1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxell DVD-R Japan vs Taiwan Truth

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Sentagram, Jan 14, 2006.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

Looks like the "good stuff" is coming out about even. Looks like some of those forums doing comparisons need to run some of the scans themselves before coming to conclusions. Many comparisons are done from input as well as testing though. One thing I've noticed is that dissatisfied consumers are usually more vocal than satisfied ones. That can lead to a skewing of the perspective if one is just looking at consumer input. As consumers we expect quality and don't yell hooray when we get it, but we scream bloody murder when we don't.

Anyone have the figures on how low those Quality figures can go before there is a problem with playability and recordability of the media? I love those tests, but I like knowing the range of what's being tested as well. I know the higher the better, but how low can it go before actual problems creep in?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@brobear

I'm not a Nero CD-DVD Speed guru, but I strongly believe that anything from 15 - 20 on PIF and 50 or lower on Quality Score will freeze or pixelate soon or later.

Yes, I was once a Newbie when I first learned how to burn dvds a couple years back then, and yes, I once used Memosux due to my lack of knowledge. Last year, I scanned a few of my Memosux that I burned a few (3) years back then for some experiment, and man... I was surprised to see how bad the results of those scans turns out. Obviously, all of them freeze, skipped and pixelated after playing like 15 minutes or so. I tried to re-backup some of them, but DVD Decrypter couldn't even read nearly 80% of them, even I had "ignore read errors" checked/ticked, so I end up trashed them down the dumpster. That is when I vowed to never buy any of CMC MAG crap period. A few TDK has something like 20 PIF or similar and it stopped after 25 minutes, sad but true.

3. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

alkohol I like those scans and your deep knowledge of what is good and what is not if it were not for your links and Imput I would probably still be buying Memosux, Thank you for the Information you provided me with. I Now have Maxell DVD-R Made in Japan Discs with the Media ID MXL RG03 and just wanted your personal opinion on them if any thanks. One last thing if I may say I had like 125 Memorex that I just got by mail about 3 weeks ago before i read your input on DVD Media and because of that I was able to bring all of them back to the Store and get my money back, Thank you very much for the Information and keep informing people it realy helps.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

alkohol
    Were those older Memorex the -R format. I have Memorex that are a couple of years old made by Ricoh that is excellent media. So, not all Memorex was crap. I was using the +R media which went to CMC well after Memorex starting to use CMC for the -R. Currently I've heard of some Memorex being Ritek, but I'm not going to buy any to find out. LOL

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@brobear

Yes, those were the DVD+R only. I'm a DVD+R person, not just because I love to "book type" them into DVD-ROM, but somehow I prefer DVD+R over DVD-R. I can say that they're 95% coded as CMC MAG, sad but true, LOL.

6. ashj

ashj Regular member

Last two burns on Maxell002 DVD+R x8 and Maxell Ritek R03 DVD+R x8

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Usually get very good results with Maxell002, this batch was sent back.

By the way, these two disc's were both burned at x4 on Benq 1640 (booktype DVD-ROM).

The Riteks (out of 73 burned) all been over 95 quality

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  7. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

Yeah I would likely have sent those back aswell, and then Picked up some Taiyo Yuden if possible. Anyway I am new to the scaning thing and I am not realy sure on how to read the graghs but I do have an idea on how to read them. Would you be able to explain to me how to read the scan results thanks.

8. ashj

ashj Regular member

Hi Sentagram,

thing that hits the quality score most is a high MAX PI Failure.

Different players (DVD) can cope with different levels of max PI failure.

My xbox 360 got 20 minutes into that Maxell002 and started stalling and pixelating (first high PI failure, around 25) , where as my pioneer standalone played it right through pausing slightly 3 times during the last 15 minutes nearly coping with a PI Max failure of 92.

I'm not happy if a disc goes over 8,

anything around 20 and pixelation, skipping, pauses can occur in a lot of piccy dvd players and often spell trouble for the longevity of that disc.

as i said theres a wide variation between players.

I would'nt recommend using the xbox 360 for playing backed up dvd seeing the heat it builds up even when just idling leaves the disc hot.

maxell002 usually gives me a quality score of around 97-98 but every manufacturer has its bad batches, as long as they are few and far between.

* maybe this will prove an interesting read for ya
    http://www.cdr-zone.com/reviews/dvd_media_reviews/ricoh_16x_dvd_media_review_page_3.html

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@sentagram

You're welcome. Those MXLRG03 (mij) of yours should be good. They should be on par with their Hitachi High Grade Maxell002, if burned successfully and cautiously. Evidently, I'm a DVD+R person and I prefer DVD+R over any DVD-R, simply because I love to "book type" them into DVD-ROM. However, that does not necessary means DVD-R are bad. It's just my perspective only, and I know we're all entitled to have our own preferences and judgment. So the choice is yours.

Good luck!!

10. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

Thank you for your response and May I ask how the Book typing works and does that only work with DVD+R. I ask because I tried to set the book type the way you explained in one of your links but did not see those boxes and such is that because There must be a DVD+R in the Drive of what. Another thing I would like to ask is will a DVD+R be Just as compatible as DVD-R if book typed or not and I seem to not be able to blay the +R Format in my XBox would book typing them make a diference.

11. ashj

ashj Regular member

Booktype can only be set on +R (+R DL) and is generally held to be more compatible with older dvd players than DVD-R.

Though a lot of peeps using good media on DVD-R swear by them (even on older players)

Are you sure first of all your drive can have its booktype for +R media changed?

what make is it ?.

I had to have hacked firmware to allow my old NEC ND 1300A to change the settings.

No problem now with my BenQ 1640 and Qsuite.

12. Sentagram

Sentagram Member

I Have a Pioneer Model DVR-108 Burner with the latest firmware. I do not know how to find out if my Burner supports booktyping or not so please let me know, and what do you meen by hacked firmware. Thanks

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Hacked firmware is not what came from manufacturer support. It has been tweeked by "hackers" to achieve better performance and in some cases to get certain drives to function better or differently. Firmware is also what dictates the compatibility of a burner with media. In other words, the firmware is the directions for how your drive operates. Some people neglect to mention that DVD ROM drives and some standalone players can be flashed as well.

Unless Pioneer has changed their system architecture, it won't bitset. I had one, though not as new as yours. Maybe someone will confirm that. You can put in a DVD +R and if the window for booktyping doesn't open from Nero burn options, you've proved to yourself it doesn't have booktyping abilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  14. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I have heard that Buffalo firmware cross flashed to Pioneer will enable Bitsetting on the Pioneer burners. I do not , however, know where to get this firmware, nor how to get Pioneer drive to accept it. I also have DVR-108 (came with Sony Vaio computer bought 11/04.

15. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i can personally confirm that pioneer in fact HAVE NOT changed their architecture..i have the Pioneer dvr-109, but am using japanese buffalo firmware to make it bitset capable...naturally, this is what everyone is referring to when they say "hacked/modified" firmware~ :)

using the offical website's firmware, in this case, Pioneer, you will NOT be able to booktype your dvd+r to dvd-rom~ :)

the newest of Pioneers, the 110, comes straight from the factory to automatically booktype dvd+r DL media only, this does NOT hold true with regular dvd+r, only DL media~ :)

i am not familiar with the dvr-108's hacked firmwares, so i can't give you a suggestion as to what to use to make your drive booktype capable... :( but i could go on for DAYS about the dvr-109 though...hehe

docTY~

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Since I already had a visual aid prepared, just put in a DVD +R (only works with +R as mentioned) and follow Nero's instructions. If your system doesn't booktype, which others say it won't without hacked firmware (if available), then it will expand for options, but not have the booktype window shown below.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  17. brobear

brobear Guest

You also get that window from Options when you go to burn a project with Express or the Burning ROM.

18. forkndave

forkndave Member

As far as the Riteks go, about 99% of my G04 and G05 printables have gone bad after six months or so. This doesn't appear to be a problem with the non printables or the +R (printable or non printable). Here is a sample that was scanned 3 months after burning. It was not like this when burned. This is not an exception, but is more typical of my older Riteks.

Dave
    [​IMG]

19. forkndave

forkndave Member

I just burned a Verbatim 16X-R at 8X on my BenQ 1620 and it sure didn't turn out very well. Although this is worse than normal, the last batch of these I got are kind of bad at having ocassional high PIF spikes, although within limits (scores in lower 90s). I get the best scans with TY. I have had good results with the MIJ Maxells (both -R anfd +R) although not quite as good as the TY.

Dave
    [​IMG]

20. forkndave

forkndave Member

Well, one more and that's it. I reburned that last one on a Prodisc of all things and it looks OK. It was a +R 8X Prodisc burned at 12X. Actually, I have had fairly good luck with Prodisc. I have some that are a couple of years old and they still scan fine. They are all printable also. They're not as good as a TY, but they are certainly serviceable.

Dave
    [​IMG]