1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MagicKeys for the slimline PS2

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by gr8_one, Sep 3, 2005.

1. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

Does anyone use the magic keys along with swap magic to play backed up games? What are your opinions of this tool? They seem much better than the slim tool/magic switch and easier to install. There are also magic keys 2 to use with the new silver slimline ps2.

You can check out the magic keys tool here: http://www.magickeys.net/

I would appreciate any comments you have.

2. loubat

loubat Member

Yeah I just bought a new v13 slim line ps2 a couple days ago, and went ahead and ordered a slim kit w/ swap magic set to play back ups. I got Tools A & B in with no problem, then realized that Sony has blocked the hole for Tool C.

After searching around and finding a link to www.magickeys.net, I have a question. With the magickey for tool C, would I have to insert it everytime I want to play a backup, or would it stay in the hole permanently?

3. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

Another person had the same problem as you when installing the slim tool on the new slimline PS2 version that has the hole for tool C covered. It has been discussed and solved in this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/220234

There is a guide for people who want to install the slim tool/ slim kit for the new slimline PS2 that has the hole covered where tool C is supposed to go. You can check out the guide here: http://www.console.com/product_ps2_pstwofix_silver.php

As for the magickeys 2, on the site it states that 'The MagicKeys 2 can be removed at any time' and 'The lid of your PS TWO can be opened and closed' so this would indicate to me that once you install it you can leave it in all the time or easily take it out anytime you want so the installation is not permanent just like the slim tool.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  4. fyusuf1

fyusuf1 Member

does anyone know where to get hold of thes magic keys 2 from? i'm finding difficulty

5. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

6. pretense

pretense Regular member

To me, it doesn't seem like the the Magic Key/Slimtool is much of any good for the v13. The primary usage of the slimtool, I believe, is to circumvent warranty violation by allowing for depression of the two sensor tabs without needing to open the console. The problem with the v13, of course, is the new metal cover which prevents access to the upper sensor beneath the hinge.

Now, from the first thread, I've noticed that a lot of people are being forced to open their consoles anyway. If so, what's the point? If I wanted to mod my console for Swap usage by opening it up, I would just use the easier (and free!) tape/tissue mod. And, according to the second link, you can bend back the metal cover and forcibly insert Tool C... but do most people really have the tools to do so? Can you get Tool C out once you've put it in? And even if you manage to do so, isn't tampering with the metal cover rather obvious if you ship the console to Sony for inspection?

In short, I have some severe doubts about the utility of fliptops/magic keys with the v13. While I could see the usefulness of the slimtool with the v12 if you were determined to preserve your warranty, I can't fathom the point with the v13 if you'll have to violate the warranty anyway, when the tape mod is much simpler and, well, much less expensive to install.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  7. fyusuf1

fyusuf1 Member

theres a "magic key 2" out, works on the v13 check www.magickeys.net can any please tell me where i can get these from the uk, since it costs a bomb to get them from spain.

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Try Pretense's tape and tissue mod explained here: If the fliptop doesn't work, just give up on it and do a tape and tissue mod. Open up your case again and tape the back sensor (toward the upper left and beneath the hinge part of the lid) with duct tape or even regular Scotch tape (I use several layers to be on the safe side), put the case back together, and stuff a small ball of tissue into the hole for the front sensor (lower right just above the power button).

I gave up on installing my fliptop because I ended up stripping one of the lid screws. The tape mod has served me well for over six months so far. Seems to work for him and if S&H is a concern, give it a try.

9. loubat

loubat Member

Simply removing the new piece of metal that's in the way of Tool C has done me just fine. No problems whatsoever for the past 3 months since I took it out. Then Tool C slips right in just like it's supposed to.

10. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

That's illegal. I have notified the proper authorities and they are on their way to apprehend you right now. Don't try to run or you will only add to your charges. Slot C was blocked for a reason now you will feel the wrath of Sony. Lol sorry it was post this or study for economics. Later.

11. gr8_one

gr8_one Member

12. PS2ools

PS2ools Member

Just to let everyone know there was a slight delay with my shipment of MagicKeys and they won't be dispatched to customers untill Wednesday 19/10/05.

Edit: Now available. (Tuesday)

It is definately worth the wait though ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  13. tito321

tito321 Guest

ok im going go buy a new ps2 black usa version 13,do the magic key2 work with with this version it doesnt really say awhole lot on the magic keys web site it says the keys work on white and ceramic color but nothing about the black version 13.

help needed
    soory if this i a noob question.
    thanks

14. PS2ools

PS2ools Member

MagicKeys 2 will work on the new console, but it may not be nessersary. You may be ok with a Magic Switch, or a Magic Switch Pro if you do not mind opening the console. It depends if the hole is blocked up or not.

Iain.

15. pwhale

pwhale Member

OK, I've read through a few Magic Keys threads around the interweb, and I get that there are two versions - "Magic Keys" and "Magic Keys 2".

FYI - I have a Black Slimline PS2 (V12 / SCPH-70003) and live in the UK.

I have seen very few retailers selling "Magic Keys" in the UK, only one infact, http://www.ps2stuff.co.uk whose website recommends you buy two sets from them as they are quite brittle. But they do confirm I can close the lid of my PS2 when I use them (which is why I am interested in them over the "Magic Tools" advertised on SwapMagics website).

I then saw a couple of places sold "Magic Keys 2" in the UK, although information is mixed on the V12 compatibility. The website itself says (http://www.magickeys.net/MagicKeys%202.html) :

MagicKeys 2 for all v12/v13 (Satin Silver , Ceramic White , new black one and old black one) PS TWO consoles are released !

But then in the panel it goes on to show installation for Satin Silver and Ceramic White PS TWO.

Then going to look at one of the thread poster's sites, ps2ools, they say (http://www.ps2ools.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=10) :
    This is the latest solution for the new Sony PStwo (SCPH-7000x)

But in the Which Tool? section of the website, it suggests that Magic Keys 2 is suitable only for Silver Slim PStwo ?

I understand that the old US Black Slim PS2 was SCPH-7001x, so the implication of the SCPH-7000x comment seems to be that Magic Keys 2 works for Slimline Non-US consoles, and all newer releases, going on information on http://www.modchip.com/ps2/ps2id.htm

I would great appreciate any advice on my situation !

Many Thanks,
    Ben

16. PS2ools

PS2ools Member

Hi,

On my site it does not say only for the silver one, it just doesn't recommend that tool for the others.

It will work on all versions, but there is no point paying £9.49 when a Magic Switch will do the job.

7000x implies that it will work with any console that starts 7000 - the x means that any number can take it's place.

Hope this clears things up :)

Iain.

17. pwhale

pwhale Member

Thanks for clearing that up ps2ools !

So I assume it's the case that magic swtich doesn't let you close the lid, but magic key does ? If so, then that's worth 5 extra quid of my money - I can see dust and other unplesantries entering the system otherwise and besides my housemates will wonder why the lid won't close anymore and get upset...

If you can clear that last bit up, then I think I've got an order coming your way !

Now I just need to get me a copy of Katamari, which is what started this whole investigation off...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  18. loubat

loubat Member

I think you've figured everything out, but just in case....

You need the Magic Keys 2 if you've got a PS2 that looks like the one in these pictures. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/220234
    If it's got the new metal piece where Tool C of the Slim Tools is supposed to go, Magic Keys 2 is able to bypass that problem. (regardless of what color the system is :) )

And yes, you are correct that you can still close the lid after you install the magic keys 2.

19. PS2ools

PS2ools Member

Sorry, but that's still not quite right.

You CAN close the lid with a Magic Switch, however a magic switch can not be installed in all PStwos. Some later black PStwos have the hole blocked the same as the silver one which leaves no room to fit the tool. That is why MagicKeys 2 will fit - it is thinner. MagicKeys 2 will work on all the models, but is not nessarsary for the early ones.

I'm sorry that it is so confusing. Only with the original Magic Switch (which I do not sell anymore) you cannot close the lid.

If you are still unsure, I will try and assist you further :)

Iain.

20. tito321

tito321 Guest

thanks to everyone for there help i placed my order for magic keys2 on pstools website today.