1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell DVD-R Japan vs Taiwan Truth

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Sentagram, Jan 14, 2006.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

gracie17
    Most of us are aware there are instances where real "fakes" have been sold to the public. There's been "fake" Taiyo Yudens, "fake" Riteks and other forgeries I've read of. That is true forgery. Sort of old news and not what was being discussed. As for buying something that is advertised as one thing and turning out to be another, that's fraud. Your example of buying the advertised accucore and not getting it is just that. Any decent company would refund the money and you have legal alternatives and avenues of redress. Get the refund and don't do business with a company if you don't like the product.

What the "brands" do that I don't like is a bit more subtle and legal. You can be buying a brand you're familiar with and expecting to get a particualar product and end up with another. That happened to me when Memorex switched to CMC. I simply stopped doing busisness with them. It wasn't "fake" merchandise, just an item I didn't suspect. A lot of people get caught in similar situations because brands change suppliers; sometimes better and sometimes worse for the consumer. But it's not a situation of "fake" merchandise. Fool me once...

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Here are a couple of good reasons I don't mind using the Made in Taiwan Sony media. You can read from the test the pertinent info. It was perfect on the disc "Quality" test and the "Read" test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Here is a Fujifilm-Taiyo Yuden from last year. "Good stuff". I have the TY media in other brands as well, including the Sony.

[​IMG]

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@brobear

When I said; "the only "MIT" media I would buy is Verbatim, otherwise I wouldn't let them near my burner." Meaning, any MCC003 or MCC004 made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation that was "made in Taiwan", then I would definitely buy it, or else I would never want waste a penny on MIT media, regardless of what brands.

Yes, I've heard that a few of Verbatim media is coded as CMC MAG, especially the "white pearl" or something similar. However, I have never seen and or encountered any CMC MAG [MID code], while using the 8X and 16X Verbatim "advanced azo". According to my experiences with the Verbs, they're far more superior than any CMC MAG. Evidently, it is true that I haven't used them much, but at least 200 plus with DVD+R and 40 plus on their DVD+R DL (MIS), and so far they're as flawless as YUDEN. Infact, it's on par with the famous Taiyo Yuden and the MIJ Maxell by Hitachi.

Like I said, my philosophy is "Made In Japan", especially for MAXELL, Taiyo Yuden, FUJI and SONY.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Here is a Sony-Taiyo Yuden from last year, another picture of perfection.

[​IMG]

We can officially say that AD has a thread with graphic proof using screenshots to support statements about media. Making it is sometimes easier than trying to hunt them down. ;)

6. brobear

brobear Guest

alkohol
    We have our preferences and there's nothing wrong with that. The tests I've been posting for the Taiwanese Sony as well as the TY media are showing 100% quality and the Sony was recorded this year and the Sony-Yuden was recorded in August 05. This just goes to show that the generic Sony is as good as the MIJ products. Besides the sterling scores from CDSpeed, these discs function well with the equipment. They meet both the quality and compatibility needs for good recording. So, Taiwan manufacturers other than Verbatim suppliers make top grade media. You can have a personal preference for the Verbatim, but it should be difficult to say other media isn't as good when you're given the proof that at least the Sony is. I'll dig up some of those Ricohs, if I can just figure out where I put them.

By the way, CMC hasn't been making the top line Verbatim, like the ones with AZO dye or DataLife Plus. Just be leery of the lower end -R line from Verbatim that is MIT.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  7. h-k

h-k Guest

Wow, I've never seen a scan with all zeros.

8. h-k

h-k Guest

A made in Taiwan SONY D11 burned @ 8x
    [​IMG]

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@brobear

I have a question in query to your scans, does your HP burner supported C2/PIF? Because according to my understanding, in order for Nero CD-DVD Speed to have a true/precise on the quality scores, Show C2/PIF will need to be "enabled or turn On". I can see it clearly that you have Show C2/PIF turn off or maybe it could be that your HP drive doesn't supported.

I'm just curious that's all. :) cheers!!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

alkohol
    Here's one you'll like a Verbatim DataLife 4X +R RicohjpnR01 recorded in Jan 04. Another 100 Quality score. Good media keeps going when stored properly. I had "Bulletproof Monk" on that one. Good action flick on a good backup. Not many dogs and kids mess with my video library. I cut extras for the ones the kids will abuse.

[​IMG]

11. brobear

brobear Guest

alkohol
    The burner doesn't support the full CDSpeed battery of tests. But if there was flaws, they'd show up with the ones that are supported. Ricoh based drives are the ones that normally support the full battery of tests, Lite-On, Plextor and the like. Most or all also do bitsetting as well. When my last drive went down, I bought what was available in a local shop. Had I had the time, I would have gotten a Plextor. By the way, the surface scans for read errors are also running 100%, which shows the DVDs are recording properly. I thought it even more redundant than posting the screenshots I already have. If these tests aren't enough, I can order up a new Plextor and run them again. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  12. gracie17

gracie17 Member

Those tests results are dodgy. I ain't heard of anyone getting a zero score let alone three with different media. I have never seen a dvd-rom with a perfect score.
    Sorry, thats not right.

13. A_T

A_T Member

brobear your scans are invalid. It's simply not possible to scan and get zero errors and failures. Basically I'm afraid your drive isn't working with CDSpeed.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Well, the program was suggested. LOL That means that KProbe is for Lite-On, Plextools are for Plextor, and CDSpeed is only good for those lucky enough for it to be fully supported. Sounds like there is a huge hole in this testing idea. Only part of the DVD burning public can join the "select" group of testers. As I pointed out to alkohol, only certain drives are able to fully support these tests you so love. I was aware of that before you graciously told me. But portions of the test procedure are covered as indicated by the test results. What isn't covered is the jitter and PiPo results. It still reads from the disc and checks for other errors, however few that may be. Since you point out nothing is usually perfect, the errors with the media I have would only be in PiPo and jitter. I'm not getting enough error there to cause read or write errors. That's enough along with the results to tell me the media is "good stuff". When/if I get a drive that fully supports these tests, I may waste my time with them again. What I do know is that the media I tested is working perfectly, whether you like to hear that or not. Guess it's back to those written text messages again. ;)

15. A_T

A_T Member

I'm sure your Riteks work fine for you. Just make sure you never get a drive that can test them properly - I wouldn't want you to be upset ;)

16. brobear

brobear Guest

I appreciate your kind thoughts. But don't worry, I'm never troubled by such trivial matters. ;) Besides, I stopped before I got to the Riteks. Since Lite-Ons are dirt cheap and "Wally" sells them, I may just pick one up to toy with. I can easily put it in where my DVD ROM is. Just a few bucks and with the "easy open" case, only a matter of two connectors and 4 screws for the slide in brackets. Less than five minutes for me to enjoy all that testing fun. ;)

17. ashj

ashj Regular member

After my last two scans using Maxell002 DVD+R (X8) and Maxell RitekR03 DVD+R (X8) he maybe feeling really happy.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Remind me in a few days and I'll rerun those tests on my newly ordered Plextor 716. I can use Plextools if CDSpeed isn't up to snuff. ;) Besides, Lite-On isn't considered to be as good as the Plextor, at least according to my tech oriented friends and the various forums. I weighed my friends recommendations more highly, they have personal experience, but with the forums and tech articles agreeing, I figured it was a no brainer. I like the looks of the new slot load as well and it being on sale at Newegg didn't hurt.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

A_T

One of our forum members, ashj ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/4/262544 ), had these posted elsewhere on the forum. There are afterall threads using screenshots here at AD. This has the more complete picture you and gracie17 are fond of. These didn't look too shabby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@brobear

Those G04 & G05 are not bad at all, pretty impressive. Anyways, since everyone is chipping in their 2 cents on those lovely scans, I guess I'll chip in a few of my sweet scans from MAXELL002 and YUDEN00T02 as well. :)Cheers now!!:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]