1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

magic pro, any good?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by badoo, Dec 3, 2005.

1. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

i personally have never encountered any problems with any of the DMS line of chips, they have held up well. he just didn't like the idea of the extra wires on the DMS would be my best guess.

kc

2. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I think it was more compatibility issues with my v.4 motherboard. It would produce the occasional black screen on boot up. He put in three different DMS 4 Pro chip's and they all had the same result. I contacted him and told him that wasn't acceptable, so option B was the Matrix chip. It works great and the rest is history.

3. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

I'd still have to go with the idea it wasn't the chip but the installation. I've put DMS4's in V4s and they worked great. could be he had a wire in the wrong location and he was simply just swapping out chips rather then rechecking his installation.

kc

4. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Nah it was my motherboard. My mod guy is Davbere@teammodders.com (that's not an email address mods, don't panic) and his rep speaks for itself. He had installed several DMS 4 Pro chips in v.4 PS2's, mine was just picky. He was miffed, he spent 5 hours on my PS2, it normally takes him an hour to mod a PS2. I called him and decided to go with the Matrix Infinity. My motherboard worked fine with the Matrix chip. I don't mean to get defensive, but if you're calling into question Davbere's work, you are sorely mistaken. He is one of the most respected modders on the net. I dealt with him personally and can vouch for what type of person he is. He is a consumate pro, and to suggest otherwise is lunacy.

5. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

do you have a true version 4 or one of the 'Sony Hybrids'??

along about the time the V7's hit the market Sony dumped out allot of what i call slapped together from parts PS2s that will have V4 or V7 indications but be made from parts of various versions. i ran into quite a few of these around here and they were a real PITA to get to work with any mod and when most did work they didn't have a PS2 splash screen it was a gray box across the screen where the Playstation 2 should have been.

i don't doubt your guys quality or question his ability. i do know a few modders who are top notch but will make excuses (not saying your guy is/did) so they don't have to mod particular versions/particular chips or a mix of the two. just to add a little here, there are several of the V1-4 board locations that have alternate locations for installing each wire due to conflict problems the wire has when installed in a particular location on the board, the wires change the capacitance of the circuit and in different locations of the board, even being common connections, they cause unwanted effects.

Merry Christmas
    kc

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  6. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah I didn't mean to get defensive, I'm just not used to talking to people that know more about this stuff than I do. Quite honestly the highly technical aspescts of PS2 modding are above my head. As far as I'm concerned it's not that important, as long as it does what it's supposed to do. You obviously have more knowledge of PS2 modding than I do, and I don't doubt your expertise at all when it comes to this stuff. By the same token, Davbere is one of the best modders you will find anywhere. He isn't lazy or sheisty, the exact opposite is true in fact. He is hard working and very honest. He treated me more like a friend than a client. For that I am very grateful, and I am very loyal to those I consider my friends. I would recommend him or teammodders.com to anyone who is interested in getting their PS2 chipped or buying a premod. That's my opinion, not ordained truth. So no offense intended and Merry Xmas to you as well. I've learned a lot from this thread KC36330, Thank you.

7. KC36330

KC36330 Regular member

[bold]I've learned a lot from this thread KC36330, Thank you.
    [/bold]

your welcome, and i honestly believe that is the intent of every post we make, to learn.

kc