1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matrix infinity pstwo

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by insanecon, Jan 8, 2005.

1. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

Really the only thing you can try to do is re-flash the chip with the v1.38 and see if that works. I suppose you might want to also try holding down the reset button until the blue eject light turns on and see if that works; if you have a slim v12 unit just hold the reset button for 3 seconds.

http://www.infinitymod.com/cgi-bin/matrix/site.pl?page=infinity_software

The architecture on these clone chips are different then the official matrix infinity so the code written by the official matrix team isn’t necessarily designed for or will work with these clone chips. For all we know the clone chips are missing batchs of epproms!

I have an official matrix infinity chip (yellow dot) & I upgraded from my previous upgrade of v1.38 to the v1.39 and it works perfectly :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  2. themiksta

themiksta Member

i tried flashing it with the 1.36 bios but it wont read any backups now so it wont load the upgrade disc, if i try the force upgrade (hold power button for 3 secs) i just get a black screen.

3. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

can you still enter the infinity manager on the memory card?

4. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

Well if you can still enter the infinity manager on the memory card, once you enter the infinity manager hit the triangle again and it should bring you back to a menu that lists the flash update; insert the v1.38 flash update disc (since the modbo seems to be shipped with this version pre-installed) & click on the update in the menu item. see if that works, you might have to press triangle twice if you have applications installed on the memory card.

5. themiksta

themiksta Member

i don't think i can enter memory card manager, i didn't install it originally and i'm not sure how to install it.
    i tries what infinity recommends
    LAUNCHING MEMORY CARD APPLICATIONS:
    - Press TRIANGLE on joypad 1.
    - If installed, the Infinity Manager will appear and show a list of installed applications.
    -or-
    - Press R1 on joypad 1.
    - If installed, the default boot application (mc0:BOOT/BOOT.ELF) will be launched.

if i press either triange or L1 on boot up it goes to a black screen. I do have an xport (transfer game saves from pc to memory card) can i somehow transfer memorycard manager and the 1.38 bios onto mem card and select flash from memory card ??

It won't read any burnt discs after the 1.39 flash, i think it's corrupted the memory, so ithink the only way is if i can get the 1.38 bios onto memory card and slect to flash from mem card. The only indication the the chip still works is that i can enter the infinty config menu but thats it. If this was an aladdin in an xbox i would swap it into another xbox (while it's runnign) and do a hot flash.

6. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

Ok, no problem. What are the settings in your config menu: If it is unchanged from the default you had when you got it, I would change the setting accordingly in hopes of bypassing code the modbo doesn’t support or got corrupt in the update process of v1.39.

PS Screen Fix: Color or off
    PSX Screen Fix: On or off
    MC16 Patch: On or off
    ATAD Auto Patch:Off
    Macrovision Fix: Off
    Green Fix: Off
    Boot Mode: Fast or auto or dvdv (hit cross when you boot ps2 game or ps1 game see if that does anything)
    Pad Detect Time: 10
    Default Language: English

Since you can still enter the config menu that means the chip is still patching code into the mainboard of the ps2.

Here is a list of other commands you can use when booting the disc. Try different combos along with different settings in the config menu.

http://www.infinitymod.com/cgi-bin/matrix/site.pl?page=infinity_instruction

7. themiksta

themiksta Member

still no good, i changed all those settings and tried all the differet boot modes and all the infinity button combos, most will lock up the ps2 and i get a black screen, sometimes i get this on initial boot up aswell,the rest of the time i get the red screen of death (please insert ps2 game)when trying to boot either the inifnty upgrade or a dvdr. I have a swapdisc crystal case for it (holds down the 2 micro switches, can i do a swap disc method, although i dont actually have a swap disc ??.

8. themiksta

themiksta Member

it's so frustrating becuase i installed it using the official modbo pal instructions and it booted multi region dvds and loaded the config menu but wouldn't boot dvdr games, so i thought it must have a homebrew bios so i flashed it with the 1.39 and it screwed it, i then read on a reseller webpage that the insructions are incorrect for pal and you do need to use the H wire (the instructions say not to use it on PAL ps2's) so basically it's modbo's fault ithink even infinity says not to use the H wire for PAL ps2's. If i had of used the H wire to start with everthing would have been fine.

9. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

The "manager.elf" file is what you need to copy to the memory card. The elf file is in the Bin for the v1.36 flash & also in the image for the v1.21. I'm thinking if it won't boot the disc you can use the elf code in the memory card to find the correct data on the disc and then proceed to update/flash the bios. After you install the elf file to the memory card hold the triangle on boot and then when/if the manager loads hit the triangle button again to get to a bios flash option.

10. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

other then that I am all out of ideas, besides removing the chip & replacing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  11. themiksta

themiksta Member

xport will only let me transfer xport files and not .elf files. i have an older chipped ps2 can i somehow transfer the memmanager.elf from disc to memory card in it (it has the magic 3.1 chip) ?? and then put the mem card in the v12 ?

12. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

If you can get the matrix disc (qualifies as homebrew disc) to boot on your ps2/magicmod, install the manager software to an official ps2 memory card. When you hold the triangle on boot with the matrix chip it signals the chip/ps2 to look in the memory card slots for the card & the specific matrix code. It doesn’t have anything to do with the unit unless the unit doesn’t have a matrix (or clones) chip installed otherwise the ps2 will ignore the triangle boot command. After installing to the memory card insert the same memory card into slot 1 in the ps2/modbo unit; you might be in luck give it a try, don't do anything else on the ps2/magicmod system only install the manager to the memory card so you then have the manager on the card.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  13. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

14. themiksta

themiksta Member

i tried that but apon holding down triangle on startup it freezes at a black screen. thanks for your help gorec9897 but i give up, i will order another chip.

15. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

when you tried to do it, did you have a memory card with the infinity manager on it first. Also did you try another exploit app to boot the elf(you need to hold down r1 for that after you have a memory card inserted with the app).

np, thats the best thing to do is replace the chip ;-)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  16. studizzle

studizzle Member

Hey guys, i just installed a matrix infinty in my v4 ps2.
    After installing i then upgraded to v139. Ive gotten it to play 4 burnt "backups" :D after the upgrade but now everytime i turn it on it gives a blank screen. The only way to get the ps2 running is to hold down the power button till the eject light turns on, when i do that i cant access the infinity menu to make any changes. It boots originals fine and also recognises backups but when i try to play them the screen goes blank at boot.
    What could cause this? Is it possible i did poor soldering and a wire got loose? Also i dont know if it matters but the ps2 was on for over an hour at the bios screen with no game loaded.

*EDIT*
    I fixed the problem, was loose power wire. Guess i shoulda checked before posting huh?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  17. deadbody

deadbody Member

Hi,

Mine V12 ps2 chipped with Matrix infinity 1.39+ somme0ne+ pic fix. It played fine first one month but now It can read only CDs or CD based games. Than I remove the PIc fix left it with the main chip + Somme0ne Fix still no luck. When I try any DVD movie, game or DVDr it goes to black screen. A guy from another forum just told me My lens lost its dvd reading capability. So I guess I gotta buy another lens for it. Still its kinda wired that it can still play CD based game but no DVDs (My lense looks very good...... no dust or malted).. I did Disable it once so far I remember but after resseting it should turned on automaticly right. My chip is original matrix no doubt about it. So please give me some light here guys,,, what could go wrong after a month of installation and how come it cant read any DVDs anymore?

18. studizzle

studizzle Member

I recently emailed the matrix team about my chip not booting, this was not the problem in my case but it is possible that ur lense is damaged. This is their reply:

Hi Stu,

yes, according your description of the problem what they told you looks
    correct, the DVD part of the laser is probably damaged, while the CD section
    is still working.

It is normal that the DVD laser gets deteriorated over time.
    The lower the quality of the DVD used for the back-ups, the faster the
    deterioration of the laser head.

Best Regards,
    The Matrix Team
    Luke.

Have u tried disabling the chip and then testing the console with an original? If that didnt work try holding down the power button untill the eject light comes on then boot with an original and c if that works.

19. deadbody

deadbody Member

thanks for reply studizzle.. I tried the way u said still no use. I notice one thing though.. when I try the fast boot method by holding select it goes to configuration menu the same as TRIANGLE + CIRCLE. Does that mean anything could be wrong?

Anyway I am gona try it again tomorrow with a new laser I hope that gona fix it. thanks again

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  20. wsssup

wsssup Member

I just had my ps2 slimline chipped with what i thought was the Orig matrix infinity chip. It turns out i have the Infinity se clone chip, and it lasted 20 minutes. Funny thing is i never tried a back up game, it all happened whilst playing gt4 then my screen went pixelated so i turned off my p2.

Now everytime i turn it on it just goes to a black screen, i get nothing at all.

So my question is can i just rip the mod chip out, or do i take it back and get them to take it out.

Cheers guys.