making music

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by gruel, Mar 2, 2004.

1. gruel

gruel Member

hi

i play guitar and want to turn my pc into a recording studio, can anyone tell me what kind of hardware and software i might need plz.

thanks

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

nuendo is some great software. have you ever heard of bill Lonero? He is a kick ass instrumental guitarist. you can check him out at www.lonero.net - he has a guitar forum on there to, and he's actually a great guy. if you email him, he'll answer you. He just put out a cd recently with Stu Hamm nd Gigi Conway (both great in their own right). Dela (another mod here) are in the liner notes of that cd and will be in the liner notes of the one he's doing next month. I bet if you go to his forum and ask about it, he'll help you get going.

3. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

darthnip is right its a good band- ive seen the site

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Since you said you played guitar I will assume you want to record analog. First you will need a decent sound card that supports ASIO 2.0 - Audio Stream Input/Output. It's a standard for recording analog with very low latency. Probably the cheapest would be a Terratec 6Fire DMX. M Audio also makes some and there are higher end cards going up to $1000. Creative Audigy 2 ZS Pro supports it too, but I can't really recommend that for anything other than basic audio recording, however the other cards are not dual purpose like the audigy, with game features like EAX 3 or 4.

For software, it depends on what you want to do. Myself I like Cubase, a friend likes Tascam Gigastudio and another likes Sonar. It depends on what you get used to. I had been using Steinberg products since the Atari ST days so Cubase is what I am used to.