1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrix Infinity 1.99 vs ModBo 4.0 vs ? = No Brainer? ModChip comparison

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Spixe, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Spixe

Spixe Member

Quick question for you mod pros...

I lost my poor swapmagic dvd which I've been using for 3 years now (great thing), and instead of getting a whole set again, I'm thinking about opting for a $10-20 modchip instead. It'd be nice to play off the HDD without using a HDAdvance disk. I narrowed the cheaper choices down to the ModBo 4.0 for $20, and the Matrix Infinity 1.99 for $11.

Can any experienced users give me their opinion on which is the better buy? I mainly use ONLY backed up DVD5 and DVD9's (sadly swapmagic couldn't handle D9's), and if possible, I'd like to be able to play games off the HDD without using HDAdvance. My PS2 is v9. Thanks for any pointers

2. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I would go with the Matrix Infinity, seeing they are back in business with new firmware now.

The modbo are clone of the Matrix.

3. Spixe

Spixe Member

Sweet, thanx, ur the 2nd to say they recommend the infinity, so i'll grab it. i don't suppose you know if it supports playing off a HDD?

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

I don't know much about the 1.99 but the 1.93 supported it, so am sure the latest firmware does.

You will be able to use Dev modes, meaning you can launch ELF files from memory card or hdd.

Here is a tutorial for running infinity manager on the Matrix 1.93
    http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=matrix/matrix_tut.html

5. Spixe

Spixe Member

Sweetness, thanx a ton for this info, just what i was looking for, much obliged!

6. nhc125

nhc125 Member

Hi,

Just to add on if you haven't decided, I have installed Matrix v 1.99 (Clone) and everything works fine!

I can play all types of games, dual layer, original, backup.

Its cheap but I am not sure about the HDD function though.

Regards,

7. Spixe

Spixe Member

Sweet, thanks mate.

Did you install it yourself? I've been searching forever on the internet and can't find any installation instructions for the Matrix 1.99. I found it for others, 1.93 etc, but not for this model and not with my version of PS2. How'd you figure it out?

8. nhc125

nhc125 Member

Hi,

Mine is a version 12 slim PS2, so I just googled on the internet for the installation diagrams.

You have to know what version and model is your PS2. For eg, Mine is model SCPH 70006, after googling on the internet, I know that it is a v12.

9. nhc125

nhc125 Member

One more thing, I read somewhere that v12 and v13 PS2 requires the laserfix.

Mine had it too. It just cost $2.

Regards,

10. Spixe

Spixe Member

Yep, your correct all the way, the problem is mines v9 SCPH 50001, and as far as my half a day of googling went, i found nothing for this chip and that version, since slimline and v9 mobo is pretty different as far as I can tell. If no one comes up with anything then I'll post this Q on the main forum.

11. nhc125

nhc125 Member

12. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

13. Spixe

Spixe Member

I was ready to kiss you guys, but alas, as my horrible luck would have it, both those sites do not offer my particular modchip with my particular version #. The matrix infinity 1.99 I have looks like this... http://brisbane-mods-brisbane-modchip-brisbane-australia.com/images/modchips/Matrix-infinity.jpg

And on both those sites, the modchip diagram, though for v9, uses an older model matrix infinity 1.93 which looks similiar but varies slightly (more connectors), or the chip looks entirely different all together. So... still nothing... thanks anyways though, really appreciate your help.

14. nhc125

nhc125 Member

It doesn't matter if the chips look different. The pins and wires are still the same most of the time.

15. Spixe

Spixe Member

I wish, but not for matrix 1.99, there are several pins that are missing from it that the others have. Should i just ignore the pins and expect it to work? Seems risky.

16. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

The link I gave you has the same picture as what you posted. The one you posted is just a gold color, but same.

It is for the matrix 1.99 - take a look at both pictures and compare.

17. Spixe

Spixe Member

Hrm, well that's what I thought. The one there IS the picture of the 1.99 I have exactly, but when I download the "installation manual V9-V19" rar, the pictures and diagrams within that rar are different.

10 of the 11 jpgs are for the 7XXXX or 9000X.

The 11th jpg is indeed for the 5X00X, but the Infinity Matrix 1.99 and the chip in the diagram is different. It looks SIMILAR, but the 1.99 I have (the one in the picture on the website, NOT in the diagram) doesn't have the F or CV connections.

So since its missing 2 connecions, are you saying just ignore those 2 and follow the diagram and it'll still work? Have you or anyone else actually done this and can confirm it works?

Muchos thanks for the feedback

18. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

19. Spixe

Spixe Member

Ah wow, if someone (preferably the seller!) would have told me the setup is the same as the Mod 745 in the first place this would have saved me a lot of time ;)

Hrm, one little hitch up.

I found the "Modbo 760 Install Diagrams - PS2 Version 9 SCPH-50002" on the site you gave me. Though the 745 chip in itself has the same connectors, the diagram shows a couple points the chip doesn't have. SCEX and RST, and B, G, I, and H has two different connectors on the mobo! How can you hook up one point on the modchip to two points on the mobo? Confusing...

(as always, thanks for the help)

20. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well hopefully it helps

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009