looking for good DVD player that won't overheat and skip

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by flanman, Feb 9, 2004.

1. flanman

flanman Member

Hi all,
    I currently have a Mitsubishi 6040 dvd player that I love. I have been having problems with movies starting to freeze and skip towards the end. I can take this same move, skip the end and play fine if it has not been playing the complete movie beforehand. The same movie plays fine in other players, and usually happens towards the end of the movie. I have seen posts in this forum and other that this is usually do the dvd player overheating. This is also mainly happening with burned media, not commercial DVD's. It is happening with several different branks of media, so I do not think it is a media issue. I am basically looking for a good recommendation for fair priced pro scan player that is not incurring this issue.

2. sheldontv

sheldontv Guest

HI FLANMAN,THE PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITH YOUR DVD PLAYER COULD BE DUE TO MANY THINGS....YOU COULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SMPS(SWITCH MODE POWER SUPPLY)WITHIN THE DVD PLAYER(FAULTY ELECTROLYTICS ARE COMMON)OR YOU COULD HAVE THE EARLY STAGES OF OPTICAL BLOCK FAILURE WHICH CAN CAUSE THE PROBLEM YOU DESCRIBE.
    REGARDS MIKE

3. tomreid

tomreid Member

I had the same experience! I tried different brands of blank media, not putting paper labels on, slower record speeds, etc. What actually worked was buying a cheap DVD player. I have a Pioneer and a Toshiba which have been removed from my set-up. I bought a new Panasonic but encountered the same problems. Then I bought a combo DVD/VCR from Goldstar ($90). It plays everything! My son bought an Apex ($39), same positive result! I would like to know why cheap is better.