1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magic V Soldering

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by feedshow, Aug 28, 2004.

1. afex

afex Member

well it is definitely possible that the chip is misinstalled...did you try a PS2 backup on CD-R? you'll have to use a small game obviously, but if you can boot that then your chip is fine - if not its either the chip or laser issues....

2. feedshow

feedshow Member

actaully man I must have you driven insane over all of this and I apologize for that but also thank you for actually helping me so many times

I opened back up a few minutes ago to realize tha i seems I had a VERY bad connection for the 3.3 volt lead it came loose from the board and with further inspection I've noticed that it hauled away the little copper bit with it...which sucks

but I do remember reading somewhere that you can find a ton of the 3.3v contacts on the board and by looking have ntoiced another hole directly to the left of the one shown in this diagram (http://www.china-magic.com/magic5/diagrams/MAGIC_V5000X.jpg) and was wondering if you knew if it carried the 3.3v capacity that i need?

again thank you for all your help it is greatly appreciated

3. feedshow

feedshow Member

umm I dunno how to edit an entry on this forum and do forgive the tiredness but i mean directly to the right of the current 3.3v spot...

4. feedshow

feedshow Member

umm what would it mean if it read a ps1 disc in the browser screen as a ps2 disc? (that there is an evil spirit who's really trying to get on my bad side?:p)

5. feedshow

feedshow Member

I thin kI have come to the conclusion (after a lot of research) that it may be a bad soldering of the scex connection (when soldering it I had a bit of trouble and with my luckit actually didn;t hold or something along those lines, guess I'll try that tomorrow

I don't have a ps2 backup of anykind right now but I did burn off a cd of snes-station and it failed to read that but plays all originals of course...:S

6. afex

afex Member

if the ps1 disc shows up as a ps2 disc it means you didn't hold down the button long enough (i believe)

as for the 3.3v spot, test w/ a multimeter while the ps2 is on to find out if it carries the current

7. feedshow

feedshow Member

ah it was teh power wire..AGAIN, that's getting on my nerves, it seems for the first time i flash up the system it works but then it must heat up and let go

I was just wondering, maybe you havent actually worked on magic V's THAT much but I know it says to use 22 gauge wire. Did you use that or know of someone who used that, or posibly just double up some smaller wire like the ones you would use for all other soldering conections? (excluding the ground of course)

8. afex

afex Member

when I do chips i use 30awg for the regular hookups, and then 24 for power and gnd, and i've never had a problem.
    there is nothing wrong with doubling up the wire if you dont have any bigger gauge sitting around.

as for the heating up and letting go, the ps2 shouldn't get THAT hot....but i can't make any guarantees

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The power contact shown on DMS3 install diagrams can be used for a Magic V installation as well. I had trouble connecting to the point shown on the Magic diagrams and using the DMS3 contact for power worked fine in my case and is much easier to connect to as how there is exposed metal.

10. feedshow

feedshow Member

thanks to you both
    the machine is working fine now it was just the connection to the scex came off (the wirmust have been tugged on when I put the casing on) and well the power cable came loose twice but I used the power connection on the DMS3 and now it is fine

thanks to both of you for your help:)