1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matrix infinity pstwo

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by insanecon, Jan 8, 2005.

1. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

well the instructions on the modbo website are directly taken from the matrix infinity one:

http://www.modbo.com/

man they copied everything from it, even installation pictures, images of tools, and at one point they accidentally call the modchip an Infinity.

to those of you having problems with the chip i suggest getting a real matrix infinity, the stability of the Modbo seems questionable. the original is not too expensive, and it should work without any problems at all as long as you install it correctly.

2. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

true for the most part it is the same instructions, except for the fact they do not list anything about config options on the chip.

http://www.modbo.com/faq.htm

3. darkness9

darkness9 Member

Did anyone try to upgrade their modbo chip using the updates from Matrix Infinity?

4. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

damn I guess it does say that it has 512k flash memory.

it doesnt say anything about flash memory here

http://www.modbo.com/home.htm

but here it does on this page for the specs

http://www.modbo.com/product.htm

I think the one that doesnt list the flash memory as the main specs should be the one you go by, the other looks like a complete direct copy of the infinity page - and why in the heck dont they list it on the other page :/

specs/features on modbo:

http://www.modbo.com/product.htm

specs/features on matrix homebrew:

http://www.infinitymod.com/cgi-bin/matrix/site.pl?page=chip_infinityhb

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  5. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

are they even allowed to do that? to just copy and paste text, and even images directly from the matrix infinity website while taking credit of them? if you look at the ps2 laser fix page http://www.modbo.com/solution.htm , the images are exactly the same as the ones from the matrix website, but they took out the matrix logo and put their logo on it, as if they had anything to do with the development of the laser fix.

6. _javi_

_javi_ Member

I had the same problems.
    I had 2 PS TWO working ok with a MODBO v1.1 modchip, until i entered the Matrix Inf. configuration menu.
    I only changed 1 setting, then the modchip stopped working.
    The other one stopped working after a 1.39 upgrade.

Stay away from MODBO chips, or use them only as directed. Dont enter config menu or try any fw upgrade.

7. SMyers

SMyers Member

I have one of these junk Modbo modchips in my PS2.

Now that I know they are junk clones, I ordered up a real Matrix from one of the offical sites listed on Matrix's web page.

My understanding is the real one will use the same wires as this P.O.S. clone, so I'd like to leave the wires intact and swap them when I get the real-deal.

Is there just one or two wires I can disconnect to disable the thing and, if so, which ones?

I already tried +3.3 and GND, but it still don't work..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  8. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

you should disconnect all of the wires, i wouldn't risk leaving the other wires intact, especially with a cheap matrix clone.. it could damage your ps2 because leaving only some of the wires intact is not what it was designed for, and could cause some instability.

9. raywong

raywong Member

Hi,
    I've just recently purchased a slim PSTWO & been trying to figure out what MOD chip it used since it was pre-modded. I did notice that whenever I boot up any games, I get the PlayStation 2 with the Infinity v1.38 at the bottom. Is it safe to assume that this is the original as I would prefer not to open up the unit. Also, out of curiousity, is this any better than the DMS chip?

BTW, after reading this thread, I 'learnt' about the config page of which I'm able to get into without any problem. Also, I did notice that the progressive scan on the DVD player is disabled & I'm aware that the v1.39 fixes this. I do intend to flash this but I wanted to be sure it's indeed the infinity chip & that I'm not going to mess things up!

Looking forward to hear any view on this, thanks!

10. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

I would assume that you have the modbo if when you received the unit pre-modified and it says v1.38; the official blue dot chips by the matrix team are v1.36.

Before you change anything in the config menu or update the flash I would recommend just opening up the unit and seeing for yourself ;-) If infact you do have a modbo and it messes up your pstwo you will wish you had taken a look.

11. darkness9

darkness9 Member

Some of the pre-modded sets will void ur warranty with ur modder if you open up the set (they will have a sticker to check if it had been opened or not). SO you are best to check with the person that you bought ur set from.

12. raywong

raywong Member

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Admitedly, feeling a bit dissapointed that it's potentially a fake. However, I did try to ask my vendor but unfortunately he just gets it from his supplier & not exactly sure what chip it is. On top of which, darkness 9 is right in that there are sticker all over that might void the warranty.

I do want to get the progressive scan thingy to work but updating the flash but now I'm not sure. Does anyone know if there is any other way to check if it's the real stuff without opening the unit up?

13. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

Since I chip my own units I don't worry about warranties;

if you really want to get the progressive scan mode on the dvd player working and you are worried about keeping the premod vendor's warranty* in tact go ahead and try flashing the chip. If it works great, if it does not hey you still have the warranty (heh)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  14. raywong

raywong Member

Gorec9897,
    Great minds think a like..... ;-)

Well.. u know what they always say, ignorance is bliss... ;-)

I'll probably try to do the flash & hopefully it'll work... & in fact, by doing so, I'll be able to find out if indeed it's the 'original stuff'.. ;-)

Thanks for the advice.

15. raywong

raywong Member

I just did the upgrade & it looks like it worked ok initially, in that, when I booted up a game, it actually showed the Infinity v1.39. DVDs worked & as stated for the 1.39, it did give the progressive scan feature (although I still couldn't turn it on - not sure why). Anyway, after testing the DVDs, then horrors of horrowrs, none of the games can boot up & the systems looks very much like those that were reported at the start of this thread.

Gorec, I guess u were right after all, I should have opened it up to look although that would void the 'warranty'. Nevertheless, the worst case is take it back & give them a piece of my mind.

I'm still curious though, would the flash have worked if it was indeed a modbo? I can still get into the setup screen (Triangle + Circle) & the functions are all exactly as stated for the infinity.

BTW, DVD movies still work although oddly, some of them says it doesn't work for the region & I'm guessing that since my unit is Japan based, somehow the region code is in effect.

I guess, I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea if based on the circumstances I've stated above, what's the chance that this is indeed an infinity?

Whatever the case is, it looks like I'm screwed, nothing wants to boot up, original or backup.

Would appreciate any views on this, thanks

16. darkness9

darkness9 Member

As what was mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems that modbo only has problems once you enter the configuration screen and make some changes.

It seems that modbo *does* support the flashing to 1.39 (you did mentioned that it works after you flashed it, both with games and DVD). I assume that things starts to go awry after you make some changes to the config (to enable progressive scan).

So it seems that the bottom line is that flash upgrade works, as long as no config changes are made!

In your case, I suggest you simply bring it back to your supplier and said that it stopped working altogether and you are not sure why. If he asked abt the 1.39 on the bootup screen, you can probably say that you lent ur set to a fren or something and it was returned in this state??? ;-)

17. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

modbo isnt the only matrix clone eather, you might have a matrix infinity SE chip; the modbo however does have flash problems too if you read the post by _javi_ ;-)

[bold]The Real Matrix Infinity = Offical:[/bold]

[​IMG]

[bold]Matrix Infinity SE = Clone:[/bold]

[​IMG]

[bold]Modbo (matrix infinity/homebrew) = Clone:[/bold]

[​IMG]

edit for page loading porposes, also a little more insight ;)

18. themiksta

themiksta Member

i flashed my modbo with the infinity v1.39 and now it wont boot any backups, i can still boot originals and access the infinity config menu. Is there any way of restoring this chip to it's original form so it actually works ?, it wont even boot the infinity upgrade disc now.

19. gameover

gameover Guest

I also had the same problems at the start of this thread. Opened up my ps2 and found i had the matrix infinity se clone chip. Does anyone know if theres anything i can do with it to get it running backups again.

Thanks folks!

20. gameover

gameover Guest

Just saw this

http://www.70kchip.com/Ps2chips/matrix infinity se.Htm

" when you save the seting for the chip, after you press circle and triangle the chips be damaged( because the chip can not be upgrade firmware into v1.39,orgiginal matrix v1.38 also has the problem). "