean come on, how can this be an inconvience, when you're trying to help us? Lol.

Anyway, you probably know this, but the new site that probably has all the links right up to the shut down of ShareReactor is at

http://www.revconnect.com/sharereactor

12. cltcam

cltcam Member

Where is the Emule guide i cant find it? Is it in this thread if so what page?

13. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

LOL. Newbie suits your name. Dela removed it because it was far too outdated and is currently working on a new tutorial for the newest version... (aren't you Dela)

14. projem

projem Member

when can we expect it, thanks

15. Dela

Very soon, sorry guys, just there are a lot of new things and even a whole new network on it lol So its taking longer than I had thought it would!

16. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Lol I haven't even touched or bothered about the newer parts of eMule like Kad or whatever it's called...

Just waiting for the almight Dela to write us a tutorial :p

17. handscrap

handscrap Member

Thanks to Dela and thre other moderators,

I installed eMule 3 days ago after trying Kaz and 2 other P2P’s. I read much here and spent a few hours trouble shooting low ID’s, router problems, and firewalls, and a crashing Zone Alarm. Yeh, don’t try that one. Kario Personal Firewall seems stable is a less bells and whistles program, if you prefer less flashy programs, I would recommend it.

Once I got my DSL figured out and my ports right, I followed registry patches and updates through Speed Guide.net.

I had a higher ID yesterday but now its down to 1,768,345,407, not sure why, but it still seems fine. Once Emule has been going for about an hour I hover around 25kbs and have peaked at 36, depending on file availability, position, and traffic.

Dsl speed tests at this time, and it fluctuates a bit, are….download speed : 775765 bps, or 757 kbps. upload speed : 100244 bps, or 97 kbps.

eMule settings as per recommended at eMule help section and here are 64/64 down and 18/16 up with “512” in 5 sec “20”.

EMule is a great community thing and a huge resource. Let the program work and it gets faster and just come back the next day for your files.

I don’t know why others hassle the threads with their steam and have so many difficulties. Like anything else with computers and networks, you have to do the troubleshooting and know your beasts.

Thanks again to Dela and others for all the help and a great forum.

Cheers!

18. Dela

New eMule guide is almost complete, ill finish it off later, just got a little more testing to do!

The new guide will be posted on this thread but will be submitted for the Admins to add it to the main guides section. The new guide involves both networks, also easy ways to fix common problems.

The guide that goes up wont be the finished guide because of eMule being regularly updated and also the fact that there are other things id like to test too like remotely opening eMule and using other programs like XDCC Klipper for IRC to launch eMule just by recieving an email :)

19. Dela

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  20. m_j_2_3

m_j_2_3 Guest

dela,

i am new on here. i just got emule a few weeks ago. i have a 108 Mbps connection on my router and i am only getting a max of 10 kB/s downloads. can you help me with the setup so i get optimal download speeds? thanks you.