1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell DVD-R Japan vs Taiwan Truth

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Sentagram, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

Well I Just finished scaning a Maxell DVD-R Made in Japan Disc and found out the truth about the talk of the ones made in Japan vs Taiwan. What they say is that the ones Made in Japan are the real ones and the ones made in Taiwan are fake what I Mean is that the ones made in Japan are genuine made by Maxell and Fake meaning made by another Company. Well are you ready for the Truth here it is... The ones made in Taiwan have the Following Media ID RITEKG05 and the manufacturer is Ritek Now the truth must be told. What I found out was that the ones Made in Japan have the Following Media ID MXL RG03 and are made by Maxell well there it is Can you believe it I could not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. Well all I have to say now is Keep your eyes open for those ones made in Japan they are the real deal and as for the Ones made in Taiwan Well they are OK too and are Ritek which are second class media that have an 80% to 95% success rate or you could Just get Taiyo Yuden Made in Japan Discs which are 1st Class Media.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

First of all you need to check around the forums to see what is considered good media. Ritek usually ranks better than Maxell's generic (Made in Japan). Both are decent though. Fake is the wrong word to use as well. Generic signifies the "house" product. Many DVD brands sell products made by other companies. Sony has Taiyo Yuden media as well as the Sony made in Taiwan. In that case, by your reasoning, the MIJ TY media is the "fake" because it isn't made by Sony. If it held true that made in Taiwan is indicative of a "fake", then the Sony company manufactured media is a "fake". That's definitely not the case. There are some good DVD manufacturers in Taiwan, such as Ricoh, Ritek, and Sony to name just a few. Both Ricoh and Ritek sell their product under their name (generic) as well as manufacturing media to be sold by other brands (several of the leading brands included).

So, made in Taiwan doesn't mean "fake" and MIJ doesn't always signify you're getting the best (though MIJ usually means you're not getting crap). You need to reevaluate your findings on this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2006
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum.

I can't comment on Maxell as have never used them, and as to Ritek have used exactly 50 G05 Printables (with 100% success)

4. A_T

A_T Member

Maxell Made in Japan are much better discs than Ritek.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

You can't prove that by the many pleased Ritek users here on this forum. Sony, TY, and Mitsubishi have Maxell beat as well. The Sony-TY media is the same as the TY generic. The Sony-Sony made in Taiwan has produced a 0% coaster rate for me and plays excellent. What more could I ask and I can't personally say the TY is the better of the 2. Both are excellent. Mitsubishi, if you're familiar with who they manufacture for, is also one of the best, rating easily above Maxell.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  6. A_T

A_T Member

Don't take my word for it. Check out quality scans at cdfreaks and you'll see which is better. I recently had some RITEKG05 discs from Maxell when I was expecting MXL RG03 - they went straight back I can tell you...

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Supply a link when you want to use outside info as a reference. Scans are only part of a story and can sometimes lead to unsound assumptions about media. Often self professed experts don't use scientific techniques in setting up their little experiments; like make sure their sample is representative of the overall product of an individual manufacturer. Last I checked, most of those folks at CDFreaks put their pants on the same way I do, unless they're female. LOL So, I take a bunch of forum findings with a bit of skepticism, unless shown to be from a truly reputable source. I see CDFreaks as being no more reputable than AD. In fact I've seen comparisons on both forums where it was obvious the author had problems understanding the brand-manufacturer relationships and that some different brands can actually be the same media from one manufacturer.

Looking around other forums I've noticed both Ritek and Maxell as being considered decent media, but not the best like brands manufactured by TY and Mitsubishi. I even prefer Ricoh over the Maxell and Ritek. Funny thing, Ricoh actually manufactured +R media for both. In the case of Ritek, that was in the Ritek-RiData line.

8. ashj

ashj Regular member

All we can go on and be sure of is our own experiences where media is concerned.

I've used hundreds of Maxell DVD-R Ritek G05 (non printables), no coasters and no deterioration in quality scans with nero. *after batch test 1 and half year on, for some of them*

They generally scan at between 95 and 99 for me on my Benq 1640.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  9. brobear

brobear Guest

I have a rather sizable media library. With that I have a few hundred DVD backups. Of those the majority are on Ricoh and TY DVD +R media from various brands. There is a decent count of Mitsubishi included along with a hundred or so of the Taiwanese Sony. These four manufacturers' media have given me excellent results. I've tried other media, but those are my favorites. Only a small number of CMC got into the mix. So far the recorded CMC show no problems. CMC was problematic to record and I got what I consider too many coasters. I don't trust the quality of CMC.

I don't know as how I'd go that far. To a degree I try to evaluate info from the forums and associates, and incorporate it into my decision making. That's one of the reasons I'm using a lot of Sony DVD +Rs nowadays. By the way, a friend of mine uses Ritek almost exclusively and he's enjoyed good results. So, I realize it is good media, whether sold under the generic name or one of the several brands that sell the media.

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i completely agree with brobear in this case regarding maxell japan vs taiwan "truth"...your comparison sentagram is, i'm sorry to say, very much deluded...perhaps your "wording" on FAKE and REAL could have been more clearly defined, but there is absolutely NO TRUTH in that the Ritek made Maxells are "fake" in ANY sense of the word...

i happen to be very pleased with MY OWN RitekG05s as well, they are NOT under the Maxell label/brand, but rather Ritek Ridatas, as brobear elluded to earlier...their "house brand"...nothing "fake" about them at all~ :)

anyways, i'm not here to argue or bash on you sentagram, i just feel brobear made a VERY valid point as to what you consider "fake" and "real"...and you have NOTHING to back up this so called "truth"/revelation that you have discovered...

my 2 cents.

docTY~

11. A_T

A_T Member

Sentagram made it quite clear waht he meant by "FAKE" and genuine.

Maxell sell their own Hitachi Maxell discs as well as ones made by Ritek. It's clear Sentagram knows this.

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i'm not disputing the FACT that sentagram knows this based on HIS definitition of "real" and "fake"...i was simply pointing out the fact that based on sentagram's "definition"...brobear pointed out this:

all i'm reiterating is that the use of the word "fake," as defined by sentagram, is NOT indicative of the media being "fake" in any way...there is absolutely NO truth to the MIT being "fake" while the MIJ Hitachi's being "real"...it was a simple clarification, that is all...

docTY~

13. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Nicely put @ brobear and kivory666.... 'nuff said...

14. A_T

A_T Member

A clarification that Sentagram made in his original post.

15. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

I see I have a few responses in this thread trying to start an argument over the Fake and not fake dilema. Let me start by defining more by what I meant by Fake and Real, Real means to me that The Brand on the Disk matches the Manufacturer and that is important to me because when I buy Media I want it to be The Manufactur of the Brand as to be sure that when I buy Maxell I get Maxell and not Ritek, If I wanted Ritek then I would Buy them. Now I will likely start Buying Taiyo Yuden because there is a lot of good word from others about there Quality and that they also make there own Discs.
    The Reason I bought Maxell Over the Others was because of Research first of all and Second because of Cost and third of all I like my Discs branded last of all I wanted to personally see if there was truth behind what I read on the Internet and now I know that there is truth in it. Now something that I would like to share is that 5 days ago I stumbled upon a thread on this site talking about media and then set out to do extensive research on the whole thing and found out on the link to the DigitalFaq web site provided by the User (alkohol)that MAXELL DVD-R Made in Japan are the Top top Quality DVD Media that people can Get now because PVC by Pioneer are no nonger made and that ends this entry.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

teflonmyk
    Thank you. The use of "fake" was outstanding in the post. Irregardless of the contrived usage, the definition and connotations of the word still have a negative impact. One just need look to a dictionary. Don't believe me, just take a look. http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/fake.html

Add to that the misleading info on Ritek in relation to the generic Maxell and you have an erroneous post. I wasn't slamming Sentagram, but I was sure disputing the content of his post and the manner in which he wrote it. Also, he was adding nothing new. Many of the forum members have been checking production codes and are aware of generic products and those manufactured by different companies for sale by brands owned by other companies. A short tour of the media forum would have shown the situation. To top it off this thread was even started in the wrong section. It was in the newbie section where members are less knowledgable of the overall situation with media sales. Sometimes erroneous info is actually taken as truth. We can thank Creaky for putting this thread in the right place.

17. gracie17

gracie17 Member

Brobear, if you look around the forums you will exactly the opposite to what you have said. Sorry. Maxell MIJ is FAR higher quality than Ritek G05.
    If you go to Video help and look up the two you will see.
    Here is Maxell MIJ 8x discs:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=2424#comments
    Here is Maxell MIT (G05) 8x discs:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=3043#comments
    If you also search the forums you will see people now comenting that the G05's are becoming unreadable after a few months. They have been likened to Princo in this regard.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=158296&highlight=ritek+g05
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=145871&highlight=ritek+g05
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=141710&highlight=ritek+g05

Ok, now you have the links and scans as well for rubbish G05's, please show me all the forum links that show a continual issue with Maxell discs proper, not the G05's they use.
    So in short, Maxell made in Japan discs, MXL coded, are far superior to Ritek G05.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

gracie
    So you say. We have actual users of the media to contradict your statement here on the forum. Happy users of the Ritek media. One of those being one of our moderators who has been around media for a while now. Here is the link for the comparison's made by DigitalFaq. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm The so called knowledgable site has a hodgepodge of mixed brands and manufacturers guaranteed to confuse the novice. A bit of cross referencing with a decent database, even if not totally up to date shows the holes in those comparisons. They're actually at times saying a brand that sells a certain product made by a manufacturer is inferior just because of the brand on it. Sometimes they differentiate between generic and outside manufacturers and sometimes they don't. Try this database, it's not up to date on everything, but it gives a good picture of the manufacturer-brand situation. http://www.mediamatch.de/medien.php Once you get a good picture of who has been making what for whom, you will laugh at some of those so called expert comparisons.

19. ashj

ashj Regular member

This is why I said earlier that you should largely go with your own experiences.

Sure you can gain insight through others eperience with media, but each persons set up and methods vary quite a lot.

Maxell Ritek G05 is the most successful disc I've used and still scan the same as they were burned (1 and half year later, hundred's of them.

and they play in all dvd players I've tried them on, friends and family.

I certainly use a lot of different media (verbatim adv azo DVD+R 16x, Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R, Verbatim x8 DVD-R taiyo yuden dye) but let me say Maxell Ritek G05 is right up there and as I said thats one and a half years later no sign of any deterioration.

Only problems I've had with Ritek G05 is Riteks own x8 DVD-R Printables.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  20. brobear

brobear Guest

Which just goes to show that even with fans of a product we can see different views. AD has just as intelligent and informed members as other forums. I would as soon take the word of forum members here as those of other forums. Look around and you'll always find someone with a different point of view and different sets of proof. This little thread does add credence for some that they need to rely on their own experience. I've been around for a while and I can spot some of the malarkey. Newbies aren't quite so lucky. My advice for them is to use name branded media and when possible made by Japanese manufacturers. It just hedges the bets for them. As they get more knowledgable, they can then sift the info and make better informed decisions.

Another of those forum comparisons has Ricoh as second rate media. I have a few hundred backups using it to disprove that statement. The brands range from Verbatim to Fuji. Sony (Japan) is Taiyo Yuden and Sony (Taiwan) carries the Sony code. Those experts just say Sony. Though both are good and I have them both in use. And it just goes on and the more one gets into it the more the opinions vary and the info gets clouded.